“Odd atmosphere, yummy food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Preston's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #18 of 110 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University City Blvd
Description: The leading restaurant in the New River Valley, Preston’s specializes in farm-to-table dining featuring premium meats and sustainable fresh seafood choices. Preston’s local artisan cheese selection, signature dishes such as the Cedar Plank Salmon, the locally famous Corn & Crab Cake appetizer, and - of course - sumptuous house made desserts are some of the reasons you want to visit. Preston’s is known also for its progressive wine list including many fine Virginia labels, hand crafted cocktails, and attentive service. Various nightly promotions make Preston’s always a fun place to celebrate great food and drink. Preston's serves breakfast and luncheon buffets daily with a rotating menu providing a variety of delicious fare including healthful selections. Dinner features an a la carte menu with selections for the most discriminating palette. Preston's is also the place for the New River Valley's finest Sunday Brunch.
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Odd atmosphere, yummy food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We chose to dine at Preston's to celebrate Valentines Day this year. Fine dining options are few and far between in Blacksburg and we really didn't want to drive to Roanoke. In addition, since so many people have a 'prix-fixe' menu on VDay, my husband and I were limited since I'm a vegetarian. I was excited to see that Preston's offered a full vegetarian 4 course menu option so we decided to give it a go. On the Saturday after Vday, we arrive at 630 to a restaurant that was about 2/3s full. The overall decor of the hotel/restaurant is a mix of Frank LLoyd Wright and a country lodge...its executed more successfully in the hotel than it is in the restaurant. So points off for atmosphere. The service was prompt and our dinner was fabulous. I had scallops, an arugala and cucumber salad with a very light cream dressing, the stuffed butternut squash and Bailys cheesecake. My husbnd had the crab and ham chowder, spinach bacon salad, brisquit, and lemon souffle. We were very happy with all of our choices and for only 80$ total for both of us, I know you can't beat the value that Preston's offered. I will definitely be back-especially since its 5 minutes from home!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
“Nice ideas, terrible execution.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Preston's is situated in the lovely Inn at Virginia Tech. Pretty, comfortable and very pleasant staff. Sadly, their food is lazy attempt at fine dining. Two in my party ordered salmon, two ordered steak. Both orders of salmon came out blazing hot. Salmon should never be that hot, so obviously it was overcooked. The steaks were both "made to order". Apparently, that is not accurate, or at least not with our order. My fiance ordered his steak medium rare, my mother ordered medium. Both steaks came out grey with a tiny bit of pink. In a place as 'upscale' as Preston's, this is unacceptable.
Another thing to note is on a Friday night, we were the only people there.

I would advise against Preston's unless you're going for appetizers and drinks. Our smoked trout crostini app was very good. I'd love to see Preston's improve and be the real fine dining restaurant of Blacksburg, but it seems they still have some work ahead of them.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Good food!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Preston's offers a comfortable, fine-diining setting and excellent food, although a bit pricey. Take your friends for a special occasion, you'll enjoy it

Visited December 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
“Great for the Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012 via mobile

When I travel alone for business I like to eat at the bar, if possible, which gives me a TV and bartender to talk to. So I missed out on the ambiance of Preston's dining room, but opted to enjoy the small service-bar for the dining room, instead. The servers all seemed to be college trainees, but were good, all things considered. Their attitude was excellent, and that goes a long way to making the grade.

The food was above average - not gourmet, but not far from it. The sauces were flavorful, but a bit on the salty side. The steak was tender and prepared exactly as I requested (rare/med rare).

For conversation, a meal in Blacksburg without being subjected to college-town fare, or a bit of quiet dining, Preston's fills the bill. If you are in town on business, I would recommend it.

Floyd, Virginia
“Lunch with tablecloths”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Hard to find a nice lunch restaurant in Blacksburg or Christiansburg. Buffet style which normally i don't enjoy, but the food is excellent. Flat rate including drinks and desserts. Friendly service. Real tablecloths. We plan to return when doing errands in this area. By the way, both the GPS and Apple Maps are wrong and place it north side of street near Hardees, it is on the south side.