We stayed in this hotel for about a month when we first came to Blacksburg. We stayed in a suite, on the fifth floor. Overall, this was a very good stay, with only a few minor problems.
All members of staff were very friendly and helpful - this was a definite plus point for this hotel. Our room was spacious, with a well-equipped kitchen area, including a fridge-freezer, a hob and a microwave oven. This kitchen/lounge area also had a large sofa and a small dining table & chairs. The bed was large and very comfortable. The breakfast, which was included in the rate, was fairly basic, but adequate - hot sausage & egg, waffles, fruit, yoghurt, pastries & bread. Juan, the breakfast chef, greeted everyone with a smile ...... and seemed to be there every day of our stay!
The hotel has an indoor swimming pool, which I used several times. It was clean and the water temperature was just right. The hotel also has a small gym, but I didn't use it. The hotel does not have its own restaurant, just a breakfast area in the lobby. The hotel across the road had a restaurant, but there were no other restaurants within a short walking distance. The Downtown area of Blacksburg is less than two miles away, and offers a number of different eating places.
The minor quibbles ..... the WiFi in our room was unreliable at times, so we would sometimes have to sit in the lobby, where the connection was fine. Our room didn't get made up everyday - but we stayed during some particularly bad weather, and I believe there may have been some staff shortages? Anyway, this wasn't a major problem for us. One thing that did become irritating was the other guests! During the week, the hotel seems to be "home" to a number of builders ..... and on the icy days (we had many in January!) they would turn on the engines of their big, noisy trucks - then go in for breakfast whilst their trucks de-iced! So, this was our early wake-up call most mornings! During the weekends, the builders were replaced by a large number of college students ...... so, on Saturday mornings, the breakfast area was just too busy and crowded to be comfortable ...... so, we just made other arrangements on Saturdays!
A long stay, and no major problems ..... I would recommend this hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Hawthorn Suites Blacksburg University Hotel
- Hawthorn Suites Blacksburg University Hotel Blacksburg
- Hawthorn Suites Blacksburg
- Blacksburg Hawthorn Suites
- Comfort Suites University Blacksburg, Virginia
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Comfort Suites® University offers easy access to Virginia Tech and a host of local restaurants and shops in Downtown Blacksburg, VA. This Blacksburg, Virginia hotel also offers convenient access to US Route 460, making travel to Christiansburg, Radford and Dublin easy. Other nearby attractions include: Smithfield Plantation Museum of Geological Science First & Main Shopping Plaza New RiverGuests of the Comfort Suites University hotel are invited to relax in the indoor heated pool or work out in the fitness center. A variety of outdoor activities including badminton, basketball, tennis, biking, boating, fishing and golfing are also nearby. There is one meeting room, which can accommodate 45 people for banquets and 75 for conferences. Other amenities include: Free wireless high-speed Internet access Free daily newspaper Business CenterYour Morning Breakfast is full of hot and delicious options, making breakfast at the Comfort Inn & Suites the perfect way to start your day. Enjoy our free hot breakfast featuring eggs, meat, yogurt, fresh fruit, cereal and more, including your choice of hot waffle flavors! If you're leaving early, a Your Suite Success™ Grab & Go bag is available for the two hours prior to breakfast.All rooms are either suites or oversized – perfect for families and others needing a little space – and offer a large desk with USB docking station, a flat-screen television with cable, coffee maker, microwave, refrigerator, hair dryer, alarm clock, iron and ironing board. Some rooms feature a sofa sleeper and kitchen facilities.This is a non-smoking hotel.Its perfect location and convenient access to area attractions make the Comfort Suites University a great place for business and leisure travelers in the Blacksburg, VA area. Book a room with us today, we look forward to your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, EasyToBook, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Comfort Suites University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.