“I wouldn't stay anywhere else” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Suites University

You added Comfort Suites University to your Saves list
Comfort Suites University
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1020 Plantation Road, Blacksburg, VA 24060 (Formerly Hawthorn Suites Blacksburg University)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Blacksburg
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“I wouldn't stay anywhere else”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Great hotel. Clean, spacious rooms. Great value. Breakfast was great although crowded. I must have gone downstairs when everybody else did. Quiet place, a mile from Starbucks and around the corner from Tech. I will stay here again when I return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We are a family of 5 with our youngest being 6 months old and this hotel was fabulous! We stayed here as a half way spot on our vacation. The indoor pool was warm enough for even the baby and we all loved it! We all fit comfortably in one king suite with the sofabed for the kids and there was room for the playpen too. The microwave and fridge made keeping and warming bottles very convenient. Hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. They even offered to match an internet price. Oh and go eat at Sal's pizza yum!

• Stayed July 2010
North, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I started staying here when my daughter was looking at VT over 5 years ago. She will be graduating this year, and I've tried to get this hotel every time I visit. Unfortunately it isn't always available since it is so popular.
The breakfast is better than most, the rooms are very clean and the staff is very friendly/helpful. It's nice to have the suite.
The hotel gets its fair share of sports teams traveling to play at VT, but I've never had a problem with noise.
You can't really walk to campus from here, but it is very close.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Amawalk, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2011

I love the suite concept where you feel like you have an apt more than a motel/hotel room. The Hawthorn is a very comfortable and classy place without too high a price tag. Close to the VT campus (less than a mile away) and very comfortable bed, large screen TV, LR and kitchen. It really allows you to spread out and unwind. You won't get great deals close to key college dates (like football games, graduation day or move in days) but you can find deals like we did in early December at 40% off making it as reasonable as most motels. Always my 1st pick when staying in Blacksburg if I can afford it. Only drawback is no restaurant onsite but does have a good hot breakfast buffet (complimentary)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

We booked this room at Hotels.com, which I will NEVER do again. They really are the worst. Our reservation was goofed up (they were having system trouble) so Samantha at the front desk called them to sort it out. Hotels.com asked to speak with me (I was already in the room). Hotels.com have apparently outsourced their customer service function to India, which I found frustrating because I was having trouble understanding her.

Anyway, Samantha ended up having to call on my behalf and hotels.com hung up on her twice! It was really frustrating. But she got it worked out for us.

As for the hotel, first the negatives: There is no bar or restaurant area. I'd like to repeat that: There is NO bar. After driving for 7 hours with my little kids I must admit...I needed a glass of wine like nobodies business. Next time I'll bring a bottle of wine or something. They do offer breakfast in the morning, which was nice. Also, I would have loved a hot tub or sauna in the pool area.

Now onto the positives: The staff was great! Samantha bent over backwards to make us feel welcomed and happy. She was so great that we tried to buy her a little gift while we were out (but the stores were closed).

The indoor pool: it was great to have a place where my kids could blow off some steam.

The breakfast bar: They have a thing where you can make your own waffles which the kids loved. They also had cereal, eggs and all of the normal "continental breakfast" standards. I thought that it was a nice variety and we enjoyed it.

The surroundings: The hotel is right down the street from Virginia Tech and is in a very beautiful, pastoral setting. From our room I watched two deer running around in the field next door. So sweet!!

I would definitely recommend this hotel and will plan on staying there again when we come back for football games.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Rochester, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed 2 nights. The location was perfect, the room was clean and well cared for. BUT my teen age daughter's over-sized beach bag was stolen, with her clutch bag, New York State photo-id (photo, age and our address and $30.00+, and a couple of gift cards with a few dollars left on them. This canvas bag was a gift the week before; inside was her Ipod, case and charger. artist sketch pad and artist pencils, toiletries (including 2 Bath and Body works lip gloss @ $7.00 apiece), a $20.00 library book and a spare car key (approx value $420)!

From what management told us, according to their electronic key card system, except for housekeeping, we were the only ones to enter our room.
Management assured us they had NEVER had anything like this happen before and their staff were trustworthy. The housekeeper even approached us as we were leaving to say she never saw the bag in question. That is just not true.
Not taken was the camera battery re-charger that had been removed from the bag and plugged into the wall. We were in town for a family wedding and luckily my daughter kept her camera with her for the entire weekend.
According to management, the room floors do not have cameras but the lobby and front entrance do. Via a follow-up phone call I asked if they had checked our arrival to verify we had the bag---the woman said essentially, "oh we believe you had the bag, just that we are not responsible for it's loss."
We initially realized the bag was missing Sat at 3pm, as we got ready for the wedding. As we were rushing to get to the wedding, we could not fully search for the bag until we returned from wedding/reception at 11:30pm 8/7/10.
The desk clerk informed us this was the 3rd Ipod taken within the month and one kid also had $100.00 taken with his Ipod. And he profusely apologized for this breach of confidence.
Sunday morning the assistant manager assured us the night desk clerk was "mistaken and that it was unfortunate that we had been given incorrect information."
I did report this to the Blacksburg, VA police department and have a case number. It has been a week, the officer in charge is just returning from military duties. No word yet on his findings. A call today was not returned.

The assistant manager said she would be talking to her manager to see if we could be reimbursed for the lost items. A week later still no word. Phone calls unanswered.

I do need to say we were not charged for our 2 night stay. But that does not equal the cost of the bag and contents (approx. $420.00).
My husband and I are Wyndham Rewards members (this is a Wyndham property). Needless to say we will not be staying at that property or at a Hawthorn Suites or any Wyndham property unless this is satisfactorily resolved.

Virginia Tech will soon be in session and football season has all but begun. Hotel space will be at a premium. Please if you stay at this property, protect your belongings. Otherwise you may be highly disappointed.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Traveled with our swim team and hotel was perfect for large groups. Management was accommodating to our early morning schedule as well as late checkout needs. Rooms were clean and large enough for families with 4 children to rest comfortably. Breakfast was great

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Suites University? Share your experiences!