Stayed here so oldest daughter could attend summer VT volleyball camp. Great location. 5 minutes from Virginia Tech campus. Parking lot well lit. No road noise. Nice carpet and decorations. Small "pantry" for sodas, snacks, etc. in lobby. Free high-speed internet.
Some restaurants in Blacksburg near campus. Tried Poor Billy's Seafood - absolutely DELICIOUS although a bit expensive ($130 for 4 but had two appetizers). Also, you can take Rt 114 toward Radford for others such as Outback, Texas Roadhouse, Subway, Red Robin, Starbucks and movies/mall. Only 6-8 minutes from hotel. General note - watch out for all those Virginia State Troopers and their speed traps. Dedicated to the speed signs, they are!
Lobby - beautiful, has small service restaurant and bar on one side, comfortable seating areas w/fireplace visible from both sides, TV, and table for family card game.
Indoor pool - separate heated bubble spa in same room. Pool towels there.
Exercise room - nice. bikes w/TV, weights, and other stuff. Very, very clean - has towels and wipes. Exercise room looks through windows to pool area.
Rooms - Had both a room w/ 2 queen beds and another room with king bed. All beds have some goofy adjustment to adjust the bed mattress to make soft or firm. Couldn't tell if turning the adjustment knob worked. Included microwave, small fridge, coffee/tea maker w/ tea bags! No safe in room. New clock radio w/ MP3 input cable for your iPod. Overall, clean room and bathroom.
Service - Why always last? Hotel staff very, very cheery, pleasant, and helpful.
Can't all be good cuddly kittens, right? Here's a few rubs although nothing to keep me from staying again...
1) The AC cools room real nice but when it reaches the set temperature, the blower shuts off. So, you get used to the sound of the blowing fan when you're sleeping and then the fan shuts off. Wait 11 minutes (timed it the first night) and the fan comes on. After a while, you get used to it and never noticed after the first hour.
2) The heavy curtains DO NOT close all the way since they would cover up the AC unit under the window. There is a sheer that goes across the entire window but it doesn't block out all light by any means. You're either having daylight (when you're trying to sleep in) or parking lot lights at night (when trying to get to sleep). If you think you'll be sleeping in, not a chance if the light bothers you. Unfortunately, a dumb decorating design w/o much thought to the traveler.
3) I couldn't figure out the cleaning staff's routine of when they cleaned the room. You would see a cart on the floor a few doors down at 10am and you thought your room would be done within an hour or two. You'd come back at 3pm and your room wasn't cleaned yet. End of the world, no. Just funny.
4) What I couldn't figure out was the vast array of silverware, glasses and coffee cups that were outside the rooms and how long they stayed there. Not sure if the cleaning staff who did the rooms took care of this or not. Odd.
5) People in the room above us were HEAVY walkers and at 2am, no less. I could hear them walking across the floor from what I imagine was the bed to the bathroom - I was awake because of the AC, I think :). I told our kids to walk easy for the sake of those below us.
Summary - Great place. Safe and CLEAN. I'll stay here again. AAA rate of $118 per room was a bargain.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.