“Never disappoints” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Clifton Park, NY
“Never disappoints”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel was clean, had a courteous staff, was close to VA Tech and was easy to find. I would stay there again. The only thing that would make it a bit better would be, free breakfast!
They charge $8.95 each, which is still reasonable but we passed on it. They have a great little bar in the lobby and if we had been able to stay another night, we would have loved to have a drink there. I think it makes it very nice when you can come back to your hotel and relax in a nice little area like that. All in all, it was great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Tampa, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have had 8 three night stays at this hotel and the staff has been very helpful. They allow me to store a weekend bag and the chef has been flexible when I have tired of the room service menu or just needed broth and crackers for a day I was feeling pinky. Quiet location right off downtown for selections of restaurants and some local restaurants delivered.

• Stayed October 2012
Allendale, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I, like many other people, stayed here over night before checking out/visiting the VT campus. It was a typical Hilton, clean, affordable, and in a great location! The staff was super friendly, and made my stay here very pleasant!! 

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn for the last five years on business. The all-around service has always been very good, particularly at the bar, where I always eat dinner. On my visit this week, in particular, the food was excellent! It was the best meal I've had at any Hilton Garden Inn. Thank you to Ryan, the chef!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Haymarket, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Ok...so maybe it was an off week or something -- but we just returned from a Blacksburg college visit weekend and had hoped for the same great experience we had had had at the HGI in the past. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Young women at the front desk seemed to be annoyed to be there and were less than friendly. We had requested a specific type of room on our reservation and was told it was not available and then the front desk staff said, "hope that's ok." I replied, that no, actually it was not ok, but at 10pm there were limited options. She had nothing further to say and quickly finished our transaction and we were on our way to the room. We soon noticed that our breakfast pass had not been included so I returned to the front desk and asked for it. Yet another less than happy staff person said, "well do you want it or do you want trip points?" I replied that our family preferred to eat in the morning, thanks anyway. Again, annoyed with the work to look up our room and fill out our form I was begrudgingly given the pass. Once in the room most everything was ok except for the temperature control....too hot, and it kept cutting off throughout the night. Just as it would cool off, it would turn off and not cut back on again until it was quite stuffy and unpleasant, resulting in a very non-restful night. Breakfast in the morning was very good, hot and a refreshing reprieve from the night before and the waitstaff were quite good and very polite. Given other options I will not go out of my way to stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask about temperature control.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
HGIbburg, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service with us. The problems you mentioned with level of courtesy you received from our front staff have been addressed. We appreciate you alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area.

Jeremy Allen
Staten Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

What was good about the Hilton Garden Inn, Blacksburg:

Clean.
Modern- 3 years old.
Refrigerator in the room.
Nice sized room.
The staff was excellent, friendly, accommodating.
Close to the Hokie Campus.
The restaurant serves a great burger.
Coffee and tea available all day long.
We especially enjoyed sitting in the area off to one side of the lobby. Just like sitting in our living room at home. Fireplace, couch, and large wall mounted flat screen. All the comforts of home.
Cookies at the front desk.

What wasn't great about the Hilton:

One of our 2 Queen beds was monumentally hard and uncomfortable My son slept on the other bed and he didn't have a complaint.
The Breakfast at the Hilton costs $9 each for a rather well cooked and tasty, variety filled breakfast. Additionally, fresh fruit, cereals, yogurts. Contrast this to the IHOP in Cristiansburg and the Hilton breakfast wins hands down. (The IHOP was terrible- flies and slow service.)
Adequate indoor pool and fitness center with a really soothing whirlpool spa. Much needed after a nights sleep on the queen bed in our room.
No fresh milk available for the coffee and tea in the lobby area during the day.

In all fairness this is a nice property. The desk manager did comp me when I mentioned to him that the bed was hard and didn't adjust. I wasn't looking for a comp but he volunteered after I mentioned that the bed was uncomfortable and that both my wife and I had back troubles from sleeping on it.
I will be waiting to see if he is good to his word when I see a credit for the 1 nights stay of the two we were there.

Overall quite an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Woodstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

many people have discovered the HGI Blacksburg as a first rate place to stay when visiting Virginia Tech or the New River Valley. Front desk staff are very friendly, helpful and courteous. Bright, airy lobby. Clean rooms. We've stayed at a number of places in the Blacksburg / Christiansburg area over the years and this is by far our favorite.

Room Tip: The king bed rooms have a step-in shower instead of a tub/shower combo.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Blacksburg? Share your experiences!