“Dinner service added after remodel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 106 Restaurants in Blacksburg
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Blacksburg, VA
“Dinner service added after remodel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We tried out dinner at their Bistro (reservations taken but we didn't need to make them) and their food quality to be very very good. My wife had the duck which was superbly executed. I had the lamb (a dish I am consistently disappointed with in most restaurants- I love lamb but it dries out easily) and was very very happy with it. Deserts were also first rate; as always. Mine was a white cake with a currant mousse and passion fruit. My wife's was yellow cake with chocolate mousse.

The most notable event was the soup. I like chilled fruit soups and they offered a coconut and strawberry fruit soup which both of us ordered. I tried it and didn't like it; just was a recipe not to my taste (I didn't like the Cayenne pepper). I shrugged it off, as, when you try new things sometimes you just find something you don't like. So I set it aside. Our server spotted this, inquired if something was amiss. I explained. She left. The head waiter appeared immediately and inquired- again I shrugged and explained. He offered me another soup. As I love their Tomato Basil soup I ordered it and received it as a replacement. As always, it was excellent.
All you can say, about this sort of service, is that it is excellent (oh, at it was also quite rapid).

Also, their dinner menus are relatively small but change daily (which I think is great fun).

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Review on new Bistro concept”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have noticed that no one has reviewed ODB's new French Bistro concept for dinner. My sister and I have gone there twice, and have both had mixed feelings about the overall execution. The menu is varied, and has been different each time we have eaten there. The food has been mostly well cooked and well presented. The service is attentive. The price is reasonable for an upscale restaurant. The first time we ate there, I had a piece of fish that tasted amazingly fresh and cooked to perfection. The Provençal tomato as a side was delicious. My sister had a steak that was also cooked just right and obviously high quality. We ordered charcuterie for our starter, and it was not good at all. Even the mustard served on the side was not authentic.
The new decor is pleasing with plenty of seating. The overall feeling was definitely French.
Our main complaint on our first visit, was the lack of knowledge of the staff. Our server had to go ask someone even the simplest question about the menu. She also hurried our order of our entrees with the promise that she would give us plenty of time for our first course. As you might guess, she brought our entrees before we were half way through the charcuterie plate. To me, that is a fatal mistake in a restaurant in that price range.
On our second visit, we found the menu changed, which I love. I love the way the restaurants in France change their menu at the chefs whim and the seasons. This time we both ordered steak. I ordered a sirloin that was around $15. My sister ordered a filet that was $19. Again the steaks were perfect. Mine was steak frites, and the fries were delicious. We ordered salads instead of a starter, and they were very ordinary. I would have expected something a little more inspired than lettuce, tomato, and cucumber in a bowl. Our desert was served still packaged as if it were a carry out item. The wine list is adequate but priced somewhat high, certainly not a good value.
In conclusion, ODB is doing a lot right. And we all know that Blacksburg desperately needs a good restaurant that appeals to grownups. I am hoping that they will get their act together and be a place where one can always get a high quality meal, and enjoy a leisurely evening with friends. I would go often.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Fredericksburg, VA
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Had breakfast while in Blacksburg on business. Had the brioche French toast and it was absolutely wonderful - it literally melted in my mouth. I'd go back any time!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Salem, Virginia
“Excellent pepper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Great selection of food here, including fab desserts. Get a cup of soup and a baguette sandwich, the take a pastry home with you later. Good pepper shakers: grind your own.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Fantastic Bread and Menu”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Our Daily Bread is a locals' favorite.

Great breads -- fantastic variety.

They also serve fresh, high quality sandwiches, salads, soups, etc...

The decor/ambiance are sort of blah, but the food is excellent.

Definitely recommend.