“Quick trip to Blacksburg for a wedding” 4 of 5 stars

Main Street Inn
205 S. Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060   |
Ranked #6 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Quick trip to Blacksburg for a wedding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

We were in a queen bed suite on the second floor. The room was clean but the sleeping and bathing area was cramped. We were right by the elevator but due to the sitting room separating the sleeping area from the hall we didn't have any issues with being kept awake by noise. Overall I would stay here again because it is conveniently located in downtown Blacksburg and is nicer than the other hotels in the area that I have stayed in.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Excellent location with Starbucks across the street and cabo fish taco next door. Walking distance to campus and all of the downtown restaurants. The suites that are $10 more are a little larger and have a king bed.

• Stayed November 2013
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I recently booked a room for my mom who was visiting for a birthday weekend. My apartment is not very comfortable, so I chose the Main Street Inn- for its location and because of feedback from colleagues. The room was lovely, the service was friendly (they were able to give us a later checkout date even though they were sold out) and the location allowed us to have a great weekend without a lot of driving. Although there was a boisterous (fraternity?) house nearby that was audible in the room during the day (but not extremely), the room was very quiet at night. Parking was a little snug, but consistently available. The Keurig coffee and biscotti in the lobby was a nice extra. Thank you!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Would definitely come back on my next visit to Blacksburg. Great location near restaurants and shops and a close hop to VT campus. The room was perfect size, not overly large, but enough space to relax. The front desk staff was very helpful and even let me borrow his personal iPhone charger for a few hours as I had forgotten mine! Whew. Used the free wifi (had to call and ask for the pw - no instructions in the room) but had no connectivity issues.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 317 - top level and back of the building - very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

I am a recent alum of VT, graduated in 2009. Thanks to my good education at Tech, I can say I have a good career going. In other words, I'm a potential hotel customer for (hopefully) the next 50 years in Blacksburg.

I selected Main Street Inn for two reasons, 1) it is close to everything, and 2) I had heard that it was very nice. I wasn't concerned too much about the cost. I was VERY excited about staying at the Inn and actually booked/paid my room in March! However, I left the Inn with many mixed feelings. I will share below my PROS and CONS of my stay.

PROS:
- Proximity! My goodness, it just can't be beat. It is close to downtown, and a short walk to the stadium and other parts of campus. I loved being out and about after the game downtown knowing the hotel was essentially next door.
- Close to bookstore
- Nice, luxurious and intimate lobby
- Wonderful bed

CONS:
- Rooms are a bit awkward in shape, though did appreciate the separation.
- No breakfast
- Parking was across the street, which wasn't too big of a deal, but the parking is on the top of the garage so a bit of a pain
- Room had wear and tear that I didn't exepct, scruffs on walls, etc.
- The room I had was a single with a small den area. I believe they are all that way. The couch pulled out to make a secondary bed. This is my MAIN problem with my experience. I had a third person with me, and I was charged an additional $25 a night. I understand this is a common charge in some hotels, especially when you have 5. However, most hotels are also not $260 a night. In all, my experienced cost me roughly $600 for two nights. I was perfectly comfortable with the $525 figure but, out of principle, I was very upset that an additional charge was applied. Other hotels have waived similar charges for me in the past.

OVERALL: This hotel was close to cementing itself as the only hotel I will choose to stay in when I visit Blacksburg. However, I felt nickled and dimed and I left with a bad taste in my mouth. I understand that its a football game weekend, but please also understand I have more than one option in places to stay and don't do silly things like charge me a third person.

Next time, I will look back to VT Inn and Conference Center, who waived or did not have that rule in the past. Or potentially the Holiday Inn or Hilton Garden Inn before the Main Street Inn comes back on my radar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Portsmouth VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Recently I attended a conference at Virginia Tech, which included a stay at The Main Street Inn.

Normally, I attempt to stay with the traditional chains for their predictability and knowledge that they will meet my minimum business requirements. However, circumstances dictate that I stay downtown, so it was with more than a little trepidation that I agreed to stay at this boutique hotel.

Upon arrival my reservations instantly began to diminish!

Parking was convenient and the location within steps of the University and restaurant district. Upon entering the main lobby, I found it immaculate, staff impeccable and with a friendly professional atmosphere reminiscent of my favorite Boston hotel. The trip to my room continued the positive reinforcement with an elevator that was clean and smooth, while the hall was bright and decorated by people of discerning taste and imagination. Upon entering my room, I was so pleased with the intimacy, décor and suite layout. Additionally, the room had all the business and personal amenities I have come to need and rely upon, plus a bed that reminded me of my own very expensive and comfortable mattress.

Returning to the lobby, on my way to dinner, I had the pleasure of encountering other guest that have found this local jewel and raved about its friendly atmosphere and predictable warmth, comfort and cleanliness.

If you ever find yourself in Blacksburg Virginia and harbor similar “small hotel phobia”, do yourself a service and try The Main Street Inn!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Jupiter, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Great location downtown, easy to walk everywhere you want to be in the 'burg! Our room had a suite and I'm told all are set up that way--bedroom and a sitting room, separated by the bathroom. The folks were all really nice as well. Three things to work on. First, the wifi. Free wifi is great, but it has to work. Our devices struggled all week to connect. Second, fans in the bathroom. I don't want to have to explain...no fan better mean the windows should open. Lastly, parking is at a premium. It was fine for us, but on a busy weekend I could see it being a problem.

Room Tip: if you can overlook Main Street, that is the money room (201 or 202)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Been to Main Street Inn? Share your experiences!