“Just ok” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
Manalapan, New Jersey
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

The staff is wonderful, could not be nicer. The facilities leave something to be desired. I wanted to love it here, the location is perfect. The rooms are hobbit sized, even my 10 year old thought it was claustrophobic. There is no dresser!? I have never stayed anyplace without a dresser and/or a desk but there is just no room. The sitting area is big enough for 2, there is no place to have a bite to eat.

The worst part was the air handling system. We were in room 202 which is next to the balcony. That would be the balcony where everyone goes to smoke. The stinky smoker air was sucked right into our room :-P The a/c unit is in the bedroom section of the room and in order to make the living room section comfortable you froze in the bedroom. With all of the options available we will not be returning.

Not even a continental breakfast was offered. Refreshments consisted of a keurig in the lobby with some store bought biscotti and a basket of apples.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
oldhokie, Owner at Main Street Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Thank you for choosing Main Street Inn for your lodging choice when visiting Blacksburg and Virginia Tech. I agree with your comments on our staff. They are wonderful. We hire the majority of our staff from the School of Hospitality Management from Virginia Tech and love our relationship with the school and its student body. Go Hokies!

I must agree that the particular room you were in is smaller than our other rooms. We only have two rooms of this size and indeed there is not a dresser but custom shelving built into the closet area.

This is the very first complaint we have had in regards to smoke being drawn into the room. Since we are a 100% non-smoking hotel, this concerns me and it will be adressed. I appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

The offerings in the lobby of fresh coffee, biscotti and apples are available 24 hours a day. In the morning we offer the addition of fresh baked muffins with an assortment of trail bars along with fresh orange juice. Home made cookies are at the front desk in the evenings.

Along with our friendly staff, our location cannot be beat. I hope you will reconsider and give us another try on your next visit to Blacksburg and Virginia Tech.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Terrible customer service, overpriced, tiny rooms, not clean. Did I say terrible customer service?
Management staff does not return phone calls. Not willing to refund our room, even when calling 2 months in advance.
Overall poor management, lousy rooms, and overpriced. I would not recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2013
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This place is both charming and affordable. Conveniently located in historic downtown this is a great place to stay if you're not looking for amenities. The walls are a little thin but the oops are nicely appointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was in Blacksburg this week and had the pleasure of staying at the Main Street Inn. Wow, it was nice. The room was split into a living room and bedroom. Although I was there by myself, for two or more people, there is ample room. I went out onto the balcony overlooking Main Street and that provided a nice view of the. Covered parking made it easy to get in and out and the place was spotless. The lobby was a nice place to read the paper and hang out. Taylor was working the desk, and she did a fantastic job. I also appreciated the personalized welcome note from Chris. Great job, everyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have stayed here a couple of times and both times we were very happy. The location can't be beat; it is an easy walk into town or to the campus. The rooms are clean and comfortable. We love the beds and pillows - didn't want to get up! We have stayed in the "king" suite each time, so I am unsure how small the other suites are, but they seem to make an awkwardly small building feel not so crowded to me. The only complaint I would have is that the shower rod is WAY too low. I am only 5'8" and I have to fully duck to get in and out - ugh. We did not hear any of our neighbors, but we have only really been there when classes are out and it isn't super booked. We will definitely always stay here for the convenience of location, cleanliness and comfort of the rooms and the helpfulness of the staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Outside this place is quaint, but inside the rooms it feels like a 75/night hotel, not 139. The wireless does not work and I could hear the neighbors television like it was in the same room. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel with walls this thin. I will never be back.

Room Tip: Reserve at a different hotel or bring your ear plugs
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
oldhokie, Owner at Main Street Inn, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write you review. I am aware that your decision to stay at Main Street Inn was for our excellent location. You were able to walk to your business and enjoy shopping and dining near by. It was unfortunate that you chose to "suffer" in silence with issues of TV noise from your neighbors and a bink in the internet. Both could have been solved so easily with a quick phone call to the front desk. It would have been preferable to have had the opportunity to solve your issues at the time they took place. No one is the winner when you choose to complain publicly rather than give us the opportunity to make your stay a pleasureable one. If we had been made aware of your issues, I can assure you, they would have been addressed immediately.
Stephens City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A wonderful little hotel with the feel of an old time inn. The parking can be challenging if you have a big car or SUV (under the hotel) but the location is superb! Rooms are nicely sized, well equipted and clean. Coffee in the lobby is wonderful. The small balcony (common area balcony) is perfect for parades or a cocktail. The lobby is like home--cozy and warm. Much better than the typical 'box hotel.'

Room Tip: football games and parades book quickly--book early!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Main Street Inn? Share your experiences!