“Delightful inn, Delightful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Main Street Inn
205 S. Main St., Blacksburg, VA 24060   |
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
Washington, DC
“Delightful inn, Delightful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I am a business traveler who likes to support the mom and pop businesses around my 5 state territory. The lovely folks at the Modern Language dept at Virginia Tech recommended this inn for my recent stay. It was very nice, spotless. The charm began with the 2 lovely students running the front desk. Great value for the $. No dining on site but Starbucks was across the road and a great Vegetarian restaurant around the corner (next to the movie theatre for breakfast too!). Very convenient to the nice eateries up and down Main Street. This is a keeper and my place of choice when on the road again to VT.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

124 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Potomac Falls, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

I called them up when I got into town for a VT basketball game. They gave me a holiday rate and let me check in early. Their Wi-Fi Internet was reliable and fast, and I was therefore able to work out of the hotel room until the basketball game.

I was surprised at how the rooms are set up like little suites with a living room area, a very nice bathroom with a spacious shower (complete with benches) and then a sleeping area near the back. Oh, and there are TWO flatscreen TVs in the suite! Sweet! (Only some pun intended.)

The best part about this hotel was the location. You can't ask for anything better than walking distance from all the restaurants and the various VT buildings. Parking was great, too. Location, location, location — this is the best location besides perhaps the Inn at Virginia Tech!

The only negatives I can think of about the Main Street Inn are just minor things — some noisy kids running the hall once or twice, likely while helping their parents unload the car. Not a huge deal, that could happen anywhere, and it didn't occur late at night. I could hear people talking from time to time, so I get the feeling the rooms aren't the most soundproof. The decor is refined, but pretty boring, in the suites themselves. The lobby and exterior are much better. The final knock would be the lack of amenities at this hotel. Unless I missed it, there's really no fitness center, business center, laundry facility, etc., that you could take advantage of like with some of the better chain hotels. If they do have these things, they need to do a better job of advertising/pointing customers to them.

Overall, if you want the best location in town for the best price and some really spacious, clean rooms with a comfy bed — and what more could you really ask for? — then this is a good place for you. Oh, and the guy at the front desk (Andrew? Can't remember the name for sure.) was very helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms facing South Main Street's direction have worse views — the top of some rusty buildings wi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011 via mobile

Everything was just fine from front desk on arriving and leaving, and the room. Staff was very, very helpful. Cookies and coffee in the lobby along with newspapers and tv.

• Stayed November 2011
Cashiers, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

My son and I went to Blacksburg to visit my daughter. The trip fell on a VA TECH parent's weekend but we managed to get a Thursday night booking at the Main Street Inn. What a treat. Beautifully decorated, immaculate and right in the heart of town, this lovely Inn was perfect in every way. The staff was professional and attentive and everything was elegantly executed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Visited Tech for a meeting and decided to stay at this hotel as I hadn't stayed there in any other previous visits to Blacksburg. I am a VT alumni. This hotel is very nice. Super clean and well decorated. I arrived a little early and they had my room ready. There was a personalized letter to me on the coffee table in the sitting room, very nice touch. Being right on Main St was great. I walked right over to the VT bookstore across the street a block over. Starbucks directly across the street and convenient parking to get anywhere else on campus. Great to be able to just walk out the hotel and get to all the restaurants downtown. I'd love to stay here on a football weekend, but I'm sure it's tough to get a room as the hotel only has 34 suites. I will definitely stay here future visits to Blacksburg.

Room Tip: All suites very similar, difference is some of a queen others a King bed in main bedroom. there is...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
oldhokie, Owner at Main Street Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Thank you for choosing Main Street Inn for your most recent visit to Blacksburg. Our excellent location to shopping, dining, theater, and of course, Virginia Tech is one of the many things that sets us apart from other lodging choices in the area. Once you park your car, you need never use it again. Friendliness of our staff, cleanliness, our comfy beds and our location is amoung our most frequent compliments.
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our Anniversary. It was reasonably priced, very clean, in a great location to walk to many restaurants. It was also very quiet. The service was friendly as well. We found it a charming place that we would visit again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights over a weekend while visiting friends in the area. No problems whatsoever, would definitely recommend as the rooms are nice, prices are good, and the hotel is near everything. The employees were very helpful. I needed a reservation for Friday - Sunday, but the hotels website said Friday was sold out. I called the hotel to enquire and they confirmed the hotel was sold out, butshe would call me if they got a cancellation. Sure enough, they called me back a few hours later.

The beds are very comfortable, and the rooms clean. As other reviewers have noted, the sitting area has no windows and can be a bit dark--but it was nice to have one so people could come visit.

The last night we were there, a Sunday, the hotel was deserted. I don't think there was anyone else on our floor, so we didn't feel too bad about turning up the music a bit when friends came over.

Will definitely stay here again. Nice hotel with friendly staff and a good value for money.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Main Street Inn? Share your experiences!