I don't usually make such public complaints, but this situation was just so unprofessionally handled that it makes me very sad to even write such a review.
Our visit was good until one point..
The interior is rather pretty with live turtles and fishes in a small pond. And big Chinese red signs in the hallway walls which looked pretty nice.
We were rather late - it was 9:20pm and we were the only guests. We ordered two vegetarian dishes that were overall good.
First, I still found a piece of bacon, though I don't eat meat (that's why I order vegetarian). But I was like Ok...everything happens, maybe they were cooking something right next to our dishes and it accidentally got in there. Though, I don't know what they were cooking if we were the only and last guests there.
We ate half and took the rest to go. After coming home we found something disgusting in that box inside the food.. It was some weird insect in our meal - it was obviously (yikes) cooked with everything. That's just gross..:(
More than that was gross, the insects and overall poor hygiene and food quality control are likely to jeopardize the health of guests of that restaurant. Especially students. As it's located in the heart of the university mall and many students dine here.
As it was late we called them up the next day and explained the situation. We did not want anything from them (though a good restaurant would do anything just for the sake of their reputation).. We didn't get any satisfactory response... It was kind of " ah, ok..."
Later, we realized maybe we spoke with someone who is not competent (new host or a server). So we gave them another chance and called them again explaining the situation and asking to talk to the manager or the owner. But the guy speaking to us said "oh, I can handle it".
hmmm...ok. We were still not sure who we were talking to, though..
He obviously was very unprofessional in dealing with the situation. It didn't seem as he was honestly shocked that something like this could happen in their restaurant and as whatever happened to us was an exception rather than a common practice...
He just said " I appreciate your feedback and, oh yeah, we are sorry it happened to you." We had a feeling that he just opened a manual on "what to do in such cases" and automatically read the phrases out from there.
He also said if you want you can come here with the photos of the insect you found (and we did took photos) and then we can talk about it. But.... Seriously. You make your guests come there again and prove that it really happened..??? Sorry, we are not wasting our time. And we are definitely not coming back.
We sincerely hoped that they just acknowledge that this case is 1 in a billion. And they make sure it will never happen with other guests. But no...
Sometimes it is just a matter of dealing with the situation. We understand that sometimes things happen at restaurants but.. If you don't deal with that properly, if you don't make your guests sure that such things never happen at your restaurant, then... you just don't want to keep your guests... And when such guests spread the word you lose even more potential guests. In a student town like Blacksburg with other excellent Chinese and other Asian restaurants around the competition is very high. It is very disheartening to see that some restaurants just take guests for granted and don't try to keep up with high standards. Even being an affordable (not high-end) type of restaurants.
If you own or manage Hunan King, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.