“Insect in the food.” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Blacksburg, Virginia
“Insect in the food.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

I don't usually make such public complaints, but this situation was just so unprofessionally handled that it makes me very sad to even write such a review.
Our visit was good until one point..
The interior is rather pretty with live turtles and fishes in a small pond. And big Chinese red signs in the hallway walls which looked pretty nice.
We were rather late - it was 9:20pm and we were the only guests. We ordered two vegetarian dishes that were overall good.
First, I still found a piece of bacon, though I don't eat meat (that's why I order vegetarian). But I was like Ok...everything happens, maybe they were cooking something right next to our dishes and it accidentally got in there. Though, I don't know what they were cooking if we were the only and last guests there.
We ate half and took the rest to go. After coming home we found something disgusting in that box inside the food.. It was some weird insect in our meal - it was obviously (yikes) cooked with everything. That's just gross..:(
More than that was gross, the insects and overall poor hygiene and food quality control are likely to jeopardize the health of guests of that restaurant. Especially students. As it's located in the heart of the university mall and many students dine here.
As it was late we called them up the next day and explained the situation. We did not want anything from them (though a good restaurant would do anything just for the sake of their reputation).. We didn't get any satisfactory response... It was kind of " ah, ok..."
Seriously ????????
Later, we realized maybe we spoke with someone who is not competent (new host or a server). So we gave them another chance and called them again explaining the situation and asking to talk to the manager or the owner. But the guy speaking to us said "oh, I can handle it".
hmmm...ok. We were still not sure who we were talking to, though..
He obviously was very unprofessional in dealing with the situation. It didn't seem as he was honestly shocked that something like this could happen in their restaurant and as whatever happened to us was an exception rather than a common practice...
He just said " I appreciate your feedback and, oh yeah, we are sorry it happened to you." We had a feeling that he just opened a manual on "what to do in such cases" and automatically read the phrases out from there.
He also said if you want you can come here with the photos of the insect you found (and we did took photos) and then we can talk about it. But.... Seriously. You make your guests come there again and prove that it really happened..??? Sorry, we are not wasting our time. And we are definitely not coming back.
We sincerely hoped that they just acknowledge that this case is 1 in a billion. And they make sure it will never happen with other guests. But no...
Sometimes it is just a matter of dealing with the situation. We understand that sometimes things happen at restaurants but.. If you don't deal with that properly, if you don't make your guests sure that such things never happen at your restaurant, then... you just don't want to keep your guests... And when such guests spread the word you lose even more potential guests. In a student town like Blacksburg with other excellent Chinese and other Asian restaurants around the competition is very high. It is very disheartening to see that some restaurants just take guests for granted and don't try to keep up with high standards. Even being an affordable (not high-end) type of restaurants.
Very disappointed...:(

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Great Chinese restaurant in college town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I dropped in Hunan King today while visiting the annual YMCA Craft show conducted in the surrounding shopping mall. This was my first visit - I'll be back.

The entrance to the Hunan King is through a long curved hallway, giving it a somewhat mysterious/adventuresome feeling. Around a corner and you meet the cashier/hostess who promplty shows you to a table. The inside decor is simple with a definite oriental ambiance. Interestingly, most of the other diners were Chinese students from Virginia Tech who seemed at home with the various dishes and using their chopsticks. I take this as an endorsement by the students that this restaurant is authentic and fits the students budgets.

We were offered the choice of the luncheon buffet or ordering a la cart from menus. Not knowing much about Chinese food the buffet was a safe choice for me. It was stocked with many meat dishes ranging from pork, chicken, duck and beef. I didn't realize there were so many kinds of egg rolls, they were serving 5 varieties today. The number of selections is not as large as I've seen in other Chinese buffets, but was more than adequate.

Total cost for 2 buffets and a beer was about $20. We'll be back not that we've ventured in for the first time.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Smithfield, Virginia
“Quick take out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Craving chinese and this was the perfect place. Generous quantity for the $$. Food was delicious and will go there again.

Visited July 2012
Blacksburg, VA
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Love the place. The food and traditional dishes are excellent!

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Good food for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Went there tonight and had the beef broccoli and the eggplant with garlic sauce and vegetarian rolls. Wouldn't get the rolls again (veggies had too much soy sauce or something) and the tea was over steeped, but the entrees were delish. The beef strips were good quality and not fatty/tough at all and the veggies were crisp, fresh, and not overcooked. Wait staff was attentive and I'd be interested to go back and check out the lunch buffet during the week.

I think this is probably going to be the best choice for Chinese/Asian in the Blacksburg area and there appears to be a second non-Americanized Chinese menu that I saw with several tables of international students (I glanced at the menu as we were paying as well).

Been to Hunan King? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Hunan King, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

;