“Great Chinese restaurant in college town” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
Christiansburg, Virginia
“Great Chinese restaurant in college town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

My wife and I dropped in Hunan King today while visiting the annual YMCA Craft show conducted in the surrounding shopping mall. This was my first visit - I'll be back.

The entrance to the Hunan King is through a long curved hallway, giving it a somewhat mysterious/adventuresome feeling. Around a corner and you meet the cashier/hostess who promplty shows you to a table. The inside decor is simple with a definite oriental ambiance. Interestingly, most of the other diners were Chinese students from Virginia Tech who seemed at home with the various dishes and using their chopsticks. I take this as an endorsement by the students that this restaurant is authentic and fits the students budgets.

We were offered the choice of the luncheon buffet or ordering a la cart from menus. Not knowing much about Chinese food the buffet was a safe choice for me. It was stocked with many meat dishes ranging from pork, chicken, duck and beef. I didn't realize there were so many kinds of egg rolls, they were serving 5 varieties today. The number of selections is not as large as I've seen in other Chinese buffets, but was more than adequate.

Total cost for 2 buffets and a beer was about $20. We'll be back not that we've ventured in for the first time.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Smithfield, Virginia
“Quick take out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Craving chinese and this was the perfect place. Generous quantity for the $$. Food was delicious and will go there again.

Visited July 2012
Blacksburg, VA
“Great food and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Love the place. The food and traditional dishes are excellent!

Blacksburg, Virginia
“Good food for the area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

Went there tonight and had the beef broccoli and the eggplant with garlic sauce and vegetarian rolls. Wouldn't get the rolls again (veggies had too much soy sauce or something) and the tea was over steeped, but the entrees were delish. The beef strips were good quality and not fatty/tough at all and the veggies were crisp, fresh, and not overcooked. Wait staff was attentive and I'd be interested to go back and check out the lunch buffet during the week.

I think this is probably going to be the best choice for Chinese/Asian in the Blacksburg area and there appears to be a second non-Americanized Chinese menu that I saw with several tables of international students (I glanced at the menu as we were paying as well).

Raleigh, NC
“Just so-so”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2009

I ate at the Hunan Garden in University Mall on a business trip to Virginia Tech. First, the good: the proprietors were friendly and the wait staff were efficient and very attentive. The menu is typical of Chinese restaurants, with some chefs specials and the usual assortment of appetizers, stir-fry dishes, sweet and sour, etc. The less-than-good: the restaurant is located in a small and sort of sad little mall, University Mall, and appears to be the only full-scale restaurant in it. The restaurant is clean but somewhat tired looking (worn carpet, etc.). I didn't see a wine or beer list on the menu, but I ordered a glass of chardonnay, which was OK and reasonably priced ($3.75) but a little small. I'm sure there are some good dishes here, but the one I ordered--a chef's special of shrimp and walnuts with broccoli--was not great ($13.95). It came with a sort of white glaze that was a little cloying, and I wasn't able to get through a lot of it before calling it quits. The presentation, though, was really nice, with a ring of sliced orange around the edges. Some of the other dishes, such as the sizzling beef, looked better. The spring roll was about average. In all, for a quick meal in a mall setting, Hunan was about average. It's probably a better place to visit with several people who can share dishes and enjoy some variety.