Stayed here over a big football weekend and drove up to the hotel without a reservation to see if any cancellations had been made, as this hotel like every other one within a 30 minute drive of the stadium had been sold out for weeks. Rooms were available at a rate of $219. Just as we were about to check-in, someone said that they had an extra room on their reservation and would get penalized if they cancelled it, so they kindly allowed us to check-in to one of their rooms- their rate was only $109 with breakfast- and NO 2 night minimum!!
The hotel room itself was just okay; it reminded me of a quality inn/ best western. Holiday Inn hotels have been undergoing renovations to their hotels and I would have thought that this one would have been a hotel that would have already been renovated or at least in the process, because it is due for one! The room was clean, but dark, boring, and dated. The bed was clean and comfortable. Our room was located near the lobby and had a king bed and pull out sofa. It was on the first floor with a sliding glass door out to the pool, which was nice. The hotel seemed so quiet; we could not hear a thing in our room. The bathroom was tiny and could also definitely use a renovation.
The hotel had one free public computer and printer to use off of the lobby, I also believe that there was free internet in the rooms, but it wasn't wireless.
One of the best things the hotel has going for it is it's location to the VT campus, stadium/sports areas, and downtown Blacksburg. The hotel offered a shuttle to downtown and other nearby areas. We took it downtown and then walked back later that night (by choice) it wasn't a bad walk at all- perhaps 20 minutes if that. I also heard one of the employees telling guests that they could walk to the stadium in about 20-30 minutes.
The hotel has a restaurant and a small lounge. We had drinks at the lounge during their happy hour- discount drinks and free snacks (buffalo wings/chips). We had a breakfast voucher for their restaurant where they were only offering a breakfast buffet. The buffet was average if that and I would not have paid for it if it was not included with the room.
Hotel has an outdoor pool and small indoor pool, but no hot tub.
All the staff I encountered at the hotel were very friendly!
I've definitely stayed in much nicer hotels and much nicer Holiday Inns for that matter, but for the price and location, especially on a big football game weekend, this place good not have been beat!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover all that Blacksburg has to offer at the 100% smoke-free, convenient, comfortable Holiday Inn University. You are at the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, shopping, dining, entertainment and the arts. You are within easy walking distance to Virginia Tech. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, BookIt.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg Hotel Blacksburg
- Holiday Inn Blacksburg
- Blacksburg Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg Virginia