“Decent Hotel for price and location” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington D.C.
“Decent Hotel for price and location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Stayed here over a big football weekend and drove up to the hotel without a reservation to see if any cancellations had been made, as this hotel like every other one within a 30 minute drive of the stadium had been sold out for weeks. Rooms were available at a rate of $219. Just as we were about to check-in, someone said that they had an extra room on their reservation and would get penalized if they cancelled it, so they kindly allowed us to check-in to one of their rooms- their rate was only $109 with breakfast- and NO 2 night minimum!!
The hotel room itself was just okay; it reminded me of a quality inn/ best western. Holiday Inn hotels have been undergoing renovations to their hotels and I would have thought that this one would have been a hotel that would have already been renovated or at least in the process, because it is due for one! The room was clean, but dark, boring, and dated. The bed was clean and comfortable. Our room was located near the lobby and had a king bed and pull out sofa. It was on the first floor with a sliding glass door out to the pool, which was nice. The hotel seemed so quiet; we could not hear a thing in our room. The bathroom was tiny and could also definitely use a renovation.
The hotel had one free public computer and printer to use off of the lobby, I also believe that there was free internet in the rooms, but it wasn't wireless.
One of the best things the hotel has going for it is it's location to the VT campus, stadium/sports areas, and downtown Blacksburg. The hotel offered a shuttle to downtown and other nearby areas. We took it downtown and then walked back later that night (by choice) it wasn't a bad walk at all- perhaps 20 minutes if that. I also heard one of the employees telling guests that they could walk to the stadium in about 20-30 minutes.
The hotel has a restaurant and a small lounge. We had drinks at the lounge during their happy hour- discount drinks and free snacks (buffalo wings/chips). We had a breakfast voucher for their restaurant where they were only offering a breakfast buffet. The buffet was average if that and I would not have paid for it if it was not included with the room.
Hotel has an outdoor pool and small indoor pool, but no hot tub.
All the staff I encountered at the hotel were very friendly!
I've definitely stayed in much nicer hotels and much nicer Holiday Inns for that matter, but for the price and location, especially on a big football game weekend, this place good not have been beat!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
DOSCI, DOS at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 20, 2009
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. As we prepare to relaunch, you will notice change is everywhere! We are currently in the process of renovating our bathrooms and making the necessary changes to update our rooms. We also offer complimentary wireless internet. We hope to have you stay with us in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2009

I got badly food poisoned while in Blacksburg, and the people at the Holiday Inn (particularly "Rick") couldn't have been nicer. It's no fun to be seriously sick away from home, but I am so glad I was staying at this hotel -- Rick drove over to Kroger and got me medicine and some crackers, since I was unable to leave the hotel room myself. It was pretty clutch - I don't think other hotels would have done this.

It was a pretty typical hotel room otherwise. The bed was comfortable, which is a plus. It was quiet, but they do have construction out front right now - I had a room facing the interior of the hotel. Really, the thing that makes this hotel is the people. If you're in a tough spot, this is where you want to be staying.

PS - I strongly advise against eating at "Gillie's".

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
DOSCI, DOS at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Hi MPecas,

I am sorry to hear you were sick during your stay here, but I am very happy to hear Rick was able to assist you. We look forward to your next visit with us!
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Blacksburg for a family wedding that was held at the VT Chapel at the beginning of May. We usually stay in rooms that start at $250 and were blown away with the room on the executive floor (2nd) which was only $105 per night....what a steal! Our room featured an amazing king bed much like the Heavenly beds you would find at a Westin Hotel. Granite counters and a high sink in the private bath along with a fantastic shower head. Roomy closet and the best part - we estimated it to be a 52" Plasma TV with all the HBO movies you could ask for! A nice loveseat and desk to put our computer on with free internet. We had great drawer space. A huge dresser with granite counters was under the TV along with another side dresser by the bed that included a coffee pot with granite counters and additional drawer space. We were blown away because we thought what kind of room could we possibly have for $105 a night! We had originally planned to stay at the Virginia Tech Inn but decided at the last minute to stay at the Holiday Inn because that is where the family wanted to stay...and we are very happy we did! If you want to have a nice get away we would highly suggest this hotel but make sure you ask for the Executive level because all of their rooms are not created equal! The only complaint which is minor is that the in room coffee is Maxwell and I am not particular on hotel room coffee and this was the first time I had Maxwell - well last just say it is not good till the last drop! I would suggest them spending a little more money and find a better brand of coffee.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DOSCI, DOS at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 4, 2009
Hi Winetravels,

We appreciate your positive feedback! I will look into other brands of coffee and see what other options we have for our guests. Thank you!
DC area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

If you're new to Blacksburg and come in from I-81, know that it's about a 15 minute drive from the interstate to town. There are no good places to get gas or food until you hit town.

Stayed one night for a VA Tech scrimmage game. Rate was high because of the popularity of the game ($178; rates go up to $250 during regular football season). Fantastic location across from campus, as well as close walking distance to grocer, drug store, restaurants, Starbucks, banks, etc. Check out Log Cabin BBQ, and if you're willing to drive, Carolee's for donuts.

Average size double-bed room with all conveniences. Comfy chair and ottoman, desk, TV (not flat screen, no HBO), small fridge and microwave, weekday newspapers, safe (laptop won't fit), good blackout curtains, plenty of lamps. As the hotel was full of noisy children, I ran the fan all night for white noise and slept well. Free wifi and dial-up (!) in room (no fast wired Internet connection in room). Modest bath with hair dryer, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and soaps. Iron and ironing board. Soft mattress. Very clean!

Two restaurants, lounge with live music some nights, room service. Pretty landscaped grounds and flat neighborhood for walking. Small exercise room. Two pools -- indoors and outside. Computer and printer in a hallway in the lobby worked fine for checking email (30-minute limit for use if someone else needs the computer). Note: there is no elevator in this hotel, but there are handicapped-access rooms on the first floor. You can park right next to your room.

Ask for a room away from the restaurants and live music and also try to get 2nd floor if you're a light sleeper. Lots of noisy feet overhead otherwise during weddings and football games.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
DOSCI, DOS at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, May 13, 2009
Thank you for your feedback, deltaskye. We appreciate your thorough review. I am glad your overall stay was enjoyable and that you would recommend our hotel to a friend!

Next time you stay with us, consider using the full service gym next to the Log Cabin BBQ at University Mall. Guests of the hotel have complimentary full access to The Weight Club. If you have any future special requests, please let our team know, and we will be happy to accommodate you!
Richmond, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I have stayed here at the Holiday Inn in Blacksburg several times over the last decade. The recent renovations have been nothing less than spectacular. The room and hotel were clean, modern, and elegant. The amenities like the large HD television and access to a full gym were a wonderful addition. I’m looking forward to many more returns.

Stayed December 2008
DOSCI, director of sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, January 30, 2009
Dear Kurtis_K, I am glad you enjoyed the renovations! Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Northern VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We spent a weekend at this hotel. What a relaxing experience. The room was in great shape. Our overall experience was fantastic. The room service was prompt and attentive.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Blacksburg.

• Liked — THe quality and cleanilness of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DOSCI, director of sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2009
Dear VTechFan, Thank you for your recommendation! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. We look forward to your return in the future!
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

The hotel was OK until there was no hot water in the morning. When I informed the desk person, she said that if too many people got up at once, the hot water would run out. My translation: in order to hold down costs, the hotel was constructed with an inadequate hot water supply. So I had a cool shower and only cool water for shaving. Unacceptable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No hot water in morning
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TMartinGretna_VA, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 24, 2008
Dear Econ-ric,
Thank you for your feedback. First of all I sincerely apolgoize that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is completely unacceptable that you did not have adequate hot water during your stay. I am sorry that our front desk clerk misinformed you as to the reason as well. I assure you that we work very hard to provide each and every guest with hot water. We are currently remodeling our hotel and in this remodeling we have experienced water situations that are unique to the project. We are working very quickly and as hard as possible to prevent these problems from occuring again. I would hate for this issue to prevent you from returning to our hotel. We have a great location as well as a great staff! If you are interested in returning please contact me directly and I will personally oversee your stay.
Whitney

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!