“Great Football Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Northern VA
“Great Football Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2009

We spent a weekend at this hotel. What a relaxing experience. The room was in great shape. Our overall experience was fantastic. The room service was prompt and attentive.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Blacksburg.

• Liked — THe quality and cleanilness of the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
DOSCI, director of sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, January 16, 2009
Dear VTechFan, Thank you for your recommendation! We appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your experience. We look forward to your return in the future!

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

The hotel was OK until there was no hot water in the morning. When I informed the desk person, she said that if too many people got up at once, the hot water would run out. My translation: in order to hold down costs, the hotel was constructed with an inadequate hot water supply. So I had a cool shower and only cool water for shaving. Unacceptable.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No hot water in morning
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
TMartinGretna_VA, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 24, 2008
Dear Econ-ric,
Thank you for your feedback. First of all I sincerely apolgoize that your stay did not meet your expectations. It is completely unacceptable that you did not have adequate hot water during your stay. I am sorry that our front desk clerk misinformed you as to the reason as well. I assure you that we work very hard to provide each and every guest with hot water. We are currently remodeling our hotel and in this remodeling we have experienced water situations that are unique to the project. We are working very quickly and as hard as possible to prevent these problems from occuring again. I would hate for this issue to prevent you from returning to our hotel. We have a great location as well as a great staff! If you are interested in returning please contact me directly and I will personally oversee your stay.
Whitney
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I chose the Holiday Inn because of it's close proximity to Virginia Tech. I was a little concerned about booking a room there because of the mixed feedback I read on this site. I decided to email the hotel and ask them if they could guarantee me one of their newly renovated rooms (since most of the complaints seemed to be with the older rooms) -- and they replied that they could. When I arrived, I was very pleased. The room was spacious, clean and very well appointed. There was a large flat screen TV with many cable stations to choose from, a small refrigerator, built in cabinetry and granite countertops in the bathroom. Additionally, due to the many entrances to the hotel, it was very convenient to come and go from the room during my stay.

• Liked — renovated room, clean, convenient
  • Disliked — nothing - it exceeded my expectations
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
TMartinGretna_VA, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 13, 2008
Dear SKSULLI,
Thank you for taking the time to provide our property with your feedback. We really appreciate knowing that our guests want to help us improve. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms as we are especially proud of those rooms. We are also glad to hear that you felt the hotel was a convenient location and helped you get to your destinations with ease.
We hope you will visit us again soon!
Tazewell, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

We were in town for a wedding and stayed at the Blacksburg Holiday Inn. We've stayed several times before and have always been very satisfied. The rooms are always clean, fresh smelling and well appointed. Great location just across the street from VA-Tech if you’re in town for a game. Easy access to downtown Blacksburg and lots of restaurants. A friendly staff has always greeted us. I would recommend it for anyone and for any occasion. Nice lounge, restaurant and pool on site also.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Dear DavidandCarolyn,
Thank you so much for your feedback. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed your stay. It is our loyal, repeat guests such as yourself that make us successful. We hope to see you at our property again in the near future.
virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

This is the second time we stayed at the Holiday Inn. The first time we didn't know better. The second time we couldn't find anything else close to VA Tech (moving our daughter in). The bathroom was in severe need of renovation. There was mildew all over the shower walls, 2 of the vanity tiles fell off in the middle of the night, the AC unit was extremely loud. One thing I do have to give kudos to is the food. We had breakfast both mornings and it was pretty good.

• Liked — Comfortable bed
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WhitneyAltizer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 24, 2008
Dear OurtravelsVirginia,
Thank you for all of your helpful information. We really appreciate the opportunity to address all of the items that were concerns. I sincerely apologize if we caused you any inconvenience during your stay. Your feedback can help us make needed improvements. However, I am happy to hear that breakfast was a pleasant experience on both mornings.
Our hotel is currently undergoing many renovations including the AC units and bathrooms. We appreciate your bringing the issues to us and we are already acting on getting these items renovated. We aim to have all of our guest rooms completely renovated by Spring 2009. I am sorry that your stay was not wonderful and if you wish to return again please contact me personally and I will assure you that it will be the best stay in Blacksburg!
Washington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

We think this is a great hotel for visiting VA Tech. We had two rooms one on the first floor overlooking the parking lot (my request) and one on the second floor overlooking the pool. Neither room had any of the issues the previous poster had with regard to cleanliness or air conditioner problems. The staff is wonderful. One night my husband bought a bottle of wine, we of course didn't bring a wine opener, I took it to the front desk where not only did the young lady offer to have it opened and brought to the room but asked if we would like wine glasses. The staff was always friendly and helpful whether it was 6am or 6pm. We went to brunch there on Sunday morning, we didn't have alot of time but there were quite a selection to chose from (including big crab legs)...it was a great value too at only $13.95 a person. They only thing I wish this hotel had was more guest washers/dryers. We were there with our son who had leave after his first week at vt and he had is laundry with him. There were alot of other VTCC staying at the hotel with the same thing in mind. I'm sure this is probably the only time the hotel runs into a line for the w/d, but maybe they could add a couple more upstairs or at the end of each wing. Other than that we will definately be back to the Holiday Inn, the staff alone was enough to bring us back but I really did enjoy the Sunday brunch.

• Liked — Great staff, location, Sunday brunch
  • Disliked — only 1 quest washer/dryer for entire property
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
WhitneyAltizer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 23, 2008
Dear Aatatusko,
Thank you for your feedback. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have made many improvements over the past few months and it is great to see that you were able to experience our new service standards. Thank you for the suggestion regarding additional washers/dryers for the property. I have brought this request to the attention of our General Manager and he is currently working to see if this will be an option for us.
We hope to see you again soon for the night or Sunday Brunch!
north carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

This was one of the worst hotels I have stayed at. Though it is close to campus and downtown, I will never stay there again. It used to be the place to stay and now it is definitely not. They raised their prices and apparently lowered their standards.

We walked in at about 12:30am after a long drive and were ready to just get into bed and fall asleep. The bathroom was so dirty we decided to wait to shower. The worst part was the window unit. Every ten minutes the window unit would turn up rediculously loud for about 5 minutes. Then it would stay on but not quite as loud and repeat the next 10 minutes. When we complained to the front desk the next morning, they said "yeah, some of them do that".

Doesn't sound like they're going to be fixing it any time soon. If you stay, make sure you bring your shower shoes with strong soap and some heavy duty ear plugs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
WhitneyAltizer, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, August 7, 2008
Dear often_travels:
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our property. We strive to make every guest stay an enjoyable one, and I am very sorry that we were not able to do that for you and your family. We do appreciate the opportunity to retrain our staff and take care of the housekeeping and maintenance issues you experienced during your stay. Since your stay we have retrained our housekeeping department and are in the process of replacing all of the window units in the rooms. I know that these changes do not change your experience, but I sincerely hope that these changes would persuade you to give us a second chance.
It is loyal travelers like you that allow us to make the necessary improvements and deliver the product that we promise.

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!