“Fit our needs perfectly.” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Fairfax Station, Virginia
“Fit our needs perfectly.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We needed a place close to Virginia Tech and this was perfect. We did not have a reservation but Adam at the front desk was able to get us in at a great rate! The room was spacious and clean. We plan to stay here again when we do the formal tour of Tech.

• Stayed July 2014
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We are so happy we fit your needs perfectly. We can't wait to see you again during your next visit to VT.

Ken Rogers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Very clean rooms; perfect location to Virginia Tech. Front desk associate, Van, went above and beyond to assist in a personal matter on short notice. All front desk associates I worked with were very professional and friendly.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms won't have car lights and horns beeping from being locked, right outside your wi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review. We hope to serve you again soon!

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I read most of the reviews of this hotel before writing mine because I wanted to see if our expectations were too high, or if others felt the way I did. We travel a lot and stay in hotels several times a year, so we know a good one when we find it. The Holiday Inn - University Blacksburg is the hardest hotel I've ever reviewed because it has so much going for it, yet fails on some of the most basic things.

The staff of the hotel are unfailingly friendly and helpful. In fact, I have the feeling they are working extra hard to please the guests and compensate for the hotel's other shortcomings. It almost works! It's hard to write an honest review when you see such nice and earnest people working so hard to make you happy.

The rooms are fine. The beds are soft and very comfortable, and we had all the amenities we needed. Yes, the A/C is loud, but that's typical in hotels this old and I never travel anywhere without ear plugs, so no problem. Cleanliness, however, is an issue.

The rooms are only getting quick surface cleaning and you don't need a white glove to see just where it stops. The dust was so thick on the TV cable box I could have written my name. While trying to find an outlet next to the bed to charge my phone, I was disgusted by the filth behind the nightstand. If you stay here, don't go looking for dirt because you will find it. The bathroom did seem clean, though.

It's the little things that niggle. The water from the melted ice in our ice bucket was there when we arrived, and never emptied by housekeeping our entire 3 nights in the hotel. The one glass drinking glass (plastic Dixie cups were plentiful) in the room was never replaced with a clean one, although it was clearly used each night. The bed coverlet was not replaced with a clean one after I'd dropped a small bit of food from room service on it. The phone in the room didn't work and it took 3 calls to the front desk from my cell phone to get someone to fix it.

The problem is, this hotel is way too expensive for what it is: an old facility with some housekeeping problems. If we come back to Blacksburg, I think we'll go elsewhere. However, I am sure we'll never find a friendlier place.

Room Tip: We didn't mind schlepping our luggage up the stairs to a second floor room with a courtyard view...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your candid review and for complimenting our team. Please allow us to apologize for the shortfalls you have experienced. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity show you our improvements on your future visit to Blacksburg.

Rock Hill, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

My wife and I were in Blacksburg visiting our daughter and triplett Grands and chose this hotel for its location, being close to our daughter.

What a great experience! The staff was extremely welcoming when we arrived and check-in was a breeze. Special thanks to Ryan and Adam for their help in making our stay special! Thanks, Guys!

Room Tip: We were able to get a 1st floor room close to the fitness center and pool area.
Green Features: Not sure about policies;however, we did see where Recycling was practiced.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the 5-star review and for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to serving you again when you visit your family!

Columbia, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We had a great stay at the Holiday Inn Blacksburg. Ryan, Van and Adam made our vist so great. They were very professional and helpful!!!! The hotel was clean and the restaurant was good. Great location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
HIGM1, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you for leaving us a review. We hope to take care of you again soon!

Amanda M
Front Office Manager
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have been staying at the Holiday Inn University Blacksburg for the last month while completing a research program at Virginia Tech. My stay has excelled my expectations. From check-in, Adam, Ryan, and Van have greeted me and provided me with everything I need to make my stay most comfortable. They have had great recommendations for places to visit and eat, and have even provided the Holiday Inn Van to take us to and from dinner on a few occassions. This staff is so accommodating and kind. The rooms are clean, the breakfast buffet has a wide variety of choices, and the lobby and pool atmospheres are most relaxing. Even though I am not at home, the accommodations and friendliness of the staff have made me feel like family.

Green Features: The hotel allows you to choose whether you prefer to have your towels and bedding laundered nightly.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us. We love having you with us and are so happy you feel like family!

Blacksburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

I had a change of last minute sleeping venues During my orientation trip to VTECH with my daughter, due to VTECH affording me the much unwanted opportunity to sleep on a plastic mattress for $94.00...if you would have seen the look on my face when I saw my initial sleeping arrangements...you would have thought someone had stole my birthday!!! Needless to say Van at the Holiday Inn in Blacksburg was empathetic and sympathetic to my needs/wants and helped me during my DIVA moment breakdown!!! VAN was my HERO!! Plus I get to enjoy the super awesome breakfast that the Holiday Inn is known to have!!!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your review and look forward to having you stay with us again the next time you visit your Hokie!

Ken Rogers

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!