“Top Location for a Virginia Tech Visit” 4 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
Springfield, VA
“Top Location for a Virginia Tech Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We came to an admissions open house at Virginia Tech so we chose this hotel because you can't beat it for its proximity to the campus. I had stayed here once before several years ago for the same reason. We chose a queen suite to have a comfortable space for two teenage girls with my husband and me. First the good news. The room was a good size and attractively furnished. The overstuffed faux leather chairs and couch were very comfortable (except when the sofa bed was opened but what can you expect from a sofa bed). The queen bed was very comfy and seemed larger than most queens. Lots of pillows but they were a little too fat for comfort. Good sized desk with a power strip suited for multiple chargers. Kitchenette with a very weak microwave and decent sized mini-fridge/freezer. The basics were available for eating (flatware, mugs, etc.). My pet peeve for these kitchenettes is why don't they every have any paper towels available for guests? We had to microwave our breakfast biscuits wrapped in a tissue. The bathroom was adequate but a bit of the grout needed a little elbow grease. The bad news? It was freezing in the room. Both rooms had adjustable thermostats that seemed to do nothing. Perhaps it was the fact that the outside "walls" were primary sliding glass doors (which made for a good bit of road noise). We were glad the queen bed had generous bedding which kept us warm enough but the girls on the sofa bed and Aerobed had to keep adding clothes to stay warm.

Room Tip: A room that is not on the Prices Fork Rd. side will probably be quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our executive suite and for choosing to stay with us again. We always use the feedback we receive to improve our services and amenities. Thanks again and we hope we can serve your family in the future!

241 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

The Holiday Inn, located on Prices Fork Road in Blacksburg VA, is a wonderful place to stay or hold an event. The staff is always professional and the rooms are beautifully renovated. The exterior of the hotel is a little dated, but the inside has been beautifully re-done. We have booked the Ballroom for numerous events ranging from our own Wedding Reception to hosting corporate events. Our family is from out of town, and this is the only hotel they even consider. The rooms are spacious and the breakfast is lovely. We also choose to dine in the Attitudes restaurant and have held private parties there. If you are looking for a hotel that treats you like you're family, with a staff that is ready to help you, this is the place to stay. 5 stars are not adequate for the service this hotel and its staff provides.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thank you for your review and for your loyalty. We look forward to taking care of you in the future!
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We used the Hotel's catering service to plan and host the rehearsal dinner for our son's recent wedding. From the very start the Hotel's coordinator, Ms. Angela Atrchin-Kashi, put our minds at ease and helped us feel completely assured every detail would be addressed. She made fantastic suggestions, which made the even work more smoothly, and she helped to ensure we put on the best possible event for the cost. Her hard work was accentuated by the exceptional performance of the people setting up and servicing the dinner (Mike Roach, Ben
Shriver, and Mitch Mellen). Mike introduced himself the minute my wife and I walked into the room, and he put us at perfect ease everything was ready. He even took action to ensure we had some needed items, and all of the three gentlemen working the service put all the guests at ease and made them feel welcome. It was a wonderful event and I would recommend them highly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your recommendation and for highlighting our team. We were thrilled to be a part of such a special day!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I am a platinum member here and a diamond member at Hilton. I spend 60% of my time on the road. This year alone I stayed everywhere from Baltimore to Dubai. This hotel was behinds doubt one of my top ten experiences I've had in my life. The professionalism and security were second to none. I wish this staff and comfort would be at all of my visits. As I stated, I am on the road all of the time. I will be in El Paso, Atlanta and Pittsburgh all within the next three weeks. I wish I could have this staff, comfort and security at each place. Thank You

Room Tip: Stay on the inside, Totally secure and all rooms have your own entrance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon! Safe travels!
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've used the Holiday Inn University numerous times for business meetings. The accommodations are always excellent. Rhonda Cooper is easy to work with. She provided superior service and assures my events are always top notch. Thank you Rhonda!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing us for your business meetings in Blacksburg and for your review. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to planning your next event.
Chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before but I feel compelled to review it for game day. We stayed on Homecoming weekend, so the hotel was full. As stated in other reviews the rate for gameday is not cheap but in any college town on gameday it is to be expected. There are several differences with this hotel that I have not experinced with others. First, they have Amanda M, we started trying to stay at this hotel when my son was a freshman. We met Amanda and it seems ever since then we feel like family when we stay there. Amanda is not the only reason, the whole staff is just as friendly, I wish I knew their names. The night desk mgr and the bar staff where extra nice this trip. Another reason this hotel is different, is the FREE TAILGATE on gameday. When Amanda first told me about this, I thought, ok some soft drinks and chips on a table somewhere but that was ok because the FREE SHUTTLE was worth it. Boy was I surprised, Tom, the bar mgr. had a spread set up, a omlett station, fresh fruit, oj, pancake and more.. it was a real tailgate like I would have done myself. Thanks for such a great job to Tom and his Staff who worked so hard for us that day. This hotel is already the closest hotel to Vt (other than the inn), that alone would make it anyone's choice. To make your guest feel so special in the hotel and out of the hotel is OVER AND BEYOND. Also I would like the people who gave me GNOME PICS.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review and for recognizing our team. Hokie football season is one of our favorite times of the year and we are so happy to be able to tailgate with our guests! We hope you can join us for our next home game.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We've stayed here several times in the past and, overall, I've enjoyed my stays. The beds are comortable and I love the free shuttle service. However, there were some major issues with our stay this time.

First, upon check in, we are given a room and within 5 minutes of being in that room, another couple used their brand new key card and walked in our room! Basically, the people who checked in not 5 minutes behind us were given the exact same room. How can this happen? Terrible for security purposes; I did not feel comfortable leaving my belongings in the room our entire stay here.
We never had a bath mat the entire weekend. Not a huge deal; there are only two of us and there were three towels. So we decided to use the third towel as a bathmat. When we returned that afternoon to our room, we had a note from housekeeping saying that they "owed" us a bath mat and a few hand towels and would deliver them to us as soon as they were available. We always leave a tip for the cleaning person/crew wherever we stay. I can only imagine we got the courtesy of a note because my husband left a tip, but they could have saved a piece of paper. The bath mats never materialized and neither did the hand towels. We left the note from housekeeping in the tip envelope when we checked out, and complained to the front desk about it because we were concerned we'd be charged for these missing towels.
And check out...that's another thing. My husband checked out while I was finshing up packing in the room. Almost immediately, the front desk started incessantly calling the phone in our room. Each time I answered, there was a dial tone. But when my husband answered, it was the front desk asking for a swipe of our credit card for "incidentals" (we had pre-paid for our stay). Meanwhile, we were checking out and it was clear on our bill that there were no "incidentals". The front desk person (who apparently was completely inept as she assigned our room to two separate couples) scanned our credit card upon check in! So, now I'm concerned that someone has stolen our credit card number. Where did the original scan of our credit card end up? Just a complete comedy of errors, except its really not funny.

TIP: If you stay here, keep your deadbolts locked while in the room! You never know who may walk in on you at any given time.
Also, THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS AT THIS HOTEL. It is two stories, so you will have to do stairs if you don't specifically request a handicapped room on the first floor. I have no problem with stairs in general, so this wasn't a problem for us. However, we saw a family check in, get a luggage cart, completely fill it up with luggage (all within view of the front desk who had just checked them in), walk away, and then come back 5 minutes later to ask where the elevator was.

In short: I know this was a busy weekend for this hotel; however they have busy weekends frequenly (hence why they require you to pay $300 a NIGHT, up front, with no refunds for game weekends...they aren't stupid). I've stayed here three other times for the same kind of weekends, and never have experienced ineptitude of this caibler. I doubt we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Be cognizant of the fact that there are no elevators!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stays in the past. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for the room assignment mistake and the inconvenience the room conditions caused you and your husband. Safety and security is extremely important to us and rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and we will take the necessary actions to make sure the same mistake doesn't happen in the future.
Once again, thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your future visits.

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!