“Catering Service was Exceptional” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Yorktown, Virginia, United States
“Catering Service was Exceptional”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We used the Hotel's catering service to plan and host the rehearsal dinner for our son's recent wedding. From the very start the Hotel's coordinator, Ms. Angela Atrchin-Kashi, put our minds at ease and helped us feel completely assured every detail would be addressed. She made fantastic suggestions, which made the even work more smoothly, and she helped to ensure we put on the best possible event for the cost. Her hard work was accentuated by the exceptional performance of the people setting up and servicing the dinner (Mike Roach, Ben
Shriver, and Mitch Mellen). Mike introduced himself the minute my wife and I walked into the room, and he put us at perfect ease everything was ready. He even took action to ensure we had some needed items, and all of the three gentlemen working the service put all the guests at ease and made them feel welcome. It was a wonderful event and I would recommend them highly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for your recommendation and for highlighting our team. We were thrilled to be a part of such a special day!

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I am a platinum member here and a diamond member at Hilton. I spend 60% of my time on the road. This year alone I stayed everywhere from Baltimore to Dubai. This hotel was behinds doubt one of my top ten experiences I've had in my life. The professionalism and security were second to none. I wish this staff and comfort would be at all of my visits. As I stated, I am on the road all of the time. I will be in El Paso, Atlanta and Pittsburgh all within the next three weeks. I wish I could have this staff, comfort and security at each place. Thank You

Room Tip: Stay on the inside, Totally secure and all rooms have your own entrance.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for being an IHG Rewards Club Platinum member and for leaving us your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon! Safe travels!
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've used the Holiday Inn University numerous times for business meetings. The accommodations are always excellent. Rhonda Cooper is easy to work with. She provided superior service and assures my events are always top notch. Thank you Rhonda!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing us for your business meetings in Blacksburg and for your review. We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to planning your next event.
Chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before but I feel compelled to review it for game day. We stayed on Homecoming weekend, so the hotel was full. As stated in other reviews the rate for gameday is not cheap but in any college town on gameday it is to be expected. There are several differences with this hotel that I have not experinced with others. First, they have Amanda M, we started trying to stay at this hotel when my son was a freshman. We met Amanda and it seems ever since then we feel like family when we stay there. Amanda is not the only reason, the whole staff is just as friendly, I wish I knew their names. The night desk mgr and the bar staff where extra nice this trip. Another reason this hotel is different, is the FREE TAILGATE on gameday. When Amanda first told me about this, I thought, ok some soft drinks and chips on a table somewhere but that was ok because the FREE SHUTTLE was worth it. Boy was I surprised, Tom, the bar mgr. had a spread set up, a omlett station, fresh fruit, oj, pancake and more.. it was a real tailgate like I would have done myself. Thanks for such a great job to Tom and his Staff who worked so hard for us that day. This hotel is already the closest hotel to Vt (other than the inn), that alone would make it anyone's choice. To make your guest feel so special in the hotel and out of the hotel is OVER AND BEYOND. Also I would like the people who gave me GNOME PICS.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your review and for recognizing our team. Hokie football season is one of our favorite times of the year and we are so happy to be able to tailgate with our guests! We hope you can join us for our next home game.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We've stayed here several times in the past and, overall, I've enjoyed my stays. The beds are comortable and I love the free shuttle service. However, there were some major issues with our stay this time.

First, upon check in, we are given a room and within 5 minutes of being in that room, another couple used their brand new key card and walked in our room! Basically, the people who checked in not 5 minutes behind us were given the exact same room. How can this happen? Terrible for security purposes; I did not feel comfortable leaving my belongings in the room our entire stay here.
We never had a bath mat the entire weekend. Not a huge deal; there are only two of us and there were three towels. So we decided to use the third towel as a bathmat. When we returned that afternoon to our room, we had a note from housekeeping saying that they "owed" us a bath mat and a few hand towels and would deliver them to us as soon as they were available. We always leave a tip for the cleaning person/crew wherever we stay. I can only imagine we got the courtesy of a note because my husband left a tip, but they could have saved a piece of paper. The bath mats never materialized and neither did the hand towels. We left the note from housekeeping in the tip envelope when we checked out, and complained to the front desk about it because we were concerned we'd be charged for these missing towels.
And check out...that's another thing. My husband checked out while I was finshing up packing in the room. Almost immediately, the front desk started incessantly calling the phone in our room. Each time I answered, there was a dial tone. But when my husband answered, it was the front desk asking for a swipe of our credit card for "incidentals" (we had pre-paid for our stay). Meanwhile, we were checking out and it was clear on our bill that there were no "incidentals". The front desk person (who apparently was completely inept as she assigned our room to two separate couples) scanned our credit card upon check in! So, now I'm concerned that someone has stolen our credit card number. Where did the original scan of our credit card end up? Just a complete comedy of errors, except its really not funny.

TIP: If you stay here, keep your deadbolts locked while in the room! You never know who may walk in on you at any given time.
Also, THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS AT THIS HOTEL. It is two stories, so you will have to do stairs if you don't specifically request a handicapped room on the first floor. I have no problem with stairs in general, so this wasn't a problem for us. However, we saw a family check in, get a luggage cart, completely fill it up with luggage (all within view of the front desk who had just checked them in), walk away, and then come back 5 minutes later to ask where the elevator was.

In short: I know this was a busy weekend for this hotel; however they have busy weekends frequenly (hence why they require you to pay $300 a NIGHT, up front, with no refunds for game weekends...they aren't stupid). I've stayed here three other times for the same kind of weekends, and never have experienced ineptitude of this caibler. I doubt we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Be cognizant of the fact that there are no elevators!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stays in the past. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for the room assignment mistake and the inconvenience the room conditions caused you and your husband. Safety and security is extremely important to us and rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and we will take the necessary actions to make sure the same mistake doesn't happen in the future.
Once again, thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your future visits.
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel was clean and in a good location for meals and the college but was nothing special. The indoor pool was very small and the 'gym' was 3 peices of eqipment in a very small room with an odor. You do have access to another gym across the street but I didn't make it over there.

I would probably see if there was another hotel in the area if I was returning to the are but would stay here again if other hotels were expensive orfull.

Room Tip: No elevator- stairs only access for The second floor. Pain carrying my luggage!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Most recently I had the opportunity to tailgate with them, and they definitely know how to throw a first class tailgate. Leah, Kenny, and all the staff have wonderful hospitality! Thanks! And, Tom, you run a fantastic grill!

Also, the company that I work for here in Blacksburg has had many many functions at the Holiday in too. Again, flawless execution. The space is welcoming and the room was perfect and the staff again was fantastic - thanks so much Rhonda and Josh, you are awesome!

Similarly, I have attended numerous events there:
- Chamber mixers and presentations
- Summer concert series
- Rotary meetings
- Impromptu gatherings at Attitudes
- And, even just meeting a friend for breakfast

The bottom line is that this hotel has an ideal location, great facilities, and a fantastic staff - everything you need when you are looking for first rate service!

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you had the opportunity to tailgate with us. We look forward to serving you again!

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!