“Above and Beyond” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Chesapeake
“Above and Beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before but I feel compelled to review it for game day. We stayed on Homecoming weekend, so the hotel was full. As stated in other reviews the rate for gameday is not cheap but in any college town on gameday it is to be expected. There are several differences with this hotel that I have not experinced with others. First, they have Amanda M, we started trying to stay at this hotel when my son was a freshman. We met Amanda and it seems ever since then we feel like family when we stay there. Amanda is not the only reason, the whole staff is just as friendly, I wish I knew their names. The night desk mgr and the bar staff where extra nice this trip. Another reason this hotel is different, is the FREE TAILGATE on gameday. When Amanda first told me about this, I thought, ok some soft drinks and chips on a table somewhere but that was ok because the FREE SHUTTLE was worth it. Boy was I surprised, Tom, the bar mgr. had a spread set up, a omlett station, fresh fruit, oj, pancake and more.. it was a real tailgate like I would have done myself. Thanks for such a great job to Tom and his Staff who worked so hard for us that day. This hotel is already the closest hotel to Vt (other than the inn), that alone would make it anyone's choice. To make your guest feel so special in the hotel and out of the hotel is OVER AND BEYOND. Also I would like the people who gave me GNOME PICS.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for your review and for recognizing our team. Hokie football season is one of our favorite times of the year and we are so happy to be able to tailgate with our guests! We hope you can join us for our next home game.

251 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We've stayed here several times in the past and, overall, I've enjoyed my stays. The beds are comortable and I love the free shuttle service. However, there were some major issues with our stay this time.

First, upon check in, we are given a room and within 5 minutes of being in that room, another couple used their brand new key card and walked in our room! Basically, the people who checked in not 5 minutes behind us were given the exact same room. How can this happen? Terrible for security purposes; I did not feel comfortable leaving my belongings in the room our entire stay here.
We never had a bath mat the entire weekend. Not a huge deal; there are only two of us and there were three towels. So we decided to use the third towel as a bathmat. When we returned that afternoon to our room, we had a note from housekeeping saying that they "owed" us a bath mat and a few hand towels and would deliver them to us as soon as they were available. We always leave a tip for the cleaning person/crew wherever we stay. I can only imagine we got the courtesy of a note because my husband left a tip, but they could have saved a piece of paper. The bath mats never materialized and neither did the hand towels. We left the note from housekeeping in the tip envelope when we checked out, and complained to the front desk about it because we were concerned we'd be charged for these missing towels.
And check out...that's another thing. My husband checked out while I was finshing up packing in the room. Almost immediately, the front desk started incessantly calling the phone in our room. Each time I answered, there was a dial tone. But when my husband answered, it was the front desk asking for a swipe of our credit card for "incidentals" (we had pre-paid for our stay). Meanwhile, we were checking out and it was clear on our bill that there were no "incidentals". The front desk person (who apparently was completely inept as she assigned our room to two separate couples) scanned our credit card upon check in! So, now I'm concerned that someone has stolen our credit card number. Where did the original scan of our credit card end up? Just a complete comedy of errors, except its really not funny.

TIP: If you stay here, keep your deadbolts locked while in the room! You never know who may walk in on you at any given time.
Also, THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS AT THIS HOTEL. It is two stories, so you will have to do stairs if you don't specifically request a handicapped room on the first floor. I have no problem with stairs in general, so this wasn't a problem for us. However, we saw a family check in, get a luggage cart, completely fill it up with luggage (all within view of the front desk who had just checked them in), walk away, and then come back 5 minutes later to ask where the elevator was.

In short: I know this was a busy weekend for this hotel; however they have busy weekends frequenly (hence why they require you to pay $300 a NIGHT, up front, with no refunds for game weekends...they aren't stupid). I've stayed here three other times for the same kind of weekends, and never have experienced ineptitude of this caibler. I doubt we'll stay here again.

Room Tip: Be cognizant of the fact that there are no elevators!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us again. We are pleased you have enjoyed your stays in the past. Most importantly, we would like to apologize for the room assignment mistake and the inconvenience the room conditions caused you and your husband. Safety and security is extremely important to us and rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and we will take the necessary actions to make sure the same mistake doesn't happen in the future.
Once again, thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your future visits.
Rochester, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

The hotel was clean and in a good location for meals and the college but was nothing special. The indoor pool was very small and the 'gym' was 3 peices of eqipment in a very small room with an odor. You do have access to another gym across the street but I didn't make it over there.

I would probably see if there was another hotel in the area if I was returning to the are but would stay here again if other hotels were expensive orfull.

Room Tip: No elevator- stairs only access for The second floor. Pain carrying my luggage!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you in the future.
Blacksburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Most recently I had the opportunity to tailgate with them, and they definitely know how to throw a first class tailgate. Leah, Kenny, and all the staff have wonderful hospitality! Thanks! And, Tom, you run a fantastic grill!

Also, the company that I work for here in Blacksburg has had many many functions at the Holiday in too. Again, flawless execution. The space is welcoming and the room was perfect and the staff again was fantastic - thanks so much Rhonda and Josh, you are awesome!

Similarly, I have attended numerous events there:
- Chamber mixers and presentations
- Summer concert series
- Rotary meetings
- Impromptu gatherings at Attitudes
- And, even just meeting a friend for breakfast

The bottom line is that this hotel has an ideal location, great facilities, and a fantastic staff - everything you need when you are looking for first rate service!

Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy you had the opportunity to tailgate with us. We look forward to serving you again!
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Living less than 15 minutes from the hotel, I will be honest...I've never stayed there overnight. However, as a member of the local business community, I have first hand knowledge of the hotel staff and it's event rooms, and I've got to tell you, this hotel is simply BEAUTIFUL when you walk in.

From the stone tile in the lobby, to the pool, the bar (which is a part of the local flavor...with the locals, not just people coming in to stay there), and the overall decoration, I really enjoy it whenever I get to come here.

The folks in the Sales Department are all great to work with, too. Rhonda, Angela, Mike, and Courtney are all EXTREMELY personable, and easy to get along with.

If you're coming to the area, and want to stay somewhere nice, THIS is the place. Stop in at Lattitudes for the killer eggs and sausage for breakfast, and Attitudes will open up that evening for dinner and drinks that evening...all you Parrotheads out there ought to enjoy that part of it. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our event and restaurant space. We really appreciate your recommendation and look forward to serving you next time!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn twice within this past year. The first time was in April and another more recently in mid September. I can't believe anyone would stay at the preferred "Virginia Tech Conference Center". It's kind of interesting now that I think about it. When you look at the VT Conference Center hotel it looks really snazzy and new on the outside but on the inside it's just normal, no upgrades and it looks TIRED. The inside of my Payne Hall dorm when I studied at VT looked nicer on the inside. I admit that when I first heard I had to stay at the Holiday Inn I was a little anxious because it looked old and tired on the outside but boy was I wrong. I was upgraded (the first time to a suite) and it was amazing. It was new and modern plenty of space for me and my belongings. It was such a great room I really felt bad judging this book by the cover. Ever since that stay in April we've been coming back for recruiting events that I am able to attend and we stay at this hotel and it works out perfectly. People are starting to find out about this place because when I was here in mid September - the place was packed. It's great to see that the hotel has been remodeled and makes its visitors and alumni (such as myself) feel welcome. The parking is plentiful and you may have to drive to your appropriate corridor but that's no big deal in my book. I have tried their food for a recruiting function and it was pretty good that time I went but I have not ordered any room service. There's a Starbucks in walking distance so I didn't bother.

Bottom Line: If you're going to BBurg stay here and don't bother going to the university sponsored place. Great experiences here and I recommend that you would stay here and give it a chance. You'll be pretty surprised. This will be my choice in hotels...unless Starwood decides to put a property on VT grounds..:o) But until then...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to share your comments! We look forward to serving you during your next recruiting event!
Pennsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We love the Holiday Inn in Blacksburg. We always feel welcome. Everyone at the front desk is always so nice and accommodating. It is an excellent location when we visit our son at Virginia Tech. The hotel is also located near stores and restaurants. We stayed in a suite the last time and it was beautiful! They also have a restaurant/ lounge called Latitudes which we loved to visit. The bartender, Carol, always remembers us and is a very sweet person. We are looking forward to seeing her again on our next visit.

Mike and Jody M. New Jersey

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel and to share your experience with Carol and our front desk. See you soon!

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!