“This hotel is BEAUTIFUL...” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Christiansburg, Virginia, United States
“This hotel is BEAUTIFUL...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Living less than 15 minutes from the hotel, I will be honest...I've never stayed there overnight. However, as a member of the local business community, I have first hand knowledge of the hotel staff and it's event rooms, and I've got to tell you, this hotel is simply BEAUTIFUL when you walk in.

From the stone tile in the lobby, to the pool, the bar (which is a part of the local flavor...with the locals, not just people coming in to stay there), and the overall decoration, I really enjoy it whenever I get to come here.

The folks in the Sales Department are all great to work with, too. Rhonda, Angela, Mike, and Courtney are all EXTREMELY personable, and easy to get along with.

If you're coming to the area, and want to stay somewhere nice, THIS is the place. Stop in at Lattitudes for the killer eggs and sausage for breakfast, and Attitudes will open up that evening for dinner and drinks that evening...all you Parrotheads out there ought to enjoy that part of it. :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our event and restaurant space. We really appreciate your recommendation and look forward to serving you next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn twice within this past year. The first time was in April and another more recently in mid September. I can't believe anyone would stay at the preferred "Virginia Tech Conference Center". It's kind of interesting now that I think about it. When you look at the VT Conference Center hotel it looks really snazzy and new on the outside but on the inside it's just normal, no upgrades and it looks TIRED. The inside of my Payne Hall dorm when I studied at VT looked nicer on the inside. I admit that when I first heard I had to stay at the Holiday Inn I was a little anxious because it looked old and tired on the outside but boy was I wrong. I was upgraded (the first time to a suite) and it was amazing. It was new and modern plenty of space for me and my belongings. It was such a great room I really felt bad judging this book by the cover. Ever since that stay in April we've been coming back for recruiting events that I am able to attend and we stay at this hotel and it works out perfectly. People are starting to find out about this place because when I was here in mid September - the place was packed. It's great to see that the hotel has been remodeled and makes its visitors and alumni (such as myself) feel welcome. The parking is plentiful and you may have to drive to your appropriate corridor but that's no big deal in my book. I have tried their food for a recruiting function and it was pretty good that time I went but I have not ordered any room service. There's a Starbucks in walking distance so I didn't bother.

Bottom Line: If you're going to BBurg stay here and don't bother going to the university sponsored place. Great experiences here and I recommend that you would stay here and give it a chance. You'll be pretty surprised. This will be my choice in hotels...unless Starwood decides to put a property on VT grounds..:o) But until then...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your loyalty and for taking the time to share your comments! We look forward to serving you during your next recruiting event!
Pennsville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We love the Holiday Inn in Blacksburg. We always feel welcome. Everyone at the front desk is always so nice and accommodating. It is an excellent location when we visit our son at Virginia Tech. The hotel is also located near stores and restaurants. We stayed in a suite the last time and it was beautiful! They also have a restaurant/ lounge called Latitudes which we loved to visit. The bartender, Carol, always remembers us and is a very sweet person. We are looking forward to seeing her again on our next visit.

Mike and Jody M. New Jersey

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel and to share your experience with Carol and our front desk. See you soon!
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have now stayed here twice. First in July for my son's orientation and then again in August to move him in. I was hoping to stay again for parent's weekend next month but they are already have no occupancy (and I checked over a month ago!)

The location to Virginia Tech is great, right on Prices Fork Rd it is one traffic light from the entrance. The parking is free and plentiful. The hotel is 2 stories so no elevator, but that wasn't a problem for us. Both times we have stayed on the 2nd floor on the inside (facing the outdoor pool) and our rooms were perfect. The wifi is free and we had no trouble connecting.

We had a room with 2 double beds both time. The room came equipped with a chair & ottoman, work desk, fridge, microwave and large HD TV. The decor was updated and fresh. The beds & pillows were comfortable and the air conditioning worked fine. There are plenty of outlets for charging devices, included extra ones in the night stand itself. We had no complaints and this is my first choice of hotels when coming to VT. (Just wish we could be there again next month)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing to stay with us! We appreciate you posting pictures and your detailed review. Hope to serve you again soon!
Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

In many ways this is a classic Holiday Inn—old, dark, and faded—but the management and staff have tried to make the best of it. The rooms are reasonably modern and the beds are comfortable (at least if you get the "executive" rooms with pillowtop beds—I can't speak for the regular ones). It's not luxurious by any means, but it gets the job done. The rooms have a heating/cooling unit by the window that is pretty loud, and I couldn't figure out how to get the fan to run continuously (but I didn't try too hard).

The hotel is basically a big square around a courtyard. It is two floors, and there is no elevator, which is fine if you're on the first floor, less so otherwise. The outdoor pool is big, although it was too cold when we were there (late July). The indoor pool is on the small side, but it was nice and warm.

The Latitudes restaurant is basically some tables in a windowless section of a ballroom. Breakfast was pretty bad as hotel breakfasts go. Attitudes is the other restaurant. We didn't eat there but did get room service once, which was also bad (really thick dressing on the salad, big, tasteless fries, etc.).

The service is very friendly but not terribly efficient; for example, one day our room was cleaned but they forgot to take out the garbage.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable comments with us. We are sorry you were not satisfied with breakfast and the efficiency in our restaurant. Your feedback will help us improve for our next guest and your next visit. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights for a conference at the Skelton Conference Center. Rooms were decent and everything appeared to have been somewhat recently remodeled. There were enough outlets for all of my electronics, which is a plus. The AC unit was very loud, as are the doors. I was woken up at 6AM every morning by doors slamming in the corridor. On my last day there, I arrived back to my room at 5PM to find that it had not been cleaned. When I called the front desk, they explained to me that there had been an all-hands meeting at 3PM and all the rooms weren't done yet. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a clean room by 3PM, let alone 5PM and I found this very disappointing.

Overall, decent hotel. Staff was generally helpful and friendly. Would I stay here again? Possibly, but I'd probably try someplace else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your conference in Blacksburg. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and always strive to provide comfortable accommodations. We greatly apologize for the late cleaning of your room. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The perfect place to stay while visiting the university or passing thru. Clean and quiet rooms. Food great in the restaurants. Pool an oasis in virginia. A total vacation from the momenti stepped into the hotel.

Room Tip: It would be hard to get a bad room in the hotel