“Perfectly acceptable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Perfectly acceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights for a conference at the Skelton Conference Center. Rooms were decent and everything appeared to have been somewhat recently remodeled. There were enough outlets for all of my electronics, which is a plus. The AC unit was very loud, as are the doors. I was woken up at 6AM every morning by doors slamming in the corridor. On my last day there, I arrived back to my room at 5PM to find that it had not been cleaned. When I called the front desk, they explained to me that there had been an all-hands meeting at 3PM and all the rooms weren't done yet. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a clean room by 3PM, let alone 5PM and I found this very disappointing.

Overall, decent hotel. Staff was generally helpful and friendly. Would I stay here again? Possibly, but I'd probably try someplace else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your conference in Blacksburg. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and always strive to provide comfortable accommodations. We greatly apologize for the late cleaning of your room. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
McLean, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

The perfect place to stay while visiting the university or passing thru. Clean and quiet rooms. Food great in the restaurants. Pool an oasis in virginia. A total vacation from the momenti stepped into the hotel.

Room Tip: It would be hard to get a bad room in the hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are so happy we were the perfect place for you to stay. We hope to serve you again in the future!
Cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a two story hotel with NO elevators, so be prepared to schlep your stuff up steps. In the suites, there's a wall unit AC that is noisy in a non-white noise way. Old, slow coffee makers in the rooms, thin, cheap sheets, same with towels. Small bathroom, although the shower is one of the best you can find in a hotel - NOT low flow. Almost made up for the lack of sleep due to the noisy AC unit. Outdoor pool was quite nice - indoor pool stinky. Exercise room a joke. One treadmill and 2 ellipticals. And the TV remotes do not have a sleep timer. Little, annoying things that will have me looking to another hotel next time in town.

Green Features: Asking guests to reuse towels doesn't save the environment. It saves the hotel money. Give us a discount for reusing my towels and I'll believe YOU want to save the environment.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We are very sorry that your experience was disappointing. We have noted your feedback and this shall be considered for improvements needed as we take the confidence our guests place in us to rectify unsatisfactory circumstances. We hope you give us a chance in the future to improve your review.
Utica, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My daughter was married on June 15th- We decided to have the reception at this hotel. We were working within a budget and the event coordinators (Josh, Angela and Rhonda) were terrific! As the guests arrived to the reception they were escorted to an outdoor patio area- where they had drinks at the open bar and small finger foods. a while later the reception hall was opened up. It looked AMAZING! It was the perfect size for 100 guests. The buffet dinner was not your average "wedding food" It was delicious! The guests could not stop commenting on how great the meal was. Thanks to Josh, the Bride & Groom were able to set up a food tasting event and chose everything they wanted (This included a carving station) Guests were also offered a discounted rate if they decided to stay. Thank you Holiday Inn Staff for making the day so special! Cindy D.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Hi Cindy, Thank you for choosing us for your special day and congratulations! We are delighted to hear your day was perfect. We hope we can serve you again the future!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Reading the reviews of others, my review is quite similar. Spent 2 nights at this hotel to attend orientation for Freshman students. Rooms were clean with the bare essentials. Their breakfast buffet although typical was OK, but needed a lot more fruits. Room rate was very competitive. Would stay there again if other primary choice was not available.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to leave us your feedback and for choosing to stay with us during orientation. We hope we can become your primary hotel choice in the future.
Harrisburg, NC USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

The new decor is lovely, the rooms have many shelves in the bathrooms, the entertainment centers in the rooms are very nice and the housekeeping staff were all very friendly and efficient. The location could not be more convenient to the University.

Room Tip: The rooms that open to the pool courtyard are very nice.
Green Features: I agree with their suggestions for guests to reuse towels and conserve energy.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking a moment to review our hotel. We hope to see you again the next time you visit Blacksburg!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was very happy with my stay here. I have literally never encountered a friendlier housekeeping staff anywhere! They were extremely considerate of my time during my stay and very polite and understanding when I ended up asking them repeatedly to come back to clean the room at another time (I was in town for a wedding and had a hectic schedule that kept changing).

I spoke with Rhonda Cooper, Director of Sales, before staying at this Holiday Inn and she sold me on this location over the The Inn at Virginia Tech or the more affordable Red Carpet Inn nearby, and I am extremely happy that she did. The location is extremely convenient to everything and every single staff member I encountered was very nice and very helpful. I will definitely stay again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: No elevator to the second level so if you aren't traveling light, try for the first floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi Susan, Thank you so much for taking the time to let us all know how happy you were with your recent stay with us. We are so glad you chose to stay with us! We hope to see you again the next time you are in town.

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!