“Excellent Place to hae your next function!” 5 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Franklin, Virginia
“Excellent Place to hae your next function!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Beautiful Banquet Rooms and excellent food and service!
Our organization recently had the pleasure of a dinner and meeting function at the Holiday Inn University. Our servers for our dinner were Kate and Mike...they did an outstanding job!
Thank you soo much to all of the staff at the front desk for directing out guests to the dining room, and a huge pat on the back to Mr. Rogers, the manager! He should be proud of the wonderful job done by all of his staff. I will recommend this location to anyone interested.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. We appreciate your compliments and hope to serve you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Wanted a get away not to far from home and HI University fit the bill. Love that this is an older hotel that has been well maintained.....can't say enough about the beautiful landscaping...perfect timing with all the spring flowers in bloom. Bed was very comfortable & liked having pillows clearly labeled...soft ....firm. Our biggest disappointment was the restaurant or should I say lack of restaurant at night. It was raining and as this was a relaxing get away trip, we didn't want to go out to find food so we ended to the restaurant. However dining room is now closed at night and 4 tables were set up to one side of lounge area. Food was basically bar food, nachos, burgers, etc....which was ok bar food. Burger was bland and dry, could have found a much better one at someplace like Five Guys or even Hardees. Desserts were limited and even waitress felt bad about size of dessert and reduced the price without even being asked. Breakfast was buffet and ok...but pricy. Don't go for the food, go for the nice soft bed, location and grounds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your feedback of our hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your accommodations and we are sorry that you were disappointed in your experience in our restaurant. Your feedback was shared with our team and will help us improve. We hope you stay with us for your next get away!
Social Circle, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I stayed for 1 night. Very comfortable bed and nicely appointed room. Parking was assesable. Staff at the front desk were very helpful. Nice restaurant that serve meals to accommodate different dietary needs. Coffee was great! No sludge served here. Hotel is within walking distance of several restaurants and specialty stores. There is a really nice yarn shop next to 5 Guys Hamburger. 1 grumpy staff in the dining room in the morning!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very happy you enjoyed your bed, room, and coffee for your overnight stay . We hope to have the opportunity serve you again in the future!
Peterstown, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our IDDL staff retreat was awesome. You all worked hard to ensure our intense strategic planning day went smoothly with seeing to our needs and accommodating us with our requests. A special thank you to Kenny Rogers for ensuring we had carafes on each table with coffee along with cream and sweeteners. The staff and I are very grateful for that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share the comments about your recent IDDL Staff Retreat. We know that other travelers and planners appreciate the opportunity to see what previous guests think about our hotel. We hope to to take care of the IDDL staff again soon!
Fredericksburg, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed for one night on business. Bed was very comfortable and I had a choice of soft or firm pillows. Nice blackout curtains in the room. I had a walk out to the parking lot, but heard little noise. Minor issue that the bathroom door was on a closer, and I couldn't prop it open (I like to hear the news while getting ready in the morning!). Staff was helpful. I did not eat breakfast, but several folks I traveled with did and found it fine (though a little pricey). Of course, I remember the hotel from when it was a Marriott, and the bar looks the same! I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to write a review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and would return. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Blacksburg!
Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Hotel was much better than I anticipated. I booked a suite for our family of three and a second one for the in-laws. Rooms were clean and well furnished. Bedroom was a separate room from the living area and mini kitchen (fridge, sink, microwave). The bathroom was off the living space. Would have loved to stay here longer but were only here one night for Raford's graduation. If I ever need to stay in this area again, I would stay here. It is also across the street from Virginia Tech.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for your compliments concerning your recent stay with us in our executive suite. We take great pride in the fact that guests enjoy staying with us. Thank you again for sharing and recommending our hotel. We hope to see you again soon!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We came back to Blacksburg for an anniversary banquet foe one of the organizations we were involved with while students years ago. "Executive" rooms were booked at a really reasonable rate and we couldn't get any closer to campus without being on campus. From that perspective, it was a plus.

The rooms were nice and the beds were comfortable. There were more pillows than most humans needed... but good to have the option to select firm or soft pillows. The tub had the curved shower rod, allowing for the shower to feel larger than it was. The microwave (complete with two additional outlets on the front we discovered our last day) and refrigerator were definitely appreciated, as was the in-room safe. Also appreciated was the fact the refrigerator was behind a door in a cabinet, allowing for some noise muffling.

The second floor had nice large windows (that looked like balcony doors and even hade railings that looked like balcony railing... but not balconies). They really could use balconies... at least on the courtyard/swimming pool side. Heck, just being able to open a window would be nice. More plugs would also be nice. My family of three travelled with just three cell phones and two other personal electronic devices. We were glad we brought our travel cord. We could not have charged all our devices on the plug at the desk.

However, the doors, while secure, leave something to be desired. Ours was so loose we actually stuffed a washcloth in between the door and the door frame to keep it from jiggling every time someone opened the nearby hall door. It worked. What didn't work well was sound muffling. Every sound in the hallway could be heard inside the room through the door. This was OK when the halls were quiet... but they weren't on the first night of our stay when a group of young kids was working on their science fair projects IN THE HALLWAY until very early in the morning. The were quieter than most groups of kids, but the dropping of equipment was not that quiet.

Despite asking the student to keep it down and making a trip to the front desk, the noise did not subside. At midnight, my husband called down and the hotel staff said they would send someone up. After being woken up several more times, I finally stuck my head out the door at 3:15am and asked one more time for the students to please not work in the hallway as they weren't the only people in the hotel. I was surprise to see equipment blocking my hotel door and strewn down the hallway between my door and the exit. In the even of an emergency, exit would have been possible, but not safe. The students were apologetic and the morning staff did reduce our rate for our second night based on our inconvenience (after first trying to offer us free drink coupons and free breakfast coupons). But I question how the kids were allowed to work in the hallway most of the night (especially given there was an earlier complaint). If staff did occasionally walk the hallways, I am surprise they would have allowed the students to keep all their equipment strewn about creating a safety hazard. I appreciate the work the students must do last minute, but a hotel hallway is an inapproriate place to accomplish those last minute tweaks.

While I appreciate the hotel was booked completely the first night of our stay, I felt management could have done a much better job of grouping guests to minimize disruptions. Most of my group's rooms (identifiiable by the group rates we secured) were scattered throughout with no two rooms near one another (at least that I could tell), despite most of us checking in between 4 and 7PM. Meanwhile, the student group(s) who checked in after 10PM seemed to also be scattered thorughout the hotel, but in large blocks. While I realize grouping groups together isn't always possible due to check-in times and room availability, this seemed like one of those case where the staff didn't even really try to do so.

Would I stay here again? Probably. I'm not one to write off a hotel simply because some guests cause issues. However, I would hope the staff can do a better job at accomodating groups in the furute.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room on the courtyard/pool side if you want to be able to walk out and enjoy fresh...