“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hotel was clean. Service was excellent. Staff was very friendly, especially Sarah Hawkins. She showed us where every thing was located in the hotel and also gave us excellent advice on places to visit in the area. Would definately recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi Sean, Thank you for taking the time to review and recommend our hotel. We are so glad you enjoyed your experience while staying with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding your service and Sarah and hope you visit again soon!

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Potomac Falls, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I really loved this hotel and would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in the Blacksburg area. I stopped here on my way to NC and was so pleased with my whole experience. When I checked in, the staff was very friendly and welcoming. Not only did they seem genuinely happy to have me as a guest, they were very helpful in recommending places to dine.
When I got to my room, it was absolutely spotless AND the bed was crazy comfortable. I didn't want to leave.
I was so pleased with this hotel that I stopped there again on my way home from NC and had the same great service. Highly recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
HIGM1, General Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for your high recommendation and your wonderful comments about our hotel. We look forward to your next visit with us!
Outer Banks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Drove in on a Monday, called in to see if we could get any last minute cancellations. Ashley was very friendly and helpful on the phone, when we arrived she was right there to help us out and get us on our way. On game days they provide shuttle service so this was very helpful since we had a giant cooler to get all the way down to the tailgate.

I have stayed there before so I know what to expect. The room was everything I needed, had to rent a cot for $10 for another friend who came with us as well and there was plenty of room to put it. I find this location close enough to walk to the downtown blacksburg area as well so that was good I didn't have to pay for a cab ride home. I am sure I will be back here again soon, especially I wouldn't do the Inn at VT across the street as well but it is much louder and rowdier during the day since people think they can tailgate there, they charge for parking and the bar inside is a joke compared to attitudes.

Room Tip: Pool view! Use the shuttle call if you have any problems, they will get it right
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn University Blacksburg and for sharing your feedback. We are so delighted you had an enjoyable experience and appreciate your compliments regarding our service, hotel accommodations, location & amenities. We hope you come back soon!
Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I went to check in at 7:00 pm and was informed I had no reservation. Showed them a copy of my confirmation reservation and rate. Was told no rooms left. They told me that I must have made a reservation through some "other" system and I had to call them to resolve. I said no, it is not my problem and you need to solve. I asked to speak with the manager. Was told manager was gone for the day. I saw the the "manager on duty" sign and said that. They said he's is the one who left. I said to contact him, you have a problem. I then had to wait 1/2 hour and said there was a room I could have. They printed out and it was twice as much. I said incorrect rate. After another 10 minutes, the right rate was showing on my paper. This was a very unpleasant experience after a long day of driving, unloading my son's stuff into his apartment and cleaning up, and then to put up with this. The room was nice and no complaints. The bar was kind of weird with low lighting in a odd place in the hotel. They did provide a complimentary breakfast because of the issue and I asked for a complimentary drink as well, which they agreed. Don't know if I will ever return, considering I'll be down there many times in the next few years.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your comments. We are very disappointed to hear about your recent unpleasant experience with us. We have paid special attention to your comments and shared them with our team. We hope you will consider staying with us while visiting your son, so we have the opportunity to exceed your expectations.
Miami,FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Beautiful exterior landscaping except for tennis court area- too bad the interior doesn't match. Strange layouts with a little hidey-hole area near front desk area with it's own little sitting area and musty carpeted stairwell. Rooms were not ready until late in the afternoon after usual check in time. They need more housekeepers. Front desk staff were helpful and did change room after we complained outdoor muzak being heard in our room. Furnishings were dark and dated with a particularly bad stretch of ugly tan carpet separating the hotel rooms from the conference, dining and bar area. Attended a wedding rehearsal dinner; the staff and room decor were fine but unfortunately food quality was not. The bar area was lively with offers of free drinks and popcorn. Does have a guest laundry, tiny exercise room and large indoor/outdoor pool. Great location right across the street from Va Tech- don't miss the small but beautiful (in summer) horticultural garden with a Frank Lloyd Wright Wood Nymph statue in it. The hotel is also within walking distance to restaurants like Panera and McAdoo's.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear AdrianaKate,

Thank you for providing us with a very considerate review and for staying with us. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide. Although your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Princeton NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I have stayed here 3 times because it is convenient to the residence of a relative and to the Virginia Tech campus.
The outside, lobby, and rooms are attractive and well maintained. The free computer access in the lobby is convenient. The free van service to local attractions and the VT Student Center stop on the SmartWay bus is a bonus, although the van is showing its age and the climb up to the seats is difficult for anyone with short legs or impaired mobility.
There are no elevators or bellhops, and luggage must be self carried up a steep flight of stairs to rooms on the second floor.
Speaking of limited mobility, the bathtubs/showers lack grab bars and the bottom surface of the tub is slippery.
The breakfast service is appalingly bad. The a la carte food arrives cold, overcooked, or badly prepared. The service tends to go at a snail's pace and the waitresses are indifferent and untrained. The buffet (on selected mornings) is better, but the decor is depressing and the scrambled eggs are milky and taste as if they have sat too long on the steamtable.

Room Tip: If you can't carry your bags up and down stairs, avoid the second level rooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for staying at the Holiday Inn University Blacksburg and for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our amenities, as well as your feedback regarding our accommodations & breakfast. We take all comments very seriously, and we have shared your feedback with our management team. We strive to maintain high standards in quality and service. We apologize that we fell short of your expectations. Again, thank you for your feedback, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our guest experience.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

The Holiday Inn University-Blackburg is very convenient to the Virginia Tech campus and offers a range of room choices and services you would expect to find in a full service hotel. The restaurant has a breakfast buffet that includes waffles, eggs, oatmeal, cereals, fresh fruit and bread. The bar area has a pool table and free popcorn and nuts with drinks at a reasonable price. The rooms and hotel were clean and the staff was very helpful at check-in and responsive when pillows for the sofa bed were found to be missing. An overall good experience.

Room Tip: The Executive Suite is a great option for parents with 1 or 2 kids, having a separate bedroom and a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel. We appreciate your helpful tips. I hope we see you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn University-Blacksburg? Share your experiences!