“don't stay here!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 9 hotels in Blacksburg
Ocean, New Jersey
“don't stay here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My family and I have children at VT so this place was close and convenient and for the first one or two times that we stayed there over the past year, it was adequate. Then we booked our room as usual for one trip and found the room to be dirty. There was a pile of dirt on the ledge of the shower and none of the lights would work in the room. To get the lamp on the table where the TV was to work, you had to unplug the movie service from the TV to use that plug. When I complained to management through a letter, I was comped for a 2 night stay with the promise that it would be better. Guess what? It was ten times worse. We were sure that this time, the room would be beautiful, they would check it out first right? Wrong!! This time, there was a huge streak in the mirror of the bedroom that you could write your name in (I did)...and when you opened the curtain to let in the sun, there was a spider web there that must have taken a year to build. The bathroom was not too clean either and the rugs never looked freshly vacuumed.All I can think of when I see dirt everywhere is.. "hmmm I wonder if this bed is clean". I don't ask alot from a hotel chain except that it be CLEAN and this one was clearly not. I swore off of that Hotel and we haven't stayed there since.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I visited our daughter at college for Fall Weekend and were lucky to get this hotel since the places I usually stay at were long since booked. I was somewhat surprised by how they seemed to update the rooms with new mattresses, flat screen TV's and everything seemed neat and clean. Still using bedspreads which is sort of gross by today's standards, but they seemed clean and didn't bother me at all. The bathroom seemed updated also and quite adequate, even had some luxury soaps in a cute little packet.

The location, while further out of the town than we usually like, is still quite convenient and it only takes minutes to get into the town of Blacksburg or to get to campus. We came for homecoming weekend and our first football game so I expected a full house. The breakfast lounge was never crowded and they offered a nice selection of the usual fare, cereal, waffle maker, yogurt, fruit, and even a hot buffet where you could make sausage & egg biscuits . One morning they had bacon! I do not eat any wheat products and was able to eat the warm hard-boiled eggs they served every morning, in addition to bacon or sausage. There is coffee or tea out for guests all-day long which we appreciated. After breakfast hours,we asked where the hot water was and the girl at the desk told us to open the louvered doors which they semi-close after breakfast hours. We liked going down to get tea at night!

My main complaints were the paper-thin walls. I am a light sleeper and could hear EVERYTHING the people next door were saying at 1:00 a.m when they came in. They were not being rowdy or loud, it was just normal conversation. Don't know how the hotel could rectify this situation, but I dealt with it over 3 nights. Even my husband who is a heavy sleeper admitted he could hear the people next door. Also, we were on the side of the parking lot and there are high-voltage lights aimed right at our wall which made the light come through our curtains. I ended up putting my running shoe on the curtain, propped against the wall, to keep the gap from forming and this seemed to help with the light coming in. I like it dark when I sleep!

Overall, I felt our first night was a terrific value, but the next two nights, they scapled us because it was a football weekend. The first night ( a Thursday) was $89.00, and the second two nights were over $200 a night.....really? That is a too high! Felt they were gouging us to make money off the football people and while they deserve to make money, that was excessive in my book. I would stay there again, though for the comfort and convenience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the parking lot side if you don't want a light shining in on your room at night!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Oakton, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Arrived to hotel early, not many customer had arrived. I explained I was a light sleeper. So we were placed in a mountain view room, less noise. On the way to the eleveator we got to see the washing machines/dryers and all the cleaning carts (tacky). We went to the mountain view room, tried to adjust the thermostat, it WAS NOT working. Called hotel check-in employee, she came up and confirmed, it was not working. I asked to be placed in room next to us. She said it was not available; really, no one was there yet. So, she put us in the room across the hall. I'm now listening to Main Street traffic. Here come my ear plugs and lots of pillows over my head. The room was very dated. The comforter was old, the bath sink faucet neck was so close to the edge of the sink, water was going everywhere on the counter. BONUS, I had a dead spider in the bed when I turned down the sheets. Also, dogs were allowed to stay, I saw several large and small ones. I can only image where they slept. Grossed me out!
The hotel is 5 miles from downtown Blacksburg, this was great. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Mountain View side (quieter).
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
PORTLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

this hotel was priced the best in the area for a busy move-in weekend at Tech. I really liked the pool. It was VERY warm (maybe 86?) and being outdoors was perfect on a beautiful day. The bed was very comfortable. I like being able to get tea and coffee anytime of day (hot water was a bit more difficult to get than coffee but Grace, i think her name was, at the front desk was very helpful.)

This hotel could be made even better if they allowed, or said they allow, people to eat outside at the tables by the pool for breakfast. Not sure why that's an issue. The tables are there, the garbage can too, i don't think there's any glass dishes offered at breakfast. It was so pleasant outside in the am that one day, we sat there anyhow and the other, i just sat on the curb. The other thing i wasn't crazy about was that the windows in the room don't open. On a beautiful morning like we had in late August, this made me feel claustrophobic and disappointed. Also, the AC is different than most hotels in that it kept coming on and off so if you need constant noise or temperature to sleep, it may wake you up. Overall, it's still a good deal and has many nice things to offer so I would def. stay there again! Keep up the good work and consider "unlocking" the windows and opening up the outdoor tables for breakfast and the ratings will go up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is not Hilton, but it is mostly clean, and the staff is very conscientious and professional. The breakfast buffet is varied, with hot eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffle maker, yogurt, fresh fruit, and more. Our king size bed suite has a microwave, kitchen sink, cupboards, refrigerator, and coffee maker. The bathroom has plenty of towels, lotions, shower gel, and space. The rate is reasonable. This is worth the money.

Room Tip: there are suites.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a standard Comfort Inn Hotel, not elegant, however comfortable. We did not like the fact than when we came, despite the confirmation, we did not get the king size bed room we had reserved for, neither the mountain view, that was one of the options. The answer from the reception was that they did not get our request, that I doubt about.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in the Blacksburg Comfort inn on 6/16/12. On this trip was my wife and 2 children. We checked in, and immediately asked what was the hours of the pool. We were told 8 am to 11 pm.
We went shopping and spent time with family in the area. We came back to the hotel at 10 pm so the kids would have an hour of swim time before going to bed. To our amazement, the pool was already closed. We called the front desk and was alerted that the pool closed at 10 pm.
The kids were very disapointed that they could not swim. Had we known the correct hours, we would have been back for them to swim at the correct time.

So we go into our hotel room to turn on tv. There is nothing working but HBO. We kept getting an internet page before calling the front desk again. The lady said" The TV is out, we have the cable company coming over". so therefore we had no TV for the night.

The next morning we turned on the tv again, and still no TV. I wento to the front desk, and asked the lady, she said "It probably would not be fixed until monday, the cable people were here until 1 am". I then asked her to speak to a manager, she said I would have to call back monday, because management works weekdays....
I then asked her about an adjustment, because did she expect me to pay $110. (including tax) for this? she said the best she was allowed to do was 10%, if I felt more was needed I needed to call back on monday.

What a way to run a hotel. To me the busiest time of a hotel is on the weekends, and no management is available???

so i still had to pay 100. (with tax) to have my kids disapointed with no pool or TV.

I just think that the management of this hotel should be made aware what is happening to its guests on the weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Blacksburg Comfort Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!