“Pretty good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Blacksburg
PORTLAND
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

this hotel was priced the best in the area for a busy move-in weekend at Tech. I really liked the pool. It was VERY warm (maybe 86?) and being outdoors was perfect on a beautiful day. The bed was very comfortable. I like being able to get tea and coffee anytime of day (hot water was a bit more difficult to get than coffee but Grace, i think her name was, at the front desk was very helpful.)

This hotel could be made even better if they allowed, or said they allow, people to eat outside at the tables by the pool for breakfast. Not sure why that's an issue. The tables are there, the garbage can too, i don't think there's any glass dishes offered at breakfast. It was so pleasant outside in the am that one day, we sat there anyhow and the other, i just sat on the curb. The other thing i wasn't crazy about was that the windows in the room don't open. On a beautiful morning like we had in late August, this made me feel claustrophobic and disappointed. Also, the AC is different than most hotels in that it kept coming on and off so if you need constant noise or temperature to sleep, it may wake you up. Overall, it's still a good deal and has many nice things to offer so I would def. stay there again! Keep up the good work and consider "unlocking" the windows and opening up the outdoor tables for breakfast and the ratings will go up!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

This hotel is not Hilton, but it is mostly clean, and the staff is very conscientious and professional. The breakfast buffet is varied, with hot eggs, biscuits, gravy, waffle maker, yogurt, fresh fruit, and more. Our king size bed suite has a microwave, kitchen sink, cupboards, refrigerator, and coffee maker. The bathroom has plenty of towels, lotions, shower gel, and space. The rate is reasonable. This is worth the money.

Room Tip: there are suites.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is a standard Comfort Inn Hotel, not elegant, however comfortable. We did not like the fact than when we came, despite the confirmation, we did not get the king size bed room we had reserved for, neither the mountain view, that was one of the options. The answer from the reception was that they did not get our request, that I doubt about.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed in the Blacksburg Comfort inn on 6/16/12. On this trip was my wife and 2 children. We checked in, and immediately asked what was the hours of the pool. We were told 8 am to 11 pm.
We went shopping and spent time with family in the area. We came back to the hotel at 10 pm so the kids would have an hour of swim time before going to bed. To our amazement, the pool was already closed. We called the front desk and was alerted that the pool closed at 10 pm.
The kids were very disapointed that they could not swim. Had we known the correct hours, we would have been back for them to swim at the correct time.

So we go into our hotel room to turn on tv. There is nothing working but HBO. We kept getting an internet page before calling the front desk again. The lady said" The TV is out, we have the cable company coming over". so therefore we had no TV for the night.

The next morning we turned on the tv again, and still no TV. I wento to the front desk, and asked the lady, she said "It probably would not be fixed until monday, the cable people were here until 1 am". I then asked her to speak to a manager, she said I would have to call back monday, because management works weekdays....
I then asked her about an adjustment, because did she expect me to pay $110. (including tax) for this? she said the best she was allowed to do was 10%, if I felt more was needed I needed to call back on monday.

What a way to run a hotel. To me the busiest time of a hotel is on the weekends, and no management is available???

so i still had to pay 100. (with tax) to have my kids disapointed with no pool or TV.

I just think that the management of this hotel should be made aware what is happening to its guests on the weekend.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

You get pretty much exactly what you'd expect from a budget travelers' hotel. You get: a room that's decent size and clean; TV that works and has some basic cable; plenty of hot water in the shower; and a breakfast with weak coffee, miscellaneous cereal, and a waffle machine. We checked in really late and the desk staff were polite. The place accepts cats without any special fees or problems, too, which was a plus for us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Harrisonburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I got what I paid for. Checking in...I'm in the middle of the process and suddenly the manager on duty feels the need to discuss a previous check in issue with my desk clerk. I almost said that I'd return when they were done. Room was...okay. Wife and me in one bed, son in the other. Sheets would not stay on the bed (either bed), either night. Seemed clean and housekeeping did a good job with the room. It was a busy weekend and our attempt to eat breakfast here was abandoned after visiting the dining area.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Hillsville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Our 4-H club stayed here and at check in they went the extra mile to help us. The hotel was clean and the people very nice and helpful. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Blacksburg Comfort Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!