“Beautiful Location, Unfortunate Incident/Recommendation” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Passes to Local Wineries
Ranked #2 of 6 Berryville B&B and Inns
Stephenson, Va
“Beautiful Location, Unfortunate Incident/Recommendation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I recently married at the Rosemont and it's a beautiful property.
My grandmother was handicapped and this was mentioned; however,
a ramp that was suppose to be set up was not upon their arrival. My
grandmother is a trooper so she walked up the steps. A communication error
I'm sure but there are a lot of steps so if anyone needs assistance make sure to mention it
ahead of time (and the only room on the main level is the Roosevelt so ask for that one).
I only had contact with Michael, the wedding planner, throughout the process, and
we enjoyed his suggestions.
The decorations, rooms, and environment were beautiful. We lucked out and had an amazing August day in the 70's. Everyone thought the Rosemont was so charming, presidential and amazing. Unfortunately, the Officiate (recommended by the Rosemont) for the wedding ruined the experience. They recommended a Pastor John Lyttle. My husband and I worked on the wedding ceremony for days....and sent him the entire ceremony and asked if this was something he was comfortable with - he said yes. We were told he had done many types of weddings in the past so we were not concerned. We added a children's ceremony since we were going to be a blended family for example.
On the day of the wedding - it was obvious that he was not prepared -
He skipped our entire Foundation of the Wedding and then decided to use his own benediction
instead of the one that we wrote for him to read. In turn, this offended 1/2 the wedding party
that was Jewish and some of the non-denominational Christians in attendance. We
worked diligently to put together a very 'neutral' ceremony that would include our
beliefs but not offend any others. At the last second he folded his book and said he hoped we
didn't mind him doing his own benediction and before you know it - he was doing the holy
trinity for a Jewish family. We would recommend the establishment but go with your own
Reverend/Pastor/Rabbi because John Lyttle bumbled through the papers and was not rehearsed and ad-libbed where it was uncalled for - at this point I am still so frustrated that I haven't asked the Rosemont for my money back for the Reverend that they recommended and added to the bill - but there just isn't an excuse for that because it was the MOST important part of the wedding (our vows) and it still makes me upset (and my husband because he feels bad that he didn't stop the Reverend from doing his own thing). It was obvious the Reverend had his own belief system and made sure to throw it in the wedding whether we 'believed' it or not. It really
'hurt' us.

Room Tip: Choose the Roosevelt Room for space or make sure to ask ahead for the rooms that have showers and no...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
It was our pleasure to host your very beautiful and very special wedding at Rosemont. You, your new husband, and your families were wonderful and we are so pleased to have you as a part of the Rosemont “family”. We appreciate your kind words about the beauty of the manor, the assistance and suggestions you received from our staff throughout the process, and the favorable comments you received from your guests.

We offer our sincerest apologies, as we have done in person, for the issue with the ramp. It is difficult to determine when and where the communication breakdown occurred during the planning process, because we do have a ramp available and are always more than happy to make sure it is in place when needed. We are very sorry that this detail was overlooked, and we are glad that your grandmother was able to navigate the manor and property without incident. We enjoyed meeting her and talking with her at the wedding and we applaud you for thinking in advance about her needs. The safety of our guests is of the utmost importance to us, and we would never knowingly miss an opportunity to provide assistance in this area.

Secondly, we appreciate you bringing the concern with Mr. Lyttle to our attention on the evening of your wedding, as well as via email in the days that followed. As you mentioned in your review, the reason we suggested John to you as a possible officiant for you to interview, is because he has performed many different types of ceremonies here at Rosemont, and we have never before had a situation where he did not follow through with the couple’s wishes. So naturally, we took your feedback very seriously, and began following up with John immediately to determine what happened.

It is our understanding that in conducting the ceremony, he mistakenly overlooked some of the wording you had graciously provided for him and unintentionally went to a different protocol that was neither desired nor appropriate. Simply put, John feels just terrible about this accidental lapse, and never meant to step on your beliefs or impose any of his own. At the time of this response, John has provided to you a full apology, in writing (see copy below), and has requested that we return to you the full amount that you paid for officiant services. We do so wholeheartedly, and we apologize, again, for the distress that this caused to you and your families.

As I mentioned before, your event was lovely, your group was a joy, and we are honored to have been a part of your special day. We sincerely hope that these two issues will not overshadow what was otherwise a fabulous couple of days as your family celebrated here at Rosemont and enjoyed extended, memorable time together.

William “Biff” Genda

Copy of Mr. Lyttle’s letter to the bride and groom:

As the Officiant who presided over your wedding ceremony, I wish to whole-heartedly apologize to you both. I, in no way, intended to offend you two or the members of your families by the manner in which I conducted your wedding service. I received the wedding service script which you sent, read it over many times and attempted to include every feature for which you asked. Being an informal person, I did attempt to be a little more informal and, in hindsight, that was a mistake. I, in all honesty, did not intend to offend either of you or the Jewish members of the gathering when I used a benediction that included the "Father, Son and Holy Spirit". I sincerely apologize for not using your benediction.

What is done, I cannot undo, but I do wish to apologize and ask for your forgiveness for the distress that I caused. I have requested that Historic Rosemont Manor return to you the funds that were collected for my compensation. I assure you that, in the future, I will confer with every bride and groom and I will strictly follow their instructions as to the degree and type of religious references they wish to include in their wedding service. Please do not allow any short-comings on how I conducted your ceremony to color the manner in which you view Historic Rosemont or its fine staff. It is my fervent wish and prayer that you will be able to accept my sincerest apology and that you both enjoy a long and happy marriage.

John Lyttle
Marriage Officiant

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at the Rosemont Manor B & B in Berryville, VA which is about 50 miles west of Washington DC. The Victorian building has been restored to its original grandness. Many modern amenities including central climate control have been added. There are many deluxe rooms and suites in the main building and each room has its own bathroom. The front of the building overlooks a sixty acre park. The place is very tranquil and peaceful. The package included daily breakfast and free visits to twi vineyards for wine tasting. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had lots of fun and met many great people who were also staying at the Rosemont Manor. The only negative was the bed in the Churchill Suite. We have bad back and the mattress was soft. We will go there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Rosemont for your getaway, and thank you for taking the time to write us such a nice review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Rosemont, including the 60 acres of private estate grounds, meeting new people, and visits to local vineyards. We are also glad to hear that you received friendly and attentive service from our staff - we expect nothing less from our folks.

Thank you for your feedback on the mattress - we are looking into this right away. We are always watching for opportunities to improve and upgrade our accommodations, so this gives us food for thought.

Once again, we very much appreciate your kind words, and we do hope that you will come and see us at Rosemont again very soon!

Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Rosemont Manor sits back off the main road in it's own wonderful grounds. It definitely did not look as elegant as I first thought when I drove up but it's because you are entering the house through the back and not through the original front with the beautiful portico. That part of the house looks out on green fields and trees. It's a spectacular porch and very relaxing.

The receptionist did not greet us with a smile or a "Welcome to the Rosemont", instead she gave us our room key and sent us on our way. I asked if we could make coffee in our room but there is no facility for that in these rooms so I asked if it were possible to get some. She seemed a little disturbed that we asked. She did however, inform us that there would be a wine and cheese reception for guests starting at 5.00pm. This was only available on our first day.

We stayed in the Nixon Room on the second floor with an attached porch (original sleeping porch). The room itself was elegant but as soon as I opened the door to the outside porch it smelt musty and old. It was not very inviting at all. It is a shame that they have not restored the sleeping porch back to it's original state. The nails and paint make it impossible to open both top and bottom for airflow. The rug is old and worn as well as the furniture. My suggestion would be to go back to wood floors - no rug.

The rest of the house is elegant and it is very relaxing to walk around the grounds and sit on the porch. We would usually take our coffee our there in the morning and enjoy the views. Breakfast were tasty and the lady who was responsible for making it always made sure that she came around and talked to the guests. The waitresses were also very attentive.

All-in-all it was a pleasant two day trip that gave us an opportunity to explore the countryside with it's many vineyards, strawberry picking fields and visit the town of Winchester.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We appreciate very much that you mentioned several of the things you did enjoy about your stay as well as letting us know what we need to improve on. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the elegance of the manor house and the views from the Grand Portico. The fact that the guest entrance to the house is on the opposite side allows us to keep the Grand Portico and East Lawn area natural, quiet, and a relaxing place to sit in a rocking chair with a cup of tea and a good book, without foot and vehicle traffic disturbing your respite.

I am sorry to hear that you were not warmly greeted upon your arrival. This is most definitely a top priority for Rosemont and although it is rare for us to hear that it did not occur, anything less than 100% in this area is unacceptable to us. Please accept our apologies. We do also try to be ready and attentive in providing coffee or tea when requested, if other than during the mornings when coffee and tea are already "on tap" in the reception area. The wine and cheese reception you mentioned is our "Welcome Reception" and as such it is offered on the evening of your check-in.

Thank you also for your feedback on the Nixon Suite. We appreciate your suggestions and will look into maximizing possible improvements, as our guests' comfort is of the utmost importance to us.

In closing, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your breakfasts, and received top-notch customer service from our kitchen staff and servers. It sounds like you made great use of your time by enjoying the 60 acre estate grounds and nearby attractions in Winchester, Berryville, and the surrounding northern Shenandoah Valley area.

Middletown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Loved being there sitting on the porch, walking the lovely grounds, eating the wonderful breakfast and chatting with the friendly staff and other guests. The house is beautiful and historic and I felt at home. Loved reading the old magazines and books along with the photo albums of weddings that took place there. The welcome gift of goodies in the room and the wine reception were excellent! We also received coupon discounts for local attractions and restaurants. Will definitely be coming back there!

Room Tip: Stayed mid week in the addition. Very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your review, and once again Happy Birthday! We are so glad you enjoyed your "goodie basket" and coupons/discounts for local merchants, in addition to the history and scenery at Rosemont. We do hope you will come back soon and see us again!

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I stopped here on our way back down from Vermont. While we only stayed one night, the experience made me wish we had stayed longer. Upon our arrival we were greeted by a friendly history buff who made us feel welcome. I enjoy all that historical background, so I was enthralled and kept him talking. My husband....not so much. We stayed at the Johnson Suite on the second floor. It had an attached bathroom which was small but still provided everything we needed. I believe most of the rooms are on the second floor. I saw one room on the first floor, so if you have bad knees this may pose a problem for you. My favorite part of the stay: watching the fire works from the huge porch on the rocking chairs. The breakfast itself was too sugary for my taste (some sort of pan cakes with berries) but the presentation was excellent (I don't buy expensive china but I do appreciate it when I get to use it elsewhere!). This is a lovely plantation property.

RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback and thank you for choosing Rosemont for your lodging as you travelled down from Vermont. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay! There is a lot of history available to learn about the manor, for those who are interested, and it sounds like you took good advantage of that. We are also pleased that you received friendly service and enjoyed your room.

To clarify, we do have two options for guests needing first-floor accommodations: The Roosevelt Suite, which is the one you saw on the main floor of the main right near the entrance, and also the Byrd's Nest Honeymoon Cottage, which is a separate structure just across the driveway from the main manor.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you will come back and see us again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed three nights at Rosemont and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our room was one the smallest in the house but more than comfortable with a comfortable queen size bed and a spacious private bathroom. Our bathroom didn't include a shower head with the claw foot tub, but we didn't miss it. The staff is kind and attentive. The food was excellent and the portions are NOT small. The grounds and setting are stunning. Waking and awaiting breakfast service early in the morning became a routine of sitting in one of the rocking chairs on the porch enjoying the sun rising above the Blue Ridge Mountains. The perfect way to start a day of visiting the nearby vineyards. This truly was like being the guest in someones elegant home. We had a most enjoyable time and look forward to returning.

Room Tip: All rooms have private baths, but some rooms do not include showers with the bathtubs.
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your 3-night stay at Rosemont! We are glad that you were able to relax and enjoy the scenery of the northern Shenandoah Valley. Thank you for your feedback as well that you felt the breakfast portion size to be substantial, and that the room, bathroom, and customer service were all top-notch.

We're glad you didn't miss the hand-held shower head in the Harriman room/bathroom. All of the other rooms in the manor have either a full shower or a hand-held shower wand, but due to the layout of the Harriman bath, and the historic nature of that particular clawfoot tub, that one bathroom is the exception!

Again, thank you for your gracious review and we look forward to having you come for a visit again soon!

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The Rosemont Manor is like staying at a beautiful southern plantation with a large study, living room, dining room, grand staircase, and huge portico with an expansive, beautiful view. There are many books and a few games, but no TVs to disturb the quiet atmosphere. The Einstein Room had a comfortable queen bed, with a large bathroom and double head shower. Although the dining room was a great setting for breakfast and the service was excellent, the food served was average and portions were small. All facilities were immaculate. Overall our one night stay was a wonderful, relaxing experience in a unique setting.

RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your gracious review! We are so glad that you enjoyed a relaxing, peaceful retreat at Rosemont. We do our best to offer the best in southern hospitality - after all, Rosemont was a private home for 200 years, and we want all our guests to feel at home as well.

Thank you for your feedback about the portion size for breakfast. This is something we revisit often. Sometimes, we hear from folks that their "bellies are full" and so to reduce waste, we try not to serve too much. But we most definitely want our guests to feel that they got enough, so we appreciate the feedback and will take this into consideration as we plan our upcoming menus. We encourage future guests to discuss this with your server or our house chef while you are here at Rosemont, as well.

Again, we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope that you will come back and see us soon!

Owner

Been to Rosemont Manor? Share your experiences!