“Perfect for a short getaway!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Passes to Local Wineries
Ranked #2 of 6 Berryville B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Perfect for a short getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I bought a coupon through Recoup for 2 nights in a suite, with breakfast both days, a picnic lunch, a wine and cheese reception, and tastings for 2 at 3 winerys. Before purchasing the coupon, I did my homework on the dates and days of the week allowed for the stay (these are CLEARLY labeled, check before you buy) and on basic information about the manor especially since I had never stayed at a B&B before. Rosemont is a historic B&B, NOT a Comfort Inn, adjust your expectations accordingly. Before I get into details, I have to say we went with the purpose of unplugging, relaxing, and exploring VA wine country. To that end, Rosemont was PERFECT and we will definitely return. Frankly, I cannot imagine staying at another B&B because I feel like Rosemont will just put them to shame.

PROS -

-It only took us about 80 minutes to get to Rosemont from DC, and it was an easy drive. Definitely doable for a 2 day stay!
-The staff were AMAZING. So nice, so helpful, so accommodating. We had to reschedule multiple times because of freak occurrences (my mother passed away, snow storm, etc.) and they could not have been nicer. Many of them asked what we planned to do while in the area (and seemed genuinely interested) and offered up advice on places to go based on those interests.
-You know when you see amazing pictures of something, show up and are like "Eh." This was NOT like that. It is just as immaculately kept as the pictures show. The portico is amazing and the floors are made out of special material that doesn't absorb heat or inclement weather the way real wood does. You can tell that is is lovingly cared for. Really well done.
-ALL of the rooms and suites have private bathrooms. I found this to be a major plus, as it seems to be a luxury at most B&B's.
-breakfast was WONDERFUL day one was a really yummy parfait with banana nut french toast and sausage and day 2 was a sweet potato pancake with bacon, eggs, and fresh fruit.
-No TVs! Again, this is a historic old home, so the walls are a bit on the thin side. It was nice to know we could come and unplug without listening to another room blasting a tv all night.
-Less than 5 minutes from downtown Berryville (which had some surprisingly expensive food -- I'm looking at you Battletown Inn with that pathetic $8 starter salad) but while on the portico it felt like you were in the middle of nowhere. Best of both worlds!

CONS -
-Disclaimer: I knew this going in because I checked their website, but while the rooms all have private bathrooms, each one is different. Some only have showers, and some only have baths with handhelds. Again, ALL of this information is on their website, so check before you pick a room and make sure you're comfortable with what you choose. We stayed in the Churchill Suite, which had duel sinks and an AWESOME giant tub. It was a little weird washing my hair with a handheld (mostly because I was terrified of ruining the amazing mirror above the tub) but it was fine for 2 days on a lazy vaca, and frankly I wouldn't have traded that tub for anything. The water pressure on the handheld was too light for my thick hair, though. The bathroom is definitely more modern than most of the others, which seem to have claw foot tubs.
-The reason I couldn't give 5 stars: bugs. So I am TERRIFIED of any and all bugs. There seemed to be bugs on the large side (not like cockroach large but definitely sizable) throughout the manor. They looked like stink bugs, but there were 5 in our bathroom during the stay, at least 5 throughout the room, and I saw them occasionally throughout the manor (on a love seat, in a flower on the table at breakfast, on door frames, etc.) I realize it was spring in an old home, but it was a bit disconcerting when I put on my glasses in the morning to realize I had a ladybug chilling on my lens. I ended up making sure that our bags were firmly zipped shut throughout the stay to avoid any unwanted critters making the trip back to DC.
-The free guest parking was nice, but keep in mind its not directly on top of the manor (like 2 minutes walk on the grounds) but in the dead of night, that walk is blocked by the space they seem to use for wedding receptions and special events and therefore that walk is pretty dark. My city imagination was running wild, but I'm sure there was nothing to worry about, just something to keep in mind.

TIPS:
-The suites are A LOT bigger than most of the rooms, if you're not a light packer, or if you think you will want some space in your room to relax, go with a suite.
-The newer wing is down a hallway away from the grand staircase, and as a result seems like the room might maintain better heat in the cold months.
-The Roosevelt suite is perfect for those unable to do a long set of stairs, because it is on the first floor. BUT, keep in mind, it is on the first floor, and it's right next to the guest entrance/exit.
-You cannot walk to the wineries from Rosemont, so plan ahead and don't drink and drive!
-I know it says that restaurants in the area are open until 11 on their respective websites... but they're not. We walked into a restaurant in town at 8:45pm and was told they were about to close the kitchen (they were SUPER nice and still sat us - we made it quick getting soup, salad, and a sandwich) and the server warned us "I know some small towns aren't like this, but this one totally shuts down at 9pm. One time a couple from DC asked me what nightclubs were good around here." Berryville... nightclubs...c'mon America, let's not embarrass ourselves.
-Do your research in advance, EVERYTHING you could ever need to know about Rosemont is on their website, just look! THEN ask for advice and they'll give you awesome recommendations!

Room Tip: Roosevelt Suite is on the first floor next to guest entrance/exit, Eisenhower and Churchill suites a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your comprehensive review! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Rosemont and were able to relax and unwind during your getaway. It sounds like you made the most of your time both at the manor and in Berryville and the surrounding area.

We also appreciate your comments about reading the website. We work diligently to provide the very best and most updated information about Rosemont on our website. Unlike many businesses who rarely revisit their web content, we make updates and improvements to our website on a weekly if not daily basis. To that end, there really should be no surprises for our guests when they come to stay, including the fact that we do not have TV's (for the very reasons you mentioned). The information about each of the individual bathrooms is also listed in each room's description on the website so that our guests can make an informed choice. (And many, like you, love having the large sculpted or clawfoot tubs even though they involve the use of the hand-held shower.) So, THANK YOU, for reading the website ahead of time so that you could plan your Rosemont stay according to your preferences.

Thank you also for your kind words about our staff, breakfasts, and the overall beauty of Rosemont. We do our best to post amazing photographs, but we really do believe Rosemont is a place you have to see (in person!) to believe.

Now, if I may, I'd like to address a couple of the other issues mentioned. First, yes, what you saw were stinkbugs. They are the BANE of the mid-Atlantic! They are harmless to humans, other than their not-so-lovely appearance, but they are certainly quite difficult to get rid of. They can be found in and around any home in our area, and guess what they love most -- old wood! Naturally, a 200 year old manor, despite being newly restored, is a paradise for these critters. Nonetheless, we do everything in our power to keep them out, and to remove them when they make their way in. We encourage guests, if they encounter one of these unwelcome visitors, to alert a staff member who will promptly remove it for them.

Also, in terms of the parking area, that is a space that should most definitely have been illuminated for you, so we apologize if the parking area was dark. There are lights there, so we will look into this immediately and make sure that the bulbs are in good working order so that this should not be a continued issue.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experiences at Rosemont! We are flattered that you feel we are above and beyond other B&B's, and we hope that means you'll come back to see us again!

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We spent two nights at the Rosemont at one of their suites and found the property to be beautifully restored and the staff very friendly and accommodative. The room was well appointed, beautifully decorated with an eye toward keeping the period feel in tact. Breakfast was delicious and interesting, not your standard eggs and bacon. The front porch is a beautiful place to relax with a book or a cocktail. Be sure to bring your own drinks as the manor doesn't have a bar and a wine reception is offered on your first night only, not nightly as is the case in other bed and breakfasts. My only complaint was with the stink bugs. I did not even know what they were until we saw them in our room. It seems the are quite prevalent in this area particularly in the colder months. They are harmless, don't bite and are easily killed but they are quite ugly. If you are squeamish about bugs you may have a rough time as we probably killed more than a dozen each day. The hotel is located off the track but close to some nice vineyards.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so glad that you enjoyed your accommodations at Rosemont as well as the breakfasts and overall service. It sounds like you did a great job of taking advantage of the mountain views off the Grand Portico and visiting local vineyards during your trip.

We do apologize for the stink bugs - they are truly a challenge to every homeowner and business owner in our region! We do our best to keep them at bay without using environmentally harmful pesticides, but they do sometimes make their way in at this time of year. We encourage guests to alert the staff whenever one of the unwelcome "critters" is found and we'll be happy to remove it for you.

Thank you again for choosing Rosemont for your overnight getaway. We hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Federalsburg Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Rosemont Manor is a historical cultural icon where American history dwells. Here is where you can walk in the same halls where some of the most influential American Presidents walked. I could almost feel the presence of Franklin D Roosevelt, Richard Nixon, and John F Kennedy as I strolled Rosemont's halls. The grounds of Rosemont were expansive and beautiful. The architectural beauty beyond description. The morning breakfast was outstanding and everyone at Rosemont made me feel special.

• Stayed October 2012
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Thank you so much for your gracious review. We are always pleased to hear that our guests have truly embraced the rich history which surrounds Rosemont. From its inception as a wedding present from the first high sheriff of Clarke County for his bride, to the Civil War battle fought on the grounds, to the Byrd Family and their distinguished Presidential and influential guests, Rosemont really is brimming with over 200 years of history.

We are so glad that you enjoyed a comfortable stay and a delicious breakfast as well! Thank you again for your kind words and we hope that you'll be back to see us again soon.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Rosemont was the first venue my husband and I looked at when we got engaged and we didn't even bother looking anywhere else. Our meeting took 30 minutes of walking around the venue, meeting the amazing staff and being awed by all of the elegance that surrounds you in Rosemont.

Our original wedding date was set for December, but due to my husband's Father's health we had to move the wedding to March. Michael didn't hesitate when we told him we had to move the event 9 months earlier. He instantly helped us switch gears from a Christmas wedding to an early spring wedding. He kept us well within our budget and kept the goal in sight, the love for our family.

So now the day has come and gone and I will never forget the amazing wedding I got to share with my family. The day was so smooth from start to finish. As bride you anticipate chaos and stress, but at Rosemont they take care of you in EVERY way. Early in the morning all the ladies are enjoying champagne, muffins and strawberries while we get our hair and make-up done. Then we had a light lunch that my husband and I could create... literally anything we wanted. Then on to getting ready and the most memorable part..."The First Look." This is unique to Rosemont Manor weddings and I recommend every bride do this. I'll never forget how romantic it was and how it helped me ease my jitters.

The ceremony was breath taking with all of the flowers made by Michael our wedding planner. He truly is a Godsend. The officiate that Rosemont referred me to made our ceremony so personal and touching. Every vendor they refer you to, DO NOT HESITATE. They are worth the referral!

Every single person in my family and my husband's told us it was the best wedding they have ever been to. They said no only could they see the love, but they could feel it throughout the property. The romance of this location is palpable.

I'm going to name names so you know who to ask for when you go to Rosemont, because you WANT this gorgeous place to be your wedding venue. I promise you won't regret it. The names to ask for:

1) Michael Haymaker- He is THE wedding planner of the century. Anything and everything you dream of he will help you make it come true, while staying in your budget and keeping you in reality :-) He will treat you as if you are his own family and there is no experience and no other wedding planner you can compare this experience to.

2) Tona - Amazing chef who referred us to a local vineyard to pair their wines with our dinner perfectly. Delicious and a great experience for our guests!

3) Biff Genda- The owner did everything to make sure things were running smoothly. He called me to make sure I was happy with the service I was receiving and if there was anything I needed he gave me his cell phone. No other owners are ever as involved as Biff.

4) John Lyttle- Who made our wedding perfect. He is the best officiate with a great price!

5) Kerry and Cory- Who made my hair and make-up look angelic. All of my sisters and the mothers looked stunning. You two are amazing and SO sweet!

6) All of the staff who made my wedding perfect. The bartender, the servers, the workman who put together my chairs and pergola, the gardeners who keep the grounds perfect and the administrators who help you stay on target with your finances.

My husband and I intend to visit Rosemont every year to celebrate our anniversary and remember the perfect day to celebrate our love and made our family feel part of every minute. I'll never forget all of the heart and effort the Rosemont staff put into me and my husband.

Thank you so much for everything, there aren't enough words to explain how perfect everything was for us.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Katie,

Just as you feel there aren't enough words to say thank you, we feel the same way about you! We are so very appreciative to you for sharing your experience at Rosemont so that other brides, travellers, and tea guests can feel confident that they will receive great service and have a wonderful time at Rosemont.

It was our pleasure to host your beautiful wedding, and we are thrilled that you and your husband are already planning a visit for your anniversary.

And by the way, you are very kind to mention folks by name - your review brought smiles to many faces today.

Thanks again, Katie, for your gracious words and we wish you and your husband all the best in this new chapter of your lives!

crittenden,virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Just got back from a wonderful weekend at the Rosemont. The inn is in the town of berryville, va, a small charming town with many wineries within a 5 to 15 min ride. The inn is beautiful with mountain views all around. Our room was very pretty, we got to see some of the other rooms and all were different, and decorated very nice. They had a cheese and wine reception after check in, in the lobby, you could sit in the formal living room or the rocking chairs on the porch, to sit and enjoy the landscape. Breakfast was in the dinning room starting at 8: 30. The tables were set with white tables clothes, fine china, and fresh flowers. The breakfast started out with coffee, teas and juices, went to the first course of fruits and yogurts, and then on to the main course of eggs, meats and breads.The presentation of the food was all gourmet. They will even do a lunch basket for you if you would like to take it on your day trip. You have skyline drive close by, wineries, antiques, restaurants, horse racing, and casino all great for a day trip.
the perfect place for a get away.

Room Tip: I thought all rooms were nice, but one room had a balcony, and one room had a private porch what wou...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Rosemont, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. It sounds like you made the most of your time - enjoying Berryville and the surrounding attractions, as well as just relaxing at Rosemont and enjoying the peace and quiet.

We're also pleased that you enjoyed breakfast - our chef has travelled the world and is excited to offer delicious and unique selections to our guests. Her breakfasts are one of the reasons people say they come back to Rosemont!

Thank you again for your kind words, and we hope to see you at Rosemont again soon!

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I treated my husband to an extended birthday weekend at the Rosemont. I was pleasantly surprised by the fresh and airy feel of the historical B&B. The staff was friendly and helpful; the facility was clean; the small town of Berryville is a little sleepy, Winchester, a bit larger is just a few minutes away. We went in February so not a lot of green, but I could tell that the grounds were taken care of. I loved the view of the land from the portico. The breakfast was ok. My husband and I are used to big hardy breakfasts characteristic in the south, that was not the case here. Other than the stink bugs that remained a constant in our suite, we were pleased with our accomodations. I guess we had so many of the critters because our room was right next to the front entrance. We stayed in the Roosevelt suite. It was very comfortable and we were happy about having a room thermostat which allowed us to adjust the heat as necessary. I can see why couples would use this site as a wedding venue. It is lovely. If you go, be aware that many of the local restaurants are closed on Sunday or close early. Our hosts recommended the Battletown Inn and the Berryville Grill. We missed both of those and ended up at Mario's Pizzaria. We were not pleased at all with our pizzas. We would love to revisit the Rosemont in the spring or summer.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you so much for choosing Rosemont for your overnight getway and thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of the manor and the surrounding grounds. We do apologize for those darned stink bugs - that weekend was unseasonably warm in the Shenandoah Valley and we ended up with some unwanted visitors making their way into the manor through some open windows.

We're glad you were able to explore both Berryville and nearby Winchester during your stay as well. We do hope you'll make a trip back to see us in the spring or summer when everything is in bloom.

Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

This review is a bit overdue (friend's wedding in Sept '12). My boyfriend was one of the groomsmen in the wedding on this elegant property. The wedding couple rented out the whole property for the weekend. It was beautiful! Each party member received their own accommodations for the weekend. There were wonderful breakfasts each morning and the food was outstanding. The rooms were clean, quiet and comfortable. The views were amazing and the property so picturesque! I loved having the rehearsal dinner on their grand porch and a cocktail hour the evening after the wedding. There was plenty to be done during the day in the town of Berryville as well. Including a small town barber shop! The entire experience was amazing. Let me not forget the wonderful and courteous staff who was a great help throughout the entire stay. Very, very friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
RMInnkeeper, Owner at Rosemont Manor, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words -- it's never too late for a wonderful review like this one! We are so glad that you, your boyfriend, and your friends all enjoyed your weekend at Rosemont. Whether our guests are here for a wedding, an overnight getaway, or a manor house tea, we want their stay to be the ultimate in comfort and luxury. We are pleased to hear that you were able to experience the quaint, hometown feel of Berryville, as well as enjoying the 60 acre property at Rosemont and its views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Thank you again for your gracious review, and we hope to see you at Rosemont again soon -- for an overnight stay, a tea, or maybe someday for your own wedding!

Owner

Been to Rosemont Manor? Share your experiences!