“A Great Place For A Getaway From DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern
102 West Main Street, Berryville, VA 22611   |
Alexandria, VA
“A Great Place For A Getaway From DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Every now and then, to perserve my sanity, I leave the Washington, DC area for the Shenanadoah Valley. I enjoy participating in religious services at Holy Cross Abbey in Berryville, VA and whenever I can I stay at the Battletown Inn right in the heart of Berryville. This is a very pleasant place that is owned and operated by two great people who do all they can to make their guests feel welcome and comfortable. The rooms are somewhat rustic (these are old, historic buildings) but very comfortable and functional. The restaurant serves very good food at reasonable prices. The upstairs bar is a fun place for a few drinks and staffed by a very cordial and efficient bartender. Berryville is a very small town - and although it is only about 75 miles from Washington, DC it has that Mayberry feel to it. It is extremely quiet and tranquil - not much nightlife here. The locals are extremely friendly and helpful. You are close to Winchester and plenty of wineries so Berryville is a good springboard to visit other places in the area. I give the Battletown Inn my highest endorsement and recommendation - the room rates are moderate and the staff terrific - so head out one weekend for a most enjoyable getaway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Berryville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My favorite in the evening is the tavern, where you can get the sandwich menu. Inexpensive, yet good food. They were also very accommodating when I needed to plan a last-minute event for 100 people and very reasonably priced. Love the food, love the staff, love the management.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I didn't actually have the chance to stay here due to some schedule conflicts, but I had a really pleasant experience with the owner, he was very understanding about a reservation mishap. I will definitely be visiting this Inn when my boyfriend moves back to the area!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I had dinner there and it was wonderful. The Inn was decorated for the holidays and was lovely. I had the shrimp and grits which were delicious while my husband had the crab cakes. He would definitely order them again. The same goes for the shrimp and grits. We had been to the Inn several times for lunch which we enjoyed and decided to go there for dinner. The service was excellent. We will definitely be back for dinner again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Havre de Grace, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Battletown Inn at the end of October 2012 for 1 night and we enjoyed our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable and the inn was quiet. The innkeeper James and his wife are very friendly and personable. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was better than I expected, it was very very good. The portions are small so don't expect a lot of food on the plate but the prices are very reasonable too, especially for the atmospher, you would expect to pay more for your meal in such as nice restaurant. We were very happy with our stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shenandoah Valley, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My mother took a small group (7) to the Battletown Inn for my birthday dinner in April and a wonderful time was had by all. We had called ahead and talked to James (the owner) and when we arrived, everything was exactly as we had requested, right down to a simple dialogue on glutton-free offerings for two of my guests. Four of our guests were born and bred southerners and everyone agreed the fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits were fantastic and absolutely correctly made. The tenderloin, onion and bisque soups also got rave reviews. We took a birthday cake from the Uppercrust Bakery in Middleburg (exquisite by the way!) and they graciously provided candles, served it, and boxed pieces to go for us. The service, food, atmosphere, everything was just as we wished and as it should be. Pricing is very reasonable for the overall experience and everyone left with raving reviews of the evening. Oh, and this was a weeknight when many restaurants aren't always up to snuff. The Battletown rose to the occasion in a grand way. Thank you, James and staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed here for one evening. The innkeeper James was very personable and even offered a free drink at the bar which had a great atmosphere. Enjoyed the fireplace in the lounge. The restaurant food and atmosphere (another fireplace) were truly outstanding and service matched. The room was not on par with high-end but it is not advertised as such. It was clean and well kept. Remodeled bath was nice. Town has a small commercial area. Recommended for a cozy retreat en route your final destination.

Room Tip: The town firehouse alarm sounded twice but just added to the small town atmosphere!!