“Great customer service” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern
102 West Main Street, Berryville, VA 22611   |
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great customer service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I didn't actually have the chance to stay here due to some schedule conflicts, but I had a really pleasant experience with the owner, he was very understanding about a reservation mishap. I will definitely be visiting this Inn when my boyfriend moves back to the area!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

My husband and I had dinner there and it was wonderful. The Inn was decorated for the holidays and was lovely. I had the shrimp and grits which were delicious while my husband had the crab cakes. He would definitely order them again. The same goes for the shrimp and grits. We had been to the Inn several times for lunch which we enjoyed and decided to go there for dinner. The service was excellent. We will definitely be back for dinner again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Havre de Grace, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Battletown Inn at the end of October 2012 for 1 night and we enjoyed our stay. Our room was clean and comfortable and the inn was quiet. The innkeeper James and his wife are very friendly and personable. We had dinner in the restaurant and the food was better than I expected, it was very very good. The portions are small so don't expect a lot of food on the plate but the prices are very reasonable too, especially for the atmospher, you would expect to pay more for your meal in such as nice restaurant. We were very happy with our stay and we would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shenandoah Valley, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My mother took a small group (7) to the Battletown Inn for my birthday dinner in April and a wonderful time was had by all. We had called ahead and talked to James (the owner) and when we arrived, everything was exactly as we had requested, right down to a simple dialogue on glutton-free offerings for two of my guests. Four of our guests were born and bred southerners and everyone agreed the fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits were fantastic and absolutely correctly made. The tenderloin, onion and bisque soups also got rave reviews. We took a birthday cake from the Uppercrust Bakery in Middleburg (exquisite by the way!) and they graciously provided candles, served it, and boxed pieces to go for us. The service, food, atmosphere, everything was just as we wished and as it should be. Pricing is very reasonable for the overall experience and everyone left with raving reviews of the evening. Oh, and this was a weeknight when many restaurants aren't always up to snuff. The Battletown rose to the occasion in a grand way. Thank you, James and staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed here for one evening. The innkeeper James was very personable and even offered a free drink at the bar which had a great atmosphere. Enjoyed the fireplace in the lounge. The restaurant food and atmosphere (another fireplace) were truly outstanding and service matched. The room was not on par with high-end but it is not advertised as such. It was clean and well kept. Remodeled bath was nice. Town has a small commercial area. Recommended for a cozy retreat en route your final destination.

Room Tip: The town firehouse alarm sounded twice but just added to the small town atmosphere!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is a very historic hotel in a lovely town. We stayed in the separate building. The rooms were very clean and serviced regularly. No tea and coffee making facilities. No breakfast available at the hotel but several nice cafe's available down the street including a great Bakery which serves meals. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

My husband planned a wine tour weekend with accommodations at the Battlefield Inn. He got a great deal with our room and upscale dinner at $200.

The room was nicely appointed and it appeared that the bathroom was recently renovated, yet still had a classic charm. We did have two minor complaints though. First, the heater either left the room too hot or cold. We couldn't get the temperature just right. Second, there was a great deal of street noise and we could hear the trains blasting their horn late at night. For someone that is a heavy sleeper, I was quite surprised.

Dinner at the Inn was delicious. We both had the beef tenderloin with my husband starting with a crab bisque while I enjoyed their version of French onion soup. I had an apple tart with ice cream for dessert while my husband enjoyed a chocolate cupcake with ice cream. Overall the food was excellent but my husband thought his beef was slightly under done while I could have used a bit less nutmeg on my tart.

Overall the service was outstanding and we certainly recommend the place. One final warning to all the wine lovers - stick to the vineyards around Purceville and Hillsboro. The places near Berryville left something to be desired both in terms of service and quality of product.

• Stayed November 2011

Been to Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern? Share your experiences!