“Lovely Birthday Dinner” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern
102 West Main Street, Berryville, VA 22611   |
Shenandoah Valley, VA
“Lovely Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

My mother took a small group (7) to the Battletown Inn for my birthday dinner in April and a wonderful time was had by all. We had called ahead and talked to James (the owner) and when we arrived, everything was exactly as we had requested, right down to a simple dialogue on glutton-free offerings for two of my guests. Four of our guests were born and bred southerners and everyone agreed the fried green tomatoes and shrimp and grits were fantastic and absolutely correctly made. The tenderloin, onion and bisque soups also got rave reviews. We took a birthday cake from the Uppercrust Bakery in Middleburg (exquisite by the way!) and they graciously provided candles, served it, and boxed pieces to go for us. The service, food, atmosphere, everything was just as we wished and as it should be. Pricing is very reasonable for the overall experience and everyone left with raving reviews of the evening. Oh, and this was a weeknight when many restaurants aren't always up to snuff. The Battletown rose to the occasion in a grand way. Thank you, James and staff!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Stayed here for one evening. The innkeeper James was very personable and even offered a free drink at the bar which had a great atmosphere. Enjoyed the fireplace in the lounge. The restaurant food and atmosphere (another fireplace) were truly outstanding and service matched. The room was not on par with high-end but it is not advertised as such. It was clean and well kept. Remodeled bath was nice. Town has a small commercial area. Recommended for a cozy retreat en route your final destination.

Room Tip: The town firehouse alarm sounded twice but just added to the small town atmosphere!!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is a very historic hotel in a lovely town. We stayed in the separate building. The rooms were very clean and serviced regularly. No tea and coffee making facilities. No breakfast available at the hotel but several nice cafe's available down the street including a great Bakery which serves meals. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

My husband planned a wine tour weekend with accommodations at the Battlefield Inn. He got a great deal with our room and upscale dinner at $200.

The room was nicely appointed and it appeared that the bathroom was recently renovated, yet still had a classic charm. We did have two minor complaints though. First, the heater either left the room too hot or cold. We couldn't get the temperature just right. Second, there was a great deal of street noise and we could hear the trains blasting their horn late at night. For someone that is a heavy sleeper, I was quite surprised.

Dinner at the Inn was delicious. We both had the beef tenderloin with my husband starting with a crab bisque while I enjoyed their version of French onion soup. I had an apple tart with ice cream for dessert while my husband enjoyed a chocolate cupcake with ice cream. Overall the food was excellent but my husband thought his beef was slightly under done while I could have used a bit less nutmeg on my tart.

Overall the service was outstanding and we certainly recommend the place. One final warning to all the wine lovers - stick to the vineyards around Purceville and Hillsboro. The places near Berryville left something to be desired both in terms of service and quality of product.

• Stayed November 2011
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

The Battletown Inn generously donated one weekend-night stay to the silent auction at Reston Interfaith's annual Embry Rucker Memorial Golf Tournament, the proceeds of which directly benefit northern Virginians in need by connecting them to vital resources. James Lynch, the propreitor, was a hoot & a gentleman. Based on his generosity and good natured sense of humor, as well as the beautiful historic inn itself, I would recommend The Battletown.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

My friends and I were driving through Berryville a couple weeks ago, when we spotted The Battletown Inn. Something about the large white historical look to the place seemed to intrigue us so we ventured inside. When we walked in, the architecture of the place gave us somewhat of an old world feel, yet comfortable, homey feel. The more we saw of The Battletown Inn, the more intrigued we were and once upstairs, the smell of unbelievably good food hit our noses. Never in my life have I had such delicious salmon with scallops. So juicy, so tender, so fresh!! My friends ate everything on their plates as well! Perfect portions, excellent service and waiter ,with a very attentive and hospitable host, Jim. Everything about The Battletown Inn was extremelly fantastic and we intend to tell everyone about our experience. We can't wait to travel back to Berryville and visit The Battletown Inn!! Thank you and hope to see you all very soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011 via mobile

Decent enough place, but there was something broken in every room I went in. (My family essentially took the place over for a wedding.) The staff members were really nice and helpful when we could find them, but were very hard to track down. When the restaurant part is closed, the staff disappear. This was really frustrating.

• Stayed May 2011

Been to Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern? Share your experiences!