“No frills” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern

Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berryville
Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern
102 West Main Street, Berryville, VA 22611   |
Ranked #5 of 8 Berryville B&B and Inns
Perth, Australia
“No frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2011

This is a very historic hotel in a lovely town. We stayed in the separate building. The rooms were very clean and serviced regularly. No tea and coffee making facilities. No breakfast available at the hotel but several nice cafe's available down the street including a great Bakery which serves meals. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

27 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011 via mobile

My husband planned a wine tour weekend with accommodations at the Battlefield Inn. He got a great deal with our room and upscale dinner at $200.

The room was nicely appointed and it appeared that the bathroom was recently renovated, yet still had a classic charm. We did have two minor complaints though. First, the heater either left the room too hot or cold. We couldn't get the temperature just right. Second, there was a great deal of street noise and we could hear the trains blasting their horn late at night. For someone that is a heavy sleeper, I was quite surprised.

Dinner at the Inn was delicious. We both had the beef tenderloin with my husband starting with a crab bisque while I enjoyed their version of French onion soup. I had an apple tart with ice cream for dessert while my husband enjoyed a chocolate cupcake with ice cream. Overall the food was excellent but my husband thought his beef was slightly under done while I could have used a bit less nutmeg on my tart.

Overall the service was outstanding and we certainly recommend the place. One final warning to all the wine lovers - stick to the vineyards around Purceville and Hillsboro. The places near Berryville left something to be desired both in terms of service and quality of product.

• Stayed November 2011
Reston, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

The Battletown Inn generously donated one weekend-night stay to the silent auction at Reston Interfaith's annual Embry Rucker Memorial Golf Tournament, the proceeds of which directly benefit northern Virginians in need by connecting them to vital resources. James Lynch, the propreitor, was a hoot & a gentleman. Based on his generosity and good natured sense of humor, as well as the beautiful historic inn itself, I would recommend The Battletown.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

My friends and I were driving through Berryville a couple weeks ago, when we spotted The Battletown Inn. Something about the large white historical look to the place seemed to intrigue us so we ventured inside. When we walked in, the architecture of the place gave us somewhat of an old world feel, yet comfortable, homey feel. The more we saw of The Battletown Inn, the more intrigued we were and once upstairs, the smell of unbelievably good food hit our noses. Never in my life have I had such delicious salmon with scallops. So juicy, so tender, so fresh!! My friends ate everything on their plates as well! Perfect portions, excellent service and waiter ,with a very attentive and hospitable host, Jim. Everything about The Battletown Inn was extremelly fantastic and we intend to tell everyone about our experience. We can't wait to travel back to Berryville and visit The Battletown Inn!! Thank you and hope to see you all very soon.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011 via mobile

Decent enough place, but there was something broken in every room I went in. (My family essentially took the place over for a wedding.) The staff members were really nice and helpful when we could find them, but were very hard to track down. When the restaurant part is closed, the staff disappear. This was really frustrating.

• Stayed May 2011
Linden, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

The Battletown Inn restaurant - Found a jewel of a restaurant with ABSOLUTELY GREAT Food at a GREAT value.
We drove the 45 minutes from Linden VA and was very pleased. The hospitality was welcoming, the staff was eager to serve, but allowed us time and space to enjoy our meal/company and the atmosphere, with the fireplace, was relaxing. However, the proof was in the pudding, my pork chop was at least 1 ½ inches think, my wife’s steak similar and others in my party were equally pleased. The Chef had a free serving of vegetables brought out for us to enjoy which were excellent.
I would HIGHLY recommend and I look forward to visiting the Gray Ghost Tavern above the restaurant next time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Sterling, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This review is not for the hotel, just lunch at the restaurant on Saturday. Fiancee and I were out motorcycle riding for the day and picked the Battletown Inn for lunch. Signage is almost non-existant and with several entrances you aren't sure where you are supposed to go. Later as I went to the ladies room I found a new patron standing at the front desk yelling 'hello!?!?". They need a bell or some other way to know when someone has arrived.

At first we weren't sure if we were under dressed but the hostess assured us we were not. The ambience inside was quite nice, but we choose to sit outside on the very nice patio. There was a business meeting going on upstairs, a birthday party of some sort inside, and a few scattered lunch patrons.

We each had a Stella Artois with lunch, fiancee had a Hot Kentucky Brown and I got the Hot Roast Beef - both open faced sandwiches. Mine was quite tasty and on some sort of very tasty garlic bread, but was barely warm. Fiancee's had to send his back - the bacon on it was raw - not just 'not crisp' - but RAW. Not only is that unappetizing, it's a health hazard. For dessert we had the apple crisp - which was quite wonderful - the best part of the meal.

It was a mix - given how much we love good food and travel/eat - we will not make the effort to return to this restaurant - mostly due to the raw bacon incident.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Battletown Inn and Gray Ghost Tavern? Share your experiences!