“Mice Infested” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Otter's Den Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bedford
Otter's Den Bed & Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Otter's Den Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
8578 Peaks Road, Bedford, VA 24523   |
Ranked #7 of 7 Bedford B&B and Inns
Manassas, Virginia
“Mice Infested”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Upon our visit, as we turned down the bed....OMG.. somone had been sleeping in the bed and the sheets were never changed from the last guest. We decided to change rooms and OMG the bed was covered with mouse droppings on top and under the pillows.. GROSS! We were just going to ask for new sheets and went to look around but please don't look underneath the couch cushions... It was full of mouse droppings and nest beyond anything I had even seen. I was waiting for something to crawl out...It was totally disgusting. The kitchen is a disgrace and I would never want to eat there for it was so cluttered and piled like a storage shed and the floor was covered with cat beds, food bowls all over the floor and litter box right in front of the stove. This was the most unsanitary place I've ever seen in my life. I feel for her but it's time to sell and let someone else give this place back it's honor. Or Shut it Down!! I love old and rustic but unsantary isn't acceptable for I was afraid to touch or sit anywhere. As you can guess we left! I'm sorry to write this but I felt it was necessary to others.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Bethesda, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

We found the Den just right for what we were looking for our 40th anniversary. We wanted rustic. We wanted quiet and secluded. We wanted real log cabin appeal. This was a lovely restored 1797 log cabin with modern amenities that were well installed.Our experience held a wonderful view out a picture window while we talked, savored our wine and cheese, and listened to our music. Breakfast in the morning was a delicious country breakfast.
We plan to take our family for a mini-reunion and stay two nights to enjoy the countryside and the Blue Ridge Parkway.
We have grown up in log cabins. We have reassembled a cabin built in 1828,. This was the real McCoy with plenty of interesting character, history, and homeyness.

Room Tip: Can't go wrong. All four have modern private baths. All four are roomy with their own charm. Two...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Roxboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

My first impression of this place when I pulled in was turn around and leave!!!! This B&B is so run down and obviously entirely too much for the owner to care for on her own. The landscaping is overgrown, the walk ways are hard to find due to overgrown shrubs and weeds. Everything has been neglected!!! While the inside is rustic and what you would expect from a home built in the 1700's. It was musty, dirty, and needs alot of attention. DON'T REFER TO THE PICTURES OR ROOM PRICES you see online!!!! They are outdated, inaccurate and do not portray what you see online. This place is completely overpriced for what you get. The owner should use the money she is currently ripping people off with by purchasing new mattresses,pillows, sheets, and a landscaper. She makes you feel almost bad for wanting to leave early b/c "it's her only income". The breakfast is ok and probably the only highlight anyones stay. I don't recommend this place to anyone. Go down the road to the Peaks of Otter Lodge instead!!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Conestoga, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

It is so sad to see such a beautiful property fall to disrepair and neglect. The owner explained that her husband had passed away three years ago and that he was the one who took care of maintaining the property. It is clearly too much for her to maintain on her own. This is a very old log cabin retrofitted into a bed and breakfast with modern bathrooms. The yard was a mess and looked as though it hadn't been cared for all year. A decayed hot tub that was advertised on the website sat in the yard covered in weeds. I was informed that it has not been working for years. The rooms were musty and in poor shape although generally clean. Stink bugs filled the room at night. I opted for the room with a whirlpool bathtub. The bathtub must not have been used in a while since rusty water came from the jets. I had to use this bathtub because there was no shower or other means to get cleaned up in this room. The decor was generally shabby. The common room included a non-working fireplace at the time of my visit. The breakfast was an acceptable plate of scrambled eggs, grits, sausage and canned mandarin oranges. While I seriously wanted to leave and stay somewhere else, I decided to stay the night. Two couples had reservations for the same night and came in and made their excuses for why they could not stay the night. I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone unless they are seriously interested in old log cabins and didn't mind the extremely rustic setting and bugs. For the price, there are many other bed and breakfasts that offer a more comfortable night's lodging. I don't like giving poor reviews but I hope this helps others to decide on the place based on a more accurate description than provided on the website and some older reviews.

Room Tip: Second floor room with whirlpool tub has ONLY a whirlpool tub to use for bathing. Other rooms have...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Otters Den is a wonderfully historic inn nestled atop the Blue Mountains. We chose to stay here due to its setting in the woods, knowing that we were leaving the modern world behind. We love our wifi, and you won't find it here! Otters den did not disappoint. The view from the screened in porch was amazing and the sounds and smells of mountain country soothed our souls. We loved the 2 person tub for a morning soak while the birds sang.

Our hostess Mickie was very welcoming, like dropping in to visit a distant cousin. We felt good knowing our stay was a contribution after learning that her husband recently passed away. The grounds are needing some care, but the room was clean and well prepared. Over breakfast we learned just how much effort Mickie has to put in to keep the place going. She prepares an extremely hearty breakfast - we never tasted such good grits!

If you are looking for a place to stay in a natural setting, stay at Otters Den. It's also a great place to start your trip to Otters Peak hiking trails or the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Room Tip: Take the upper King room if it's in your budget!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed at The Otter's Den on a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is nestled in the woods, with wonderful flower gardens. The owner collects otter objects, so you see all kinds of otters around the Inn. There is a very large common room with a fireplace and TV. We chose the 1st floor room to have a screen porch with access to the gardens, attached to the room. It is an extremely old log cabin, so it is very cool to stay there.

Room Tip: I suggest a 1st floor room for outside access.
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

The lodge is totally different taste from modern hotel. If you look for a place with all kinds of fancy electronic included, this is definitely not a good match for you.

The lodge itself is a over hundred year building but with excellent condition. All the interior decoration are very unique and cute. The owner herself is a big fan of otter so that you can see all kinds of otter related collection around the house.

The property owner is very friendly and talkative. She will provide with you abundant breakfast every morning and share you with the local information and experience.

But you may think about it before you decide to make a reservation if you are extremely sensitive to bugs. Due to the natural environment around, you may experience few stink bugs in your room due to the fact it is likely to be attracted by the light. But as long as you don't keep the light closed to you open all the time, they may not stay so close to you. I personally won't feel uncomfortable with it.

I definitely would still consider to live in Otter Den's B&B next time while I re-visit Blue Ridge Parkway.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Otter's Den Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!