“Fabulous Visit!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Reba Farm Inn

Reba Farm Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bedford
Reba Farm Inn
Save Saved
You added Reba Farm Inn to your Saves list
3094 Sheep Creek Road, Bedford, VA 24523   |
Ranked #6 of 7 Bedford B&B and Inns
South Orange, New Jersey
“Fabulous Visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Our group of three adults and two small children stayed in the cottage for four nights. It was amazing!!!! I read Virgina007's review and was a little nervous, but I am so glad we went! This is a bed and breakfast, it is not a hotel. It is also the home base for a working horse farm and rescue operation, so the owners are not around all day, which actually made us feel like we had the whole place to ourself! The breakfasts Kathleen made were amazing. In terms of the review mentioned, the game room is a little musty, but turning on the air conditioner lets the room breathe. I'm guessing it doesn't get visited too much- after all, who wants to spend time in a game room when you can hang in the Blue Ridge Mtns? For the most part, the horses stay at the other end of the farm, which is over a mile away. I went on two rides, and one of the rides my children (2 and 4) also rode horses. It was beautiful. There are going to be gravel roads (note- do NOT follow your GPS, call the Inn and ask for the best way to get there), and if you are looking for a little mountain paradise, this is your place. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The cottage is a great place to stay, but only breakfast is served... make sure you pack snacks and...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Lynchburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I had stayed at this bed & breakfast a couple of times over the past few years. I did have a good experience up until I booked this place for my first anniversary with my wife. I had no reason to doubt that everything would be as I had remembered it from my past stay's there. Boy was I ever wrong! When I drove up the driveway it was in such a state of disrepair that you needed a 4 wheel drive just to get up to the house. There was no one to greet us and we arrived there at 3 that afternoon. There was a note on the door of the game room which told us to go to this certain room over the game room. The game room itself was musty smelling and the air hockey game looked as if someone had put their fist through the top. the pool table looked as if someone had taken a hammer and started to chip away around the sides of the table.Our "room" was to be over this musty smelling "game room" which when we went up to look at it, it smelled too! The room also had no TV or any kind of music! Some old looking tub didn't look too good either.Then we went to look at the "pool" which looked as if no one had gone in it for over a year.The "hot tub" had COLD water in it and the jets did not work. The fence around the property looked as if a good breeze would knock it over. No horses were to be seen anywhere. This is a horse farm? The grass around the house had not been mowed in a few weeks.Needless to say I was not going to stay any night here. I left here and will never go back here. In my opinion the owners here let this place get run down and still expect you to pay over 100.00$ a night for this musty smelling run down "farm". My advice: Don't go here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Pete, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

Just got back from another great tip to Reba Farm Inn. As always, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. Ron and Kathleen (the proprietors) were warm and gracious as always. We have had a baby since our last trip to the farm and they were excellent with him. Ron took him on a horse ride and he loved it! We rode twice and as always enjoyed the real horseback riding experience that they offer. This is real riding, not the nose to butt riding in a line that you usually get at most places.

We would recommend Reba to anyone who is looking for a real horse experience and a quiet getaway in one of the most beautiful locations imaginable.

Room Tip: The Spring Cottage is a great treat. The Take Care room is very nice as well.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We were in the area to attend a family reunion in the Bedford and Lynchburg areas. We elected to stay at Reba Farm Inn because of the horses which were very important to the Grandkids{ and their Grandma} I prefer to stay at B&B's but this was above and beyond. Breakfast was so wonderful--poached peaches,local sausage,fresh fruit,pork chops,breakfast burritos YUMMMMM It was all great but the 2 1/2 hr trail ride was the scene stealer. We rode in a torrential downpour for about 20 min. and when we got to the plateau on top of the mountain the sun came out of the clouds and all seemed right with the world. Also learned a lot about horses. Pool is quite clean, hot tub,trampoline. And the nights were quiet. Flowers were beautiful in spite of dry weather. Down the rode is a vineyard which looked fun but we never made it because of time constraints. Lots to do in the area. Check it out.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Mecklenburg County, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

in case you decide to stay, here a few things you should know:

they do not answer the front door despite the buzzer on the front porch (you have to go around back past one of the 5 dogs to enter) (they said everyone uses the back door)

take your own shower soap and shampoo (this is not provided)

the exercise room they advertise has no AC (in case you go in summer)

they have window unit type AC in bedroom so bathroom (different room) may be warm

do NOT use your own GPS directions - we ended up on 4 mile gravel road to get to their house.

on our visit, hot tub was lukewarm

on the positive side: eating breakfast outside was lovely with the cool mountain breeze

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Newport News
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We have just stayed at Reba Farm for our first, but not last time!

The farm is wonderful! Yes, you do pull up into a gravel driveway, but anyone that has been in any of the rural areas of Va. should expect this. Truthfully, it reminded me of stepping back in time going to my Grandma's house on Gwynn's Island and to my nana's house in Mathews. We always left the "state" road and drove down a gravel driveway to get to the main house.

The rooms/cottage are great! We stayed in the Springhouse Cottage up at the top. It was very spacious and comfortable. While we were there we had a heat wave, but the air conditioner kept us cool when we were in the cottage which was mainly at night. THe cottage had a homey feel to it, and we felt at home.

The friendliness of everyone was incredible!! We did do the trail ride one day, and our daughter loved it so much, we let her go the second day by herself. That is how comfortable we were with the people in charge of the ride for that day, we knew we could trust them. They did have interns helping out, but all were very experienced and very nice.

When we first arrived we were greeted by some puppy dogs! They were very friendly and affectionate!!! They weren't bothersome, didn't jump on you, but they sure do love tummy rubs. So make sure to spend some time with them, you won't regret it!

When we found out that some of the horses were rescue horses, we were amazed. That speaks levels about Ron and Kathleen as people! It was nice to know that they care as much about animals as we do. Some of the horses we grew to know during our days there were rescue horses that were separate from the trail horses. They are kept right on the property of the main house in different pastures. One day you might find them up at the top of the pasture, and the next down by the road in that pasture. They were very friendly and affectionate--especially JR! He doesn't mind all the love or having his picture taken! Yes you might smell a manure smell, but it isn't overwhelming. This is a working horse farm remember, which is what also gives it that down home feeling.

The scenery is beautiful! Mountains all around you. The property is very well maintained. You really do feel as if you are at home. Ron made us feel welcome from the minute we talked to him on the phone to inquire about Reba Inn, and was just as friendly when we arrived. We were always made to feel welcome, and by the time we left it felt that we had known Ron all our lives.

Ron and Kathleen are very special people. They care about their animals. The animals aren't treated as "money makers" but as real animals that are completely loved! Their passion shows for the animals, their home, their interns, and their guests! What amazes me is the fact that they ever get to sleep!!! That is how much time they spend with the inn and the horses.

Reba Inn and Farm is now our new summer destination. We're hoping we get to go at least twice, if not three times a year. Our daughter has said forget going to Kings Dominion--she wants to only go to Reba Farm from now on. That says something from a kid!

All the above my wife wrote and I agree 100% +. I did want to put in my 2 cents worth. All of the interns as well as Ron went out of thier way to make sure everyone especially the inexperienced riders & especially the kids were safe and having fun! One particular intern named Josh rode like a stuntman in an old western movie portraying a great Indian Warrior. Taking the high ground, constantly circling the ride and swooping down to check and help with pointers and safety, never taking his eyes off the kids and riding his horse like he was part of the wind. There and gone and there again before you even realized it. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! These people are as gracious, caring, and genuine as they come. Oh, and the food is so good! There is no 5 star restaurant that could even come close. Expect for your all of your senses to be overloaded with the scenery, people, accomodations, horses, food, etc.etc. WOW!!! Thanks to everyone at Reba Farm for the best anniversary - birthday celebration we could not have even dreamed of or expected BUT GOT. YES, I could go on & on!!! AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! AWESOME!!! I'll add that this is a working farm (just like my wife said) and all of these folks work far before sunrise till long after moon rise. The only way anyone could do this is for PURE LOVE for what they do!!! IT SHOWS!!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Washington DC area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

The first time my family and I stayed at Reba Farm was on Thanksgiving 2008. We went on a great trail ride for about 2 1/2 hours, had an excellent family-style Thanksgiving dinner with Ron and Kathleen, enjoyed the hot-tub despite (or because of) the cold weather, spent the night in a lovely cottage, and then awoke to a terrific big breakfast the next morning. The hosts were very down to earth and friendly, and their dogs were very easy to play with or ignore, as you please. (We liked them a lot.) Recognizing that this is a horsefarm, not the Ritz, we thought it was fabulous.

Perhaps the best feature was the horseride itself. They aren't a lot of places in VA, W. VA, or southern PA anymore that even offer trailrides. We have been to several different ones in the past several years, but most do not compare to Reba. Most other places take you on a rigidly controlled horse walk (not really a 'ride') - everyone stays in a straight line the whole time, at a walk, on a single trail. Fine if you've never done any riding, but kind of boring after you've done it once or twice.

Reba offers a much better experience. The farm itself includes a few hundred acres of gorgeous land (pastures, hills, streams, woods, and mountains included), and you get to see a lot of it on the ride. Ron and Kathleen own about 40 or so beautiful horses. Ron will control the ride (and pick your mounts) according to the experience and taste of the group members, which is really great. And if you have some riders who want to trot, or cantor, or even gallop, he will make sure you get that opportunity with advanced warning, in a controlled manner, at appropriate places along the journey. We've never found another place that provides this kind of experience and freedom for those who want it - it's really laudable.

My kids liked the experience so much they begged my wife and I to return as "interns" at the farm in the summer of 2009, with a couple of their friends. One of my daughters is a pretty good rider who had been to horse camps during a couple of prior summers. My other daughter was much less comfortable and wanted to overcome her reservations and get more comfortable riding. Both my kids and their friends had a great time. They all liked Ron and Kathleen a lot, enjoyed all the fun stuff to do at the farm (e.g. pool, trampoline, game room, lots of riding, etc.), and said the food was great. Now they want to do it again this summer - one is pleading for permission to stay for a month!

Reba Farm is truly a treasure. As some other reviewers have said, it's probably not for everyone - if you want upscale pampering, there are better alternatives. But if you want to spend some time in the country relaxing at a great horsefarm, you'll have a very hard time finding something better on the east coast. Oh, one final thought - isn't it great that Ron and Kathleen open their hearts to take care of abandoned or abused animals? I don't understand the criticism from one reviewer about that.

Thanks Kathleen and Ron - best wishes for continued success!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Reba Farm Inn? Share your experiences!