“Slow Service, Average Food, Great View” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 52 Restaurants in Bedford
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: As old as the hills . . . The Peaks of Otter have drawn settlers and travelers to the region for more than 8,000 years. The community whose vestiges remain to be explored today had its beginning in 1766 when Thomas Wood arrived from Pennsylvania.The wife of one of Wood’s descendants would open her home as the area’s first lodging for travelers in 1834. By the late 1800s, Peaks of Otter would be home to some 20 families, a school, a church, and a resort hotel. In the mid 1900s, the location was selected for special attention as the National Parks Service developed recreation and service areas along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Abbott Lake was constructed and the Peaks of Otter Lodge opened in 1964.Today, we invite you to be part of the future of this storied natural and cultural destination as it continues to attract visitors and travelers in the 21st century.
Reston, Virginia
“Slow Service, Average Food, Great View”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I had breakfast on a Saturday morning. It took ten minutes from the time I was seated until a waiter asked if I wanted something to drink. Another five to get the coffee I asked for. And it wasn't busy! I had to ask for a menu. I passed on the buffet because it looked like pretty standard fare and I didn't find the presentation particularly appealing. Instead, I ordered an omelet, home fries, and toast. The omelet was pretty good, the potatoes okay, and I ended up eating the toast dry as it seemed that by the time a waiter came by so I could ask for butter or jelly, it would be stale. All in all, a very disappointing dining experience... but the view was great!

Visited October 2013
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, I sincerely apologize for your experience. I will be looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. Again, thank you for your comments.

Disputanta, Virginia, United States
“Overpriced, abysmal and disorganized service, double charged gratuities”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My party of 9 extremely laid back individuals thought it would be a wonderful idea to visit the lodge and have lunch there. As we knew it was peak weekend, we expected to wait for a while, but we were greeted with anything but pleasantries, and there were many people waiting ahead of us. After an hour, and after watching parties continue to be seated, we finally decided to ask why we had not yet been seated. At this point, we were assured that they were preparing tables for our party. A few moments later, we were finally seated.

Once we got in, we looked around to find the seating area was not even completely filled, and again, wondered why we were left to sit and wait for so long.

Once the waitress came to our table, she informed us that it was "quicker" to go with the buffet, and that she would be "right back" to take our drink orders. At that time, there were four of the nine that decided they wanted to look at the menu, as the buffet did not appeal to them. When the waitress came back, she brought 3 menus.

When we got ready to order, she asked if we wanted everything together, and we said no, that the tickets would be separate. At that point, she said it would be easier for HER if she put it all on one ticket and we could divide it later.

Those of us who chose the buffet were disappointed - sandwich fixings, bread and salad bar, soup and dessert bars were not tended well AT ALL. Lettuce pan was empty, and a server glanced at the bar and didn't even notice until the 2nd look that it was empty. Soup tureen was close to empty, utensils for picking up cheese slices weren't easy to use, unless you wanted half a pound of cheese.

The chicken was greasy, the chopped greens were unseasoned, and there were no condiments within reach.

While the Five of us who chose the buffet over ordering from the menu were finished with our meal, the 4 that ordered off the menu were not served until everyone else was done.

When our drink orders were taken at the beginning, (simple orders, tea, coffee, water), when it was FINALLY delivered after 7 or 8 minutes of waiting, the coffee was terrible, tasted burned and lukewarm, and there wasn't enough left in the carafe for the two of us who chose to drink coffee. I asked for water from the beginning, and after watching the hostess and waitress and OTHER wait staff pass our table countless times, finally asked AGAIN for the glass of water. Even asking the hostess as she passed by once if she could get me a refill of water - instead of doing so, she told someone behind me who took another 4 or 5 minutes to bring another glass.

To top it all off, when the bill came, it was on one ticket, and when we proceeded to take everything to the register, were told by our waitress that SHE was the cashier, as there wasn't a cashier. Then, she proceeded to have to break the bills down into the 5 bills we required. The coup de gras was the 18% gratuity that was added to our bills PER PERSON, not PER amount of bill. THIS WAS AWFUL!!!

Y'all need to get yourselves organized or hire someone from Restaurant Impossible to get you straight.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
I apologize for the experience you had while visiting our restaurant. I will be personally looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. Could you please contact the lodge directly to discuss your bill being overcharged so that we can get that corrected. Please ask for myself or Dana Martin. Again, I apologize for your experience.

Waynesboro, Virginia
“What happened??”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

For many years my husband and I have been traveling the Parkway in the fall to look at the leaves, and have lunch at the Peaks of Otter Restaurant. We have always enjoyed the beautiful view from the restaurant windows and delicious, home-style food. Not today! This is the first time we have been there since new management, and food was not very tasty. The tomatoes for the salad were mushy and there were almost no vegetables on the buffet. The meat was good as was the one dessert, blackberry cobbler. Overall, quality of food was not what one would expect for a $13.95 per person buffet lunch.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Robert P, General Manager at Peaks of Otter Lodge Restaurant, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience here at Peaks of Otter. I will be personally looking into your concerns and addressing them with my team. We never like to hear that a guest was unhappy with any part of their visit. Again, thank you for giving us your feedback.

Apex, North Carolina
“Beautiful scenery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Simple basic hotel. Nothing elaborate but clean and well cared for. Location is its best feature as it is right on the parkway on a lake. Very family oriented hotel and restaurant. The food was good and the staff attentive. We will return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to the Peaks of Otter. The natural scenary is definitely one of a kind. Please check back to see the updates and modifications we make to the lodge and the restaurant over the next year. Thank you for your feedback!

MIAMI
“good dinner buffet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We enjoyed the $16.95 complete dinner buffet. Options also include $9.95 cold cut and salad bar buffet or ordering off the menu. Menu had good variety of American foods. Buffet included salad bar, 2 soups, 2 entrees (fried shrimp and bbq beef), macaroni, spinach, biscuits, garbanzo beans, corn, etc, cookies and beverage. This is the only restaurant around, so enjoy !
Hint: Window tables go first, so get there early.

Visited October 2013
We are glad to hear you enjoyed our dinner buffet. If your travels bring you back to this area we would love for you to try our Friday Night Seafood and Prime Rib Buffet. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback!