“Fun family experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 11 Attractions in Wilmington
Type: Farms, Ranch & Farm
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Since 1980 Adams Farm has been offering afternoon and evening traditional Vermont sleigh rides pulled by Belgian draft horses, through the maple sugar grove, up along the ridge of their mountain, to an old log cabin for a warm up by the wood stoves before coming back down the mountain. At the cabin, visitors warm up by the fire and enjoy a cup of hot chocolate and some tunes from the player piano. Enjoy a game of checkers while you're there.Currently in the summer months the Adams Farm offers; scenic tractor pulled wagon rides around the property, Rainbow Trout fishing in our privately stocked pond, and horse-drawn wagon rides.
New York City
3 attraction reviews
“Fun family experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

We have been to Adams Farm a few times, previously as a couple and this most recent time (over Memorial Day 2009) with our 20 month old daughter. It's a neat experience either way, but I agree with the reviewer who said it's really more for families with kids, not couples. As a couple we did one of the Halloween hay rides with ghost stories and treats--this was fun but it was really for kids. There was nothing scary about it (we were hoping for a few spooks as we rode through the woods) and the stories were for kids with puppets too. But we still enjoyed it. This last time we visited the petting barn with our toddler. She LOVED it--she got to pet ducks, goats, a llama, a calf, sheep, a border collie, a few barn cats and kittens, and some bunnies. They have a HUGE pig there, which you never pet but just toss food at. There were also chickens and turkeys. The animals were wonderful with the kids; none seemed scared of the little hands or screams of enthusiasm. The staff was wonderful and very patient. We were able to bottle feed a few ravenous goats and hold some very cute kittens. It was a lot of fun for all of us. The only downside (slight) was lack of a restroom. They may have one on the premises but we couldn't find it. They provide a hand wipe for using after you finish in the barn, but we felt pretty grimy and would've liked to wash our hands in a proper sink. It's a bit pricey--adults are $6.95 apiece and it's free for kids under 2 years old. I'm not sure how much the older kids cost, but I think it's $4.95. The feed baskets for the animals are $5, but they give you a lot of food plus a sheet that explains what each animal eats. Overall, it was a great way to spend the afternoon and our daughter loved it!

NewYork, New York
“Good for kids - but not worth the price”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

When I called to book a reservation the farm told me that this was a good activity for couples. That was not true. My boyfriend and I were the only people there without children.

I think the hayride would be cute for families but beware - the promise of homeade fudge smores on the fliers is instead replaced with watery cider and gross donuts.

The other issue that prompted this review was the really rude staff working the store in the farm. I will never go back to the Adams Family Farm.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great for Kids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2004

We visited Adams Family Farm in Wilmington in March so it was covered with snow and was beautifully picturesque. My husband and I enjoyed photographing the beautiful Vermont scenery. There wasn't quite enough snow for sleigh rides, so if you can make it earlier in the year I would think that would be a great experience. We did pay admission to go to the indoor barn and feed the animals which our two-year-old loved doing. The animals are in pens but you can pet them and feed them all kinds of carrots, apples, corn, etc. We have some really cute pictures of that. The people at the farm were really friendly and helpful.