“Crisp clean linens in a historic unique Inn!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Coolidge

You added Hotel Coolidge to your Saves list
Hotel Coolidge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 S. Main Street, White River Junction, Hartford, VT 05001   |
Northampton, Massachusetts
“Crisp clean linens in a historic unique Inn!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

My room last night reminded me of my grandmother's house when I was a kid. My bed was so comfortable and the linens had that crisp old fashioned feel to them which made sleeping here great. It was so hot out but my a/c was great and the bathroom was really clean.Remember- this is a very old hotel with an interesting history- do not expect this to feel anything like the Marriot or Holiday Inn or any other chain hotel- but this is why I like it.

The only recommendation I have for improving a guests stay here is if you offer breakfast make it bigger and large enough to accommodate the people here. This is the first time breakfast was offered here during one of my stays and it was too small with not enough food for people. I think this is a new thing offered here and tweaking it a bit more will make the breakfasts here really nice. Adding muffins- maybe from that great breakfast place over by Mcdonalds that makes their own bread? That would really be nice here and would support another local business.

I wish I could tell the owners my idea which is to offer coffee , tea, and maybe even lemonade- in the afternoon out in the lobby. I know this is a bit more work for the staff but having this sort of thing emphasizes what is really special about this inn. Putting out chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon would really be fun for the guests and something for kids to look forward to. I have seen this done at some boutique hotels in NYC and liked it a lot
I love the art exhibits they have from local artists in the small gallery in the back. I only suggest they leave the lights on there all day long. This is particularly important because there are so many artists who stay here and this small gesture will show respect to the artist and an appreciation for art here at the inn. I know this may seem like a no brainer but someone kept the lights off in the daytime and the photographs there are really nice and something that enhances the feel of this place! Artsy, charming, fun and friendly.

The Center for Cartoon Studies across the street and around this area really fills the hotel with a lot of nice people who love art. You will like this atmosphere if you come here.

If the staff at the hotel read this - thank you for your superior service. I know I will be back to visit and if my daughter does not come back for another workshop I will probably just come here on my own again. Iove this area and really love this hotel. It is clean, comfortable, with tons of charm!

The staff really do make this hotel one of my top favorites!

Room Tip: I would always pick a normal room over the hostel rooms. I really want air conditioning and a privat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel Coolidge is an old hotel and that is a good thing. It is very quaint. Don't expect fancy or lots of amenities but do appreciate being in a good old hotel. The staff is very nice and the rooms are clean and comfortable. The location is great - you can get to Hanover NH or lots of great towns in Vermont very quickly and easily.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bedford Hills, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Coolidge for the second year in a row, and it was great again this year.
The rooms are clean and comfortable. We were especially grateful for the air conditioning during a crazy heat wave and for the mini refrigerator in our room. There were 3 generations of travelers: my husband and me, our daughter, and my mom. We had a suite with 2 rooms joined by a bathroom, and our room had a half bath as well. It was perfect for us! The hallways and common areas are dated, but it is a historic hotel! The hotel is within walking distance of a few great restaurants and within driving distance to many great sights. We will definitely stay here next time we are in the area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
margate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

I didn't plan to stay here and basically was a walk in. The hotel is old and it shows. However the room was clean and I slept great. The reception was friendly so I can't complain. The amenities are old and the floor slanted but why should I care?

• Stayed July 2013
Queensbury, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The place is old, but clean.What a unique building ! Walking the halls, you feel the history and feel part of it. We came for a concert at the Tupelo, and whe another comes, I would definitely stay at this charming place. The staff could not have been nicer! Thanks, Drew!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The rooms are decent if you just need a place to crash, but don't expect too much else. Bathroom/shower was not very clean at all... looked like someone just used some glue and duct tape to put it together. I also visited in July, and I've never been hotter in my life in a room. There was a window, but it faced another building and there was zero air flow. I woke up several times feeling like I was suffocating. If you're in this area definitely stay in a hotel unless the weather is perfect.

Room Tip: Request one with a fan if coming in the summer, if there isn't one, don't bother staying her...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
dcbwrj, General Manager at Hotel Coolidge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
It appears that this person stayed in our Hostel section which is licensed under Hostelling International but is not a part of the Hotel Coolidge as reviewed by Trip Advisor. The Hostel rooms have no air conditioning whereas all our hotel rooms do. The hot weather we have been suffering has made these rooms uncomfortable on occasions. However we have box fans available and we are always willing to work with guests to get them as comfortable as possible.
The common bathrooms are cleaned and kept in service by a dedicated housekeeping and maintenance staff so I do not understand the critique on them. At present we are in the process of completing a fully accessible ADA unisex bath/shower room and it will be very nice.
In summary I do not think it accurate to characterize our hotel on the basis of a hot night in our Hostel section. That section is a budget option in which many, many people enjoy a welcomed sense of economy.
David Briggs - Innkeeper since 1985
Nottingham, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Last minute stop in walkable town. Room was old and bathroom door stuck and toilet
seat kept falling off. People were very nice and gave good advice for Sugarbush Farm
trip for great cheese and syrup. Train did not bother our sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Coolidge? Share your experiences!