“Standard Quality, staff is a bit depressing though.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Comfort Inn

You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Comfort Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   56 Ralph Lehman Dr., White River Junction, Hartford, VT 05001   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Stowe, Vermont
“Standard Quality, staff is a bit depressing though.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

The rooms were clean, the breakfast was good. Exactly what you would expect from your Comfort Inn chain.

Unfortunately, the staff looked miserable and were never smiling. Made for a kind of depressing way to return to your room for the weekend. We asked to use the breakfast room to eat our subway sandwiches one afternoon, so we would not have to eat them on the beds and they grudgingly said yes, but made their discontentment known about this.

Room Tip: Try not to be on the first floor near the pool. Lots of screaming children in the hall ways.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bedford, New Hampshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

We frequent the White River Junction area quite regularly and usually stay at the Hampton Inn or the Fairfield Inn. Unfortunately, all of the other hotels (for miles in each direction) were completely booked, so we ended up staying at the Comfort Inn. It was anything but comfortable.

The room was "non-smoking" but smelled of smoke. The walls are paper thin and the noise travels quite a bit. We had asked for the "quietest are of the hotel" and were placed on the end toward the access road (aka truck road). So, not only did we hear the footsteps of those above, the noise from the neighboring rooms (TV, toilets flushing / seats slamming, conversations, etc.), we also had the luxury of the diesel trucks shifting gears and warming up their vehicles.

We should have known that there was going to be an issue when we got to the room, opened the door, smelled the cigarette smoke and were unable to turn on the lights.

The bed was terrible and simply felt like trying to sleep in a bowl. The entire hotel seems very 60s esque.

After no sleep, we checked out at 5:00 AM and were lucky enough to get a room from a cancellation at the Holiday Inn Express.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these White River Junction hotels

Fitchburg, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

Decided to stay at this hotel while in WRJ because it was a Comfort Inn and right off the highway. Big mistake. Very expensive for what you got.
We didn't notice right away because it was very late and we went right to sleep. When we arrived in the room, it was 60 degrees - raised the thermostat - went to bed - then got up the next morning and it was still 60 degrees. Should have complained, but shame on us, we didn't. Breakfast was edible, but that's about all I can say about it. Close to $100 for the night, and we found out later that some other people who went to the same show we did stayed at the Super 8 and had a much better room and breakfast at half the price.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
foxboro
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

Had to use motel overnite several times was visiting family at VA hospital.They discount rooms for that.Rooms are dirty,Checking in girl at desk wasnt there had to call from our phone for someone to come out of back room,Dog friendly can use any room I was told,Wonder how many rooms animals have been in and your bedspread does not get washed every customer,Breakfast was just ok.Had to change room once because bathroom smell of urine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Wood Hole, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2011

Comfort Inn was a little less expensive than the local competition, just under $100 with my AAA card. First impressions were OK. Lobby was fine, check-in friendly and easy. Room was fine on the face of it, clean roomy, furnished just fine. The elevator was the first turn-off -- had a noisy fan, I think, quite a loud disturbing whine. My biggest complaint was that the walls in the room seemed paper thin. I could hear every little noise from the guy next door -- sounded like he was in the room with me. Fortunately I was getting up early, because there was enough noise that I wouldn't have been able to sleep through it as I was getting dressed and ready to go between 6 and 6:30.

On the positive side, wifi worked well, free breakfast predictably mediocre but started at 6:30 which was helpful.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Freeport, Maine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

not up to comfort inn standards, not even close. Personnel were unfriendly and the hotel seemed "tired".

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Natick, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

My beau and I stayed at the Comfort Inn in White River Junction on the night of October 30, 2011. It was a last minute decision to turn a day trip planned for the 31st into an overnight. We have visited this area many times in the past and stayed in this hotel several times in the past without complaint. We called to check availability a few hours in advance and were told there would be no problem getting a room there for the night and that our dog would be welcome. When we travel at the last minute and we stay at the comfort inns we don't expect 4 star treatment, but we expect something better then what we got. While checking in (we did not make a reservation) we negotiated a lower room rate. The hotel had a lot of open rooms and we were hopping to save a few dollars. No problem. We were told we would be charged $10 below the AAA rate of $89. Great! We asked for a non-smoking room. No problem. The room we were given did not smell of smoke but there were several cigarette burns in the carpet. The room was not the worst I've stayed in, but everything felt a bit worn out and old. There was only a shower curtain, with no shower liner so after my beau took a shower, the curtain was soaked and gross. It was an indication that they are looking for ways to cut corners. Also, it is a pretty gross if it is not washed in between every guest. The toilet, itself looked like it came out of an elementary school bathroom. I'm 6' tall and when I sat down, it felt like I was sitting on the floor. Never experienced that in other hotels before. The bathroom door was a cheap and the wood was peeling off it on the corners. The pillows on the bed were super thin and flimsy and there weren't enough of them to stack up to feel like even one good pillow. In the middle of the night or super early in the morning there were doors slamming in the hall right next to the room and I could hear people chatting. One of the rooms next to ours was a janitors/cleaning closet. Although I'm not 100% positive, I am fairly certain it was hotel staff making the noise as the guest room on the other side was completely silent all night so I think it was empty.

The worst part of this experience was at the check out. While checking out, the person at the front desk would not honor the negotiated rate that the person on the night before promised. I made the mistake of not closely looking at the slip I signed when I checked in, which listed the AAA rate. Shame on me for that. I could deal with paying the extra $10, but instead of handling it professionally, the guy at the front desk was rude and insisted that the hotel "never negotiates lower rates" and all but called my beau a liar. This could have been handled so much better by the hotel staff. We have stayed here several times and never been thrilled with the place but have been very content with it. We have referred friends and family to stay there. We will not be referring any business to them in the future and we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Read the form you sign at check in carefully to make sure the rate quoted you is the rate they are r...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!