“Great Views, Otherwise Unremarkable” 3 of 5 stars

You added Windham Hill Inn to your Saves list
Windham Hill Inn
311 Lawrence Drive, West Townshend, VT 05359   |
Baltimore
“Great Views, Otherwise Unremarkable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

The views really are amazing and the inn is situated close to some amazing national parks. Be warned if you go in the summer, the mosquitoes are fierce! Bring gallons of repellent.

We stayed in the main house and it was pretty unremarkable. The room was nice and clean but pretty no frills. I've stayed in nicer rooms and spent less. The room did have a private balcony which was a nice touch but aforementioned mosquitoes made enjoying it difficult. Also, although the room was on the 2nd floor, you could hear every sound in the house so we were woken up early every morning as the staff made breakfast.

We made our reservations months in advance and purchased a dinner in their supposedly critically acclaimed dining room. We were staying mid-week and they were NOT that busy. We told them when we made our reservation that we wanted vegan meals and they said this would be no problem. When we got there, our dinner consisted of grilled vegetables with olive oil and salt and pepper. Not the caliber of meal we had in mind for the money we spent. For breakfast they offered us oatmeal and fruit.

Although the website says they have dial up access for internet, it's basically useless. The modem is a 19k connection. Don't even bother trying. It will take 20 minutes to load one web page.

During our stay in VT we also stayed at Lilac Inn. Their grounds are beautiful, their rooms are spectacular and they made us vegan french toast and vegan pancakes! If you are looking for a romantic stay in VT consider Lilac Inn instead. They are much more capable of accommodating special food requests. They also have high speed wireless internet, cable in every room and are also close to lots of state parks.

We also ate dinner at Inn at Weathersfield. Make this place #1 on your dining to-do list in VT. The chef there is beyond amazing. He cooked for both myself, my husband and our non-vegetarian families, and everyone raved about the food. They also have very romantic outdoor seating with a firepit. I can't stress this enough, have dinner at this place!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights for our honeymoon, in one of the fancy, third-floor rooms in the "barn." This was the best place I have ever stayed in my life. Grounds were immaculate: gorgeous acres of rolling hills and flower-filled gardens and secluded paths. The room was absolutely spotless, beautiful and luxurious. We had a step-down bathroom with shower & tub and huge windows. We drank wine in front of the fireplace. We sat on the deck and gazed out at the hills (there was a small wall separating us from our neighbors on their deck -- that is my ONLY complaint -- make them private!). We soaked in the tub. We swam in the pool. We played tennis with their rackets. We hiked. We ate in the restaurant. We got in-room massage. They somehow manage to sneak into your room when you're at breakfast and clean it up and leave you goodies on your pillow. There are yummy pastries and cookies put out every afternoon. Staff was wonderful. I will cherish my memories of this place the rest of my life.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2009

My girlfriend and I just returned from a weekend at the Windham Hill Inn and we could not be happier with our experience there. The trip was planned as a weekend getaway from hectic NYC and it was exactly that. The rural Vermont landscape surrounding the Inn is beautiful and the views from the rooms are spectacular. Sunday morning I was actually awaken by the sound of wild turkeys outside my window. Where else can a city slicker experience that? Snow shoes are provided by the Inn and offer a great way to explore the 160 acre grounds.
The wonderful staff at the Inn only add to the experience. Every time we would come back to the inn we would be greeted at the door by name. Everyone there seemed genuinely happy to be there and to help. On the first night I managed to put my car into a ditch and the innkeeper went above and beyond in helping me to get my car out.
I highly recommend this Inn. I hope to return in the fall for the foliage.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2009

My fiance and I stayed in the Jesse Lawrence room last October. It was simply magical. Everything from the secluded location in the forested hills, to the immaculately kept grounds and gardens, the charming room with an enormous bathtub and fireplace , friendly staff to the intimate downstairs restaurant where the food is DIVINE. We have traveled extensively all over New England, and have never come across anything close to Windham Hill Inn. An incredible hidden gem, I cannot compliment it enough! If its in your budget, definitely book a room in the White Barn -- it's a lovely combination of country Vermont charm, elegance, and modern comfort. After you have a long bubble bath, champagne, and the most relaxing sleep of your life, complete the stay with a truly gourmet breakfast in their restaurant, where large windows overlook a garden and pond. Everything was terribly romantic, and now we're saving to go back for holidays and other special occasions.

• Liked — Amazing gourmet dinner in the B&B restaurant
  • Disliked — No wireless internet access in rooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the WHI for 3 nights before New Year's Eve. We had a wonderful experience with some minor complaints. We chose to stay in the Forget-Me-Not room which is beautifully warm in tone and atmosphere...and literally! The gas fireplace is a romantic accessory, if not a practical one. Keep the windows cracked otherwise you'll be sweltering in no time. Our experience began by being greeted by one of the super-friendly innkeepers, Katia, at our car when we arrived after 9pm. She even helped take our bags up to our room (I was just happy someone was around to let us in at that hour in sleepy VT!). The 2-person tub in the room is a major plus as well.

Our complaints are restricted to our dining experiences. We made a reservation for dinner our first night there prior to arrival. The dining room is tastefully and understatedly appointed and service was generally friendly but not overly so (it's also quite intimate where we felt we had to whisper so that our conversation wasn't overheard by the entire room). I wanted to order the one vegetarian entree on the menu (a delicious-sounding gnocci) and was asked if I had reserved it ahead of time and if I was "the vegetarian who called." This was completely surprising to me, having to RESERVE an entree at a fine dining establishment? I didn't recall if I had mentioned my vegetarianism when I made the reservation but I advise that if you have any dietary restrictions that you mention it when you call. I was told that they gave the last portion to a previous veggie, which was disapointing however the ravioli the chef "threw together" for me was quite satisfying. Our second night there we left open to play by ear where we'd have dinner not knowing where our day would take us. After a late apres-ski lunch at Stratton Mtn my hubby was hungry around 9:30 so asked one of the innkeepers if it was possible to have some menu items in our room. They gracefully allowed this, which also surprised me, pleasantly, as the last seating for dinner is at 8:30. We decided to let them know that we'd like to have dinner there on our last night and specifically mentioned several times that I was vegetarian and wanted to "reserve" the veggie entree. The innkeeper actually seemed surprised at my request and said it should not be a problem. Here's how our last night's dinner went: our "amuse bouche" was a piece of grilled duck. When I politely offered my portion to my husband and then explained to the perplexed waitress that I don't eat meat, she rudely took it away in a huff, saying "that wasn't noted" and passed our table at least 5 more times without a word and eventually brought me a vegetarian option. Obviously I was uncomfortable from then on, ESPECIALLY since we had made it a point to tell her when we first sat down (as when we made our ressie) that I wanted the veggie entree. For the first course, my hubby ordered the potato leek bacon soup he had enjoyed so thoroughly our first night there and found that it was missing any hint of bacon and therefore flavor, describing the soup as a bowl of cream. When mentioning this to our waitress, he received a below-par response of "that's just how they make it" and was eventually offered another option. He went with the prawns, which he had also enjoyed the previous night. Unfortunately when they arrived at our table, the insides were completely raw, rendering them inedible. At this point we were truly confused with what was happening in the kitchen and called over Dan, one of the innkeepers (who was also the wine sommelier--he recommended a great bottle!). We explained everything that had happened, pointing out that our server appeared none-too-pleased with us. He responded with service expected at a high end restaurant and inn, apologizing (and not making us feel like it was our fault!) and later bringing my husband a scallop course "prepared personally by the chef", on the house, which was delicious. We moved on to our salad course without incident and I enjoyed my cripsy eggplant appetizer (as I had our first night) and veggie gnocci entree but, ironically, not as much as I had the ravioli our first night.

Breakfasts were satisfying and filled us for a few hours so that we could enjoy the wonderful outdoor activities that winter in VT offers. Take advantage of the snowshoes that the inn keeps in their "ski shop" for guests to borrow to explore their 160 acres and beyond! We enjoyed skiing at Stratton for 2 days and waking up to snow falling was the icing on our winter wonderland retreat!

We would definitely return to Windham Hill (during winter-time when it seems most cozy but summer could be great too--lots of hiking!) and recommend to our friends.

• Liked — inn staff very accomodating, privacy respected, rooms immaculately clean, beautiful tranquil location not far from points of interest
  • Disliked — made to feel uncomfortable by one dinner server for a dietary restriction
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Bangor, ME
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

My wife and I traveled to Windham Hill for our honeymoon in August of 2008. Simply put Windham Hill is AMAZING and I highly recommend it for anyone looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Impeccable service was demonstrated the first day we arrived when we were greeted with much warmth and hospitality by the inn manager Katia. In a conversation about our recent wedding Katia found out that our wedding announcement would be published in tomorrow’s New York Times. The next day we had a complimentary copy of the New York Times Sunday edition given to us during breakfast, without us even asking!
During our five nights at Windham Hill we stayed in the General Fletcher room, William Lawrence Room, and the Meadow Look room. All rooms were amazing with much detail paid to cleanliness and small personal touches such as fresh fruit on arrival and free bottled water. The majority of our time was spent in William’s Room which had a gas stove and two person Jacuzzi, AWSOME! We figured that William’s Room was the best room for the price. Overall Amazing trip! We have already booked our one year anniversary there!

• Liked — Peace/Value/Hospitality
  • Disliked — nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chatham, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2008

My wife and I recently stayed at the WIndham Hill Inn for a quick getaway. We stayed in the Forget Me Not room and had a wonderful experience. From the moment we arrived, we were greated with a warm welcome. We were shown around the inn and taken to our room. It has a beautiful King bed, great soaking tub, and relaxing fireplace. We had dinner there and really enjoyed the meal. We spent most of the time at the inn, so I can't comment on the town, but driving in it looked like a quaint New England area. We will definately be back.

• Liked — Peacefullness
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Windham Hill Inn? Share your experiences!