“Dirty and run-down” 1 of 5 stars

6 Abroad Rd, Route 100 N, West Dover, PO Box #335, Dover, VT 05356   |
Bronson, MI
“Dirty and run-down”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2009

We stayed at Austrian Haus for one night during a ski trip. I could hardly stand being in that room for even that long! It smelled musty and dirty. The floor had obviously not been vacuumed in a long time. The bathroom floor was also gross, the shower curtain had mold on it, and there was a dirty towel on the bathroom door. Beyond hygiene issues... the walls are very thin, we could hear EVERYTHING in surrounding rooms all night long. The shower head was very low, and my 5'11" tall fiance's head brushed the top of the shower. We skipped the continental breakfast, no way would I eat something prepared here. Could not wait to check out and leave!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
First let me say that we here at the Austrian Haus try our best to help our customers with any and all questions and complaints. But first they have to come and tell us there is a problem that needs correcting. This person never came and told me of any problems with anything, she in fact paid me in full with no complaints on the day of departure. Had I known there was a problem I might have been able to help her. I have been here for 16 years now, and have many repeat customers who come here because of our place and hospitality. I try to be fair to all my customers. I'm not saying we don't make mistakes -- we do sometimes on busy time periods have things that go wrong-- but I never take it out on the guest-- IF I am told about it-- I will try to rectify the situation at that time. That is how I have been able to stay here with my family for this long. It is do to the strong return rate of repeat customers.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2007

For the price at end of season in Mount Snow the hotel was satisfactory. I had no major complaints and it was cheap.

The room was a little small, and quite drafty with the heaters not being turned on until I asked. But nobody else was staying there because it was end of season and so the owners Ketan & Sheetal Kinkhabwalas were both eager to please and made my stay as nice as it could have been in the circumstances.

The sauna and swimming pool were both nice extras as I had it all to myself! WiFi and a more substantial breakfast would not have been missed though.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Unambitious rooms
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2009
We now have WIFI in the common area of the lodge.
Kingston, RI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2007

End-of -year, Spring skiing run. They tried to give us an attic room that smelled of roofing materials. Smoke detectors didn't respond to test-button. We phoned around for better accommodations, and found them at the Grand Summit Hotel for an extra $35/night. A real no-brainer.

FTS... 'Alan

• Disliked — over priced; accommodations strictly for the infantry
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2008
1st I would like to say, the room in question the 1 with 3 dbls that has the attic dormers is a room that many families have stayed in over the 15 years I have been here and have loved staying in. There are some who don't like it, that when I have other alternatives I offer it to them as I did with this family, who for some reason had something wrong right from the start. I offered them another room with 3 dbls they didn't want it, I offered them a room with 2 dbls with a cot they didn't want it so I refunded them 100% of their money without question and they still have a problem without actually staying here for more than 20 minutes. What more can I do.
Brookline, MA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I stayed one night at the Austrian Haus last weekend. We were very disappointed with the quality of the accomodations. The room was exceedingly run down - there was unpainted wall space where a headboard used to be, areas of the bathroom floor where the tiles had pulled away from the wall, and dingy furnishings. In addition, the room was drafty and the outside walks that you had to take to and from breakfast were icy. Breakfast was acceptable, consisting of self-service toast your-own Friehoffer's English muffins/bagels/cereals.

For the price, we expected much more. Try the Nordic Hills Lodge (we stayed there last month) as a nearby, similarly priced alternative.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Poor quality
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
ahaus, owner at Austrian Haus Lodge, responded to this review, March 8, 2008
I would like to say I am sorry that they had a problem with the rooms condition. What they didn't say is that I have been updating the lodge each year that I have been here. The room they were in had new carpeting and new mattresses. The wall not being painted was because we had reworked the room set up and had not as yet painted it. Also since then I have replaced 6 more bathroom floors as time and money have come. I strive to maintain and fix up the building each year as money comes available. As many of my return guests will tell you over the course of my 15 years here.

Been to Austrian Haus Lodge? Share your experiences!