“Former Deacon's Den a hit” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Bar, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Late Night
Morris Plains, New Jersey
“Former Deacon's Den a hit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family has been traveling to the Mt Snow area of southern Vermont for many years. Fennessey's Restaurant on Rt. 100 was our favorite, and the former Deacon's Den was its sister restaurant, attached but with separate entrances. Deacon's was a great apre ski spot.

So we traveled to West Dover, VT for the Fourth of July and had dinner at The Last Chair. They have a large deck with outdoor dining and, on this evening, live entertainment. There is also a good amount of indoor seating but the weather was fine so most people wanted outside.

We arrived at about 6:45 and already the restaurant was full so we were put on the waiting list, estimated at 45 minutes or so. We said either inside or outside would be OK. I think we were seated sooner than the estimate. The restaurant does not take reservations.

We all enjoyed the large nachos (with chili) as an appetizer.

My wife had the fish and chips that she said was the best she has ever had. I had the beef Much Taco which included tender and flavorful chucks of filet mignon with all of the fixins for me to make fours good size tacos. Others had a burger, the shrimp with lime or chicken. All of these meals were very good.

The waitress did a great job despite being very, very busy.

We can't wait to head back to The Last Chair on our next visit to southern Vermont.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend traveled from Boston to VT and this is the place we found when we arrived in West dover to have dinner. The fish was delicious as was the beer!

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Berwyn, Pennsylvania
“2 thumbs up”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Great food, great beer, our favorite place to eat dinner at Mt Snow! Little bit of a wait but well worth it

Visited March 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
“PLEASE READ. OWNER IS A BULLY.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

6 adults. Ages 35-37 Two 3 year olds. The manager would not serve us alcohol because one of our drivers licsences expired 6 DAYS PRIOR. The waitress advised us to order at bar, because they wont realize. Bartender served a beer. Keep in mind , we are 35 year olds , not 16 year olds sneaking alcohol. The manager spotted us, the criminals drinking a bud light. She charged us as if she was taking out YEARS of aggression. Then comes the napoleon-esc owner. He was so enraged, was screaming profanities in a restaurant of children, and 12-15"s from our daughters. Middle of dining room. Causing a scene like hes a circus clown. This pipsqeak of a man was a BULLY. He threatened us with jail. JAIL. Please keep in mind , the driver lic expired 6 days ago. He was attempting to push us with his chest. The mans breath was so rotten, he had no business being in a kitchen. Like a bacterial breeding ground. That is besides the point. It is at the discretion of the restaurant if they should serve customers with expired forms of identification. We were thinking of renting a home in Mt Snow for next season. From this incident alone , we are going to be looking elsewhere. There are far better restaurants in area. Words do not describe this story. The man should be embarrassed of himself.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
vtlife86, Owner at The Last Chair Bar & Grill, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
After I read this review, which by the way we knew was coming, I actually waited a day to respond. I was so infuriated with the lies that I wanted to fire back immediately but realized nothing good would come of it. What is really troubling is that when people don't get their way they kick and scream and then lie like a three year old as they lash out. The reason we did not serve them alcohol (not that an establishment needs one) is that the members in their party had already been drinking elsewhere. One of them had no identification at all and another had an expired license for well over three weeks. By law in Vermont we are not allowed to serve, no matter the age if a persons ID is expired. We also felt that with kids in their party we did not want to be responsible if something happened once they left. The waitress explained very professionally that she could not serve them. They did not like being told no as most children don't so they demanded to speak with a manager. My manager came right over and again explained the law. It is not our law it is the state law. We never told them to go to the bar for a drink, the waitress told them that she went to talk to the bar manager and he too gave here the same answer. The manager clearly told the members with no ID as well as the guest with an expired ID that they could not drink. The ironic part is that they did act like 16 year old kids and decided to sneak the alcohol. They actually went to a wait station, took a plastic cup for kids and poured alcohol into the cup. When the manager watched this happen she went over to the table and asked them to leave. This was clearly not worth the problems to come especially with a full restaurant of families. When the manager asked them to leave they told here they would drink when and where they liked and there was nothing she could do about it. Then the "mature" guest drank the alcohol in front of the manger and threw the cup on the table. The manager felt intimidated and asked for my help. When I came out of the kitchen away from my job to deal with these children I told them to pay their bill and leave. They stood up, got aggressive and said that since we kicked them out, they were not paying. Yes, this is when I told them they would go to jail for theft of service and that they were absolutely going to pay their tab! After more arguing with these selfish and arrogant people, they finally left! To a round of applause by other guest around them! I hope these people do read my response because I want them to know that we don't want them in the mount snow area as we don't need childish, pouting, arrogant people here. Rent somewhere else please!
Brewster, New York
“Good if you have kids.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

It looked like a great place to bring kids...there were lots of them running around. Probably not the right place for a couple with relaxation in mind. The food as just okay, the clam chowder tasted like it came from a #10 can. Giving it an average review because it was geared for kids.

• Visited March 2013