“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Newmarket, Canada
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

Great atmosphere. Meal started with House made Bread and Radish butter, followed by a couple selections of cheeses. Hangar Steak was cooked perfectly and tasted amazing. Add in a glass of hill Farmstead beer and you have the makings of a great night. Highly recommended!

• Visited March 2014

Greater Metro NYC
“Lovely evening in Waterbury!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Our family had the chance to dine here for dinner this week which is still considered "mud season". During this week, the restaurant had a great special - small plate, large plate and cheese plate for $35 per person. We found the selections to be delicious and we all enjoyed tasting/sharing each others choices. We selected the octopus, blue fish, oysters and duck sausage as small plates - prepared flawlessly! For the large plates, we selected rabbit, redfish and crepes - again, so delicious and perfectly prepared. You can tell the food is fresh, flavorful and cooked with care. We also enjoyed the abundant wine selection; and our seats overlooking the water. We have been there previously, so we were a little disappointed with the service on this night. Our server seemed a bit disinterested and disorganized. One of our guests knew more about the fabulous Scout's Honor Small Batch Ice Cream for our nephew than the server. We ended up being overcharged for the inclusive cheese; and one entree wasn't finished so we asked for a "to go" pack which never materialized. None of that was enough to mar our evening - but given the recent accolades bestowed upon the chef, I would strongly expect the service to be impeccable and on par with the exceptional food.

• Visited April 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston
“The best restaurant in Stowe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

This restaurant is beautiful and the food is amazing!
Locally sourced food and a wonderful staff.
For desert try all the locally sourced fromage.

Visited February 2014
Washington, D.C.
“Awesome restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

I went here twice in 2 weeks and loved both experiences! The food was amazing and the drinks were really good. The first time I had the mushroom toast and the beef. Both were really good although my beef came out a touch cold (but the fish my dad ordered was piping hot upon arrival). The 2nd time, I went with 2 other friends to share this place. The waiter was a bit judgy when we ordered 2 orders of the bread to start. The bread is delicious but he definitely thought we were only going to order that. I understand that 20 somin's can come off as cheap, but we ended up spending $250 for dinner and leaving a 20% tip. This was the only downside of both times I went. I would still highly recommend this place if visiting the area (worth the drive from Stowe also).

• Visited February 2014
Orange County, NY
“Best in Waterbury”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Probably the best restaurant in Waterbury. However not the best restaurant of all time. My wife and I decided to take a drive out to The Hen of the Wood for a romantic meal & to escape her family while we made a routine trip to Burlington. We had an early reservation (we had plans for later & they only had a 5 o'clock left). The service was terriffic, although it should have been as we were the first in the restaurant, aside from the dog that greeted us as we walked in. The menu is eclectic which is a turn on for my wife and I. The appetizers were served quickly and other tables started to fill in. Bursting with fresh not frozen or preserved flavor was the steak tar tar, it was fantastic. Our meals came out a very short time later, and to my dismay, my steak was very underwhelming. It was a small dish that left me hungry afterward. The food came out so quickly I only had time for 1 drink, a headytopper beer on tap. (you can only get in vermont, but not worth the hype.) We left mildy dissapointed and probably will not return, unless we lived in Waterbury. There are many other great Vermont restaurants.

• Visited February 2014