“Beautiful historic working sheep farm” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington
Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast
You added Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
1638 Scales Hill Rd, Washington, VT 05675   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Washington B&B and Inns
“Beautiful historic working sheep farm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We can't say enough about how great Grand View Farm B & B is. Our 1770s room and attached living room were lovely, pristine, and equipped with modern conveniences while retaining historic charm. The pastures, woods, llamas, sheep, garden, and other aspects of this working fiber farm were truly lovely. Breakfast largely from the farm was delicious and well prepared. We enjoyed exploring tiny classic Vermont towns and covered bridges. Wonderful wonderful wonderful!

• Stayed August 2012
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
This couple chose to stay off the beaten path, and tour some of Vermont's small, quaint villages. We are surrounded by small historic towns. Each one has its own charm, tree lined commons, little white churches, and old capes. You will not find stoplights, strip malls, chain restaurants, or big box stores in these villages. Instead, you will see covered bridges, farms, farm stands along the road, and native Vermonters at work and play.

Vermont Route 110, runs directly through the village of Washington where our farm is located. It is well known as one of the most scenic drives in the state. Lovely farms, open fields, and numerous covered bridges follow Rt. 110, as it winds through the valley, along the river.

My husband prepared this couple's breakfast using our own eggs, vegetables, and sausage. He is a wonderful chef and loves giving a tour of our farm to our guests.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our family had a terrific stay at Vermont Grand View Farm and we look forward to many more visits! As B&B owners we don't get away often but always look for a unique B&B experience when we do travel. We have 3 boys so often this is difficult because many B&Bs don't accommodate children. Vermont Grand View Farm is ideal for children. The rooms are comfortable and clean, the kitchenette is a fabulous bonus (as a mom of 3 we always travel with snacks and drinks), and there is plenty of room for the boys to run and explore. Our boys were thrilled immediately upon arrival to meet Tess (resident Border Collie) they had been missing our dog greatly and were excited to have some dog company. Tess is very accommodating in this department, she's a sweetheart who loves to play. We enjoyed all the animals and the serene beautiful soundings greatly. As a long time knitter I always enjoy being in the company of sheep and always find people who keep sheep to be amongst the nicest people I know. The Goodling family is no exception. Kim and Chuck, along with their children, are the perfect hosts. They are very knowledgeable about the area and were helpful in guiding us where to go. We went to a fantastic flea market in Chelsea and found many treasures to take home. Another highlight of our stay was a lovely picnic and outdoor Vermont Symphony Orchestra concert. Although there is much to do in the area I would have been very happy to have spent all my time on the front porch knitting and taking in the view. Breakfast on the porch was very special. We enjoyed delicious fresh eggs from their hens and homemade sausage, we also had waffles and yogurt with local berries. The maple syrup of course is home made, I would expect no less from a Vermont farm. If you are a fiber lover, I highly recommend the Goodling's farm raised yarns from their flock of Romney sheep. Knitted items are alway more special to me when I know the sheep and the people who raise them. When I knit with Vermont Grand View Farm yarns I will aways think of the beautiful hillside spotted with happy sheep. I was thrilled when our eldest son chose a college in nearby Randolph VT. I look forward to visiting him often and wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than Vermont Grand View Farm.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
It is always a treat to have knitters visit our farm, as they have a very special appreciation for our work as shepherds! We look forward to hosting this family at our farm for many years to come.

The Chelsea Flea Market usually occurs the second weekend of July. People come from miles away to meander through the many antique vendors. You will find old tools, dishes, jewelry, linens, books, and furniture. Every year, I find something useful to bring home with me. This year, upon the suggestion of a B&B guest, I bought an antique bedside table for our Rooster bedroom!

The Vermont Symphony Orchestra performs outdoor concerts throughout the state during the summer months. Randolph hosts the concert which falls close to July 4th. Folks pack a picnic dinner, and take a blanket to lay on the lawn and listen to the music under the stars. The performance always ends with fireworks! It is a family favorite!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were looking for a different vacation experience; something away from fancy hotels, crowds and "tourist traps". We found it! What a wonderful place. The Goodling Family welcomed us to their home and were happy to introduce us to a working farm experience. The kids were great -- surprisingly knowledgeable and they seemed to take a great deal of pride in explaining about their animals. I never knew so much goes into producing the "fabric" we take for granted: shearing the sheep, cleaning and preparing the wool, spinning it into fiber, then weaving. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and we had the entire side of the house to ourselves. The mountain views are awesome, and we loved exploring the trails in the woods. We especially enjoyed Kim's "Farm Dinner" which she had ready for us when we arrived. Kim was also helpful in recommending a local farmer's market, some beautiful drives and hikes and great places to take photographs. Highly recommend this experience if you are looking for something off the beaten track, relaxing and fun.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
For the outdoor person, our farm is in a perfect location for biking, hiking, and canoeing! Ask us for advice on local hiking trails, or enjoy the trails in the woods behind our house! In the winter, our guests love snowshoeing on the trails. This couple enjoyed Vermont, its beauty and being out in nature!
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

Our family of 4 (kids 9 and 15) LOVED Vermont Grand View Farm! While vacation planning, I initially felt overwhelmed by the choices in Vermont, but settled on Grand View Farm and couldn't be happier with my choice. Day trips touring around the beautiful state of Vermont were easy at this central location, and we were always happy to return to our quiet spot at this working farm.

For me the draw was the fiber arts studio -- Kim and her family will go out of their way to tailor weaving, knitting, or other fiber activities for their guests (for a very reasonable fee which includes access to a tranquil and lovely barn studio). My daughter and I enjoyed hanging out during our down time on the farm while weaving and gathering for our art projects. What a treat to have so little to do that you can slow down and enjoy nature and art. Delicious.

The rental portion of the house is a terrific value, has tons of character and is tastefully yet whimsically decorated. My kids are getting too big to share a double bed, so having the 2 twins in one room was great. I also loved having a fridge, sink, dishes, basic cooking implements, and an electric water kettle for snack and tea time. We took full advantage of the large clean grill and burner, plus lovely outdoor eating area that has the grand view of the farm's name. Kim will let you know where to buy the BEST local meets, cheeses, and produce in the area, and we so enjoyed meeting farmers who are raising and growing quality products. We were able to eat very very well here, and I also appreciated being able to dine in our first night (all we had to do was send a little email to the farm and a delicious homemade dinner was ready for us when we arrived!).

Breakfasts are hearty, substantial, filled with local goodness like homegrown cherry tomatoes, berries, farm fresh eggs, local cheese and of course maple syrup. The owners are knowledgeable and accommodating but not the least bit intrusive. The Goodlings took our family on a tour of the premises on the day we arrived and we loved the ever-watchful llamas and the uncannily attentive dog Tess. Later in our stay, when my daughter expressed an interest in going horseback riding, Kim personally arranged a lesson with her own daughter's riding instructor at the nearby Icelandic horse farm. It was just the kind of personal touch I really love!

Anything you need -- from extra cooking implements to directions to the best nearby restaurants -- the Goodlings are happy to supply it for you, and with a smile and a lovely hand-drawn map. They really want you to have a wonderful time on their farm and in Vermont.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
We enjoyed sharing with this lovely family what our farm and the surrounding area has to offer: from fiber classes to horseback riding, to exploring the Vermont country side, to sampling some of Vermont's finest foods!
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

My boys and I arrived at Grand View Farm after a day-long drive from Southern Vermont.  While we were settling into our rooms (clean and quaint as advertised) the boys were crushed to see warning signs all over the farm suite forbidding them from entering the barn or visiting with animals without Goodling Family supervision.  Except a dog and cat, there were no animals with which they could play, nor could they even visit with the penned farm animals from outside their fencing as it is all electric and poses an electrocution hazard.  There is no mention of this HUGE farm stay limitation on the Web site which features many photos of children frolicking with farm animals.   My kids moped around and felt stuck on the porch.  I got them out for a little walk, but while the "quiet dirt road" running through the farm  is mostly empty, when cars come flying down the mountain, they are going 40 mph which makes walking even to the sheep pasture treacherous.

Kim, the owner, was defensive when I mentioned our disappointment to her.  She said they are a working farm, not a petting zoo, and that her insurance company forbids guests from entering animal areas without her.  Fine, then STATE that on your promotional material.  On other farms we have visited, there are always a few and sometimes many animals for kids to visit without owner supervision in addition to all the "working" animals.

To make matters worse, I soon began to worry about dinner when I realized that the "kitchenette" in the suite has neither a stove nor microwave.  Kim indicated a grill (up the hill, behind a fence with no gate, on the opposite side of the house from the door -- totally unappealing and inaccessible) that I was "welcome" to use.  I hadn't picked up anything grillable on the way because neither their Web site nor Kim in her pre-arrival conversation with me mentioned the lack of cooking facilities or even that the stores in the "nearby" towns have limited selection and hours.  Kim suggested that tomorrow we drive an hour to her friend's farm to buy meat.  A scavenger hunt around VT in search of decent food is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.  More importantly, it did nothing to solve our dinner problem.  We were up the creek without a paddle, (or in this case up four miles of unmarked dirt roads through a forest,) and I was forced to pack my hungry kids back in the car for another hour and a half drive to get dinner in Barre.  We had to rush our meal as I was afraid I'd never find the way back up the unmarked, dirt mountain roads in the dark.

When we got back, I informed Kim that we could not stay due to the food situation.  She said she would discuss our invoice for the two additional nights with her husband.  I assumed she would present a compromise that took both our disappointment and inconvenience and her need to make a living into account.  In good faith, we tread lightly on the house, using only one of the bedrooms and one towel in an attempt to make her cleaning job easier.

I was truly shocked, (and intimidated as a woman traveling alone with kids,) when Kim's husband, whom I had yet to meet during our stay, came to our door in the morning demanding full payment.  I explained that I'd had a long chat with Kim about coming to an amicable arrangement, but he was insistent.  I went next door to try one more time to reach a compromise with Kim, but she lost her temper with me, saying they needed the money for college payments and that the cancellation policy was clear.  I said it was not MY policy to pay in full for services that are not as advertised, especially when they ruin my summer vacation.  Then she yelled an insult at me in front of my children.  All this drama in friendly Vermont?  I was appalled.  It was beyond unprofessional.  It was scary!  I handed over $500 for nothing and removed my children from the premises.  It was such a shame because the boys were finally getting to visit the pasture animals with the Goodling's daughter (a very nice young lady) but I couldn't risk staying a moment longer out there with angry people around us.  I feel sad writing this negative review.  I only wish the Goodlings were more upfront about the limitations of their location and facilities, and less willing to put money before fairness and human kindness.

• Stayed August 2012
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
We are so sorry that this family was disappointed with rural Vermont farm life, and that our location and amenities were not what they expected. We love sharing our home, pets, and farm animals with our guests.

We are a working sheep farm which utilizes sustainable farming practices. Though it would seem more convenient to our farmstay guests, our animals are not kept within the confines of small penned areas near our house, but rather rotationally graze our pastures. Grazing in this manner protects our sheep from heavy parasite overloads which compromise their health. We use electric fencing to contain the sheep within the field and to subdivide the pasture for grazing. The 5 strand electric fencing is best suited for our hillside terrain. Electric fencing is commonly used to keep animals in, and predators out.

Our primary goal is the safety of the children and families who visit us. Most of the guests have never been around farm animals. It is our responsibility to help them learn about farm animals, and how to approach them and interact with them. Though our ewes are not aggressive by nature, they can be startled, and their instincts are the fright and flight method of protection. Our own son learned this the hard way when one of our 200 pound ewes was startled. She took off in a full run, knocking him off his feet and literally running over top of him. He was fortunate to have only received a small bruise on his chest. Our rams, on the other hand, can never be trusted. They may find pleasure in lowering their head and butting you off your feet. Prior to our putting signs out in our guest quarters, we had several instances where we found children and parents in the fencing with our rams. So it is for your protection that we ask that you take a member of our family with you when you are in the field or barn. The families you see on our website who are visiting with our sheep are families who have discovered the joys of farming, and have asked us to teach them about our animals and farming practices.

Once at our farm, there are several options for dinner, which I always discuss with our guests when booking a reservation. Our farm is located four miles from a small village which has three small country stores, providing basic groceries, pizza and deli sandwiches. A natural foods store with local food is 15 miles away. For the more adventuresome, who enjoy cooking and exploring Vermont; we love introducing you to some of Vermont’s finest organic market farms, who can supply you with organically grown vegetables, cheeses, and meats. There are numerous farms within 15 miles of our farm. Our previous guests have enjoyed visiting other farms and making connections with these farmers.

For guests wanting to prepare their own meals, our suite offers a small kitchenette, as described on our website as having a refrigerator, sink, and dishes. We also have an outdoor grill with a side burner for our guests to use. (Unfortunately, prior to posting the sign in the kitchenette about washing your own dishes, I found guests who enjoyed using the kitchenette left the sink full of very dirty dishes when they checked out, though they were provided with soap, dish cloths, and towels. I am sorry that this guest found the language to be offensive, as that certainly is not our intention. I welcome feedback from our guests and will re-word the sign.)

Some guests prefer staying on the farm for their evening meal, and enjoy our own Farmhouse Dinner which we prepare using our own organically grown meat and vegetables. Information about farm dinners and sample menus can be found on our website. If guests prefer going out to eat, we can recommend some wonderful restaurants within 12-20 miles of the farm.

All of our farming practices as well as our cancellation and deposit policies are detailed on our website and a web address where this information can be found is written on guest invoices so that they may be reviewed prior to submitting a deposit. Our policies are standard for small B&B properties. We are always happy to discuss them with our guests and answer any questions.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

This old working farm is so wonderful!! The owners are knowledgable, friendly, even lovable, engaging and accommodating! The rooms are immaculate with very comfy beds and plenty of storage space. The bathroom is nice and very clean.
The food is delicious with many fresh ingrediaents from their garden and greenhouse. You can even grill your dinner on their new deck by the greenhouse and eat outside with an amazing view of a Vermont sunset!!
Ask one of the Goodling family to take you to visit all their animals...llamas who watch over their sheep and lambs, the rams, chickens who provide fresh eggs daily, an angora bunny, two sweet, playful kittens and Tess, their farm dog....ever-ready to play with anyone who'll throw a stick for her!
There are many fun-fillled activities and places to visit within a reasonable driving time and beautiful scenery along the way! Be sure to have a Maple Creemee at Morse Farm!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

This was a fantastic find for us (two families with small children). Off the beaten track yet within easy reach of most of Vermont. Kim, Chuck, and family are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. The breakfasts are delicious and use home grown ingredients. One of the highlights for the children was when Chuck took them to feed the chickens and search for eggs, which they loved. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone, not just families.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Kim G, Owner at Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
We enjoyed having your lovely families stay with us! It was wonderful to have the house filled with the sounds of little ones.

Been to Vermont Grand View Farm and Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!