“I LOVE Vermont!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hostel Tevere

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Hostel Tevere
You added Hostel Tevere to your Saves list
203 Powderhound Rd., Warren, VT 05674   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“I LOVE Vermont!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

Having been to Hostel Tevere by myself (to ski) and with my wife (to kind of ski)...I highly endorse this "hip establishment." Sarah and Giles are young, energetic, and efficient. Not only are the beds comfortable, but the live music and excellent food makes this the only place to stay in the valley. Recluctant-as many-to write this review...if you are looking for solstice mingled with adventure...and the many other natural offerings of this area...it's hard to go wrong here!

Room Tip: Stay up late
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Ithaca, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have nothing much to add to other reviews: Stylish, artful, comfortable, friendly, welcoming, immaculately clean, especially for a hostel. The food is a little spendy but fair, I think, a for the quality and portions, especially compared to a lot of ski-town places. Unlike some hostels, which are basically one common room and the bunks, there are multiple spaces where one can spend time when not sleeping, such as the little game room, the wood-stove room, the little room off the lobby, and, when they're open, the restaurant and bar. In other words, you can actually have a little semi-privacy. The lamps for each bunk are a really nice touch. My suggestions: 1. Start breakfast earlier during the ski season. I'd like to be heading to the mountain or trails by 8, not just sitting down to breakfast. Even 7:30 would help. If that's not possible, maybe set out a continental kind of spread with say, bagels, boiled eggs, muffins, toast, a coffee urn. Maybe set out a jar and make it an honor system -- my hunch is guests would cover the costs. Maybe a bakery in the valley could supply the goods and you could cross-promote one another. 2. Provide some sort of food-prep spot for guests. One of the draws of traditional hostels is cooking facilities for guests to use and thus save money on meals. Lacking this in a sense makes Hostel Tevere less a true hostel. Heck, a hot plate or microwave oven, a sink, a dorm-size refrigerator would probably do it. I don't think it would cut down the restaurant business because your food is too good to pass up when the restaurant is open. 3. Watch the little things. When I came in the winter walking to the door was hazardous because a puddle between the parking lot and the ramp had frozen. All it needed was a little melting salt or an ice chopper. You could step over it, but I'd hate to see someone get hurt. Again, these are just small points for improvement -- nothing to keep me from coming back.

Room Tip: On weekdays, bring some ready-to-eat food, or line up a close-by place for coffee and breakfast the...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Let's start with the good stuff, because there's a lot of it. Hostel Tevere is beautifully decorated, warm and welcoming, clean, and in a great location. But when we stayed there last weekend, there were two incredibly late nights of very loud music from the bar downstairs, making it very difficult to sleep until 2-3am, not what you want before days of being in the outdoors.

Saying that, the bar is cool, and a nice addition to the hostel. But if sleep is really important to you, you might want to give them a call to check what's on that weekend before committing to a stay there. Value for money is good for the overnight's stay, and we might return for a quieter visit in the future.

Room Tip: The 7 person room is directly above the bar, and the noise travels there very easily. The other roo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Sopchoppy, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I'm a budget traveler at heart and I can get by without the luxuries, so I was a little bit bummed when I found out there was no kitchen. That's why I love going to hostels, at least here in the US, because I love the shared kitchen and cooking my own food. I was a little bit more bummed when I found out how overpriced the food was. Since it was snowing outside and I only have 2-wheel drive economy vehicle, I hunkered down and decided to eat dinner at the bar. I was shocked how expensive meals were. $11 for Philly-cheese steak, yeeshh...

The beds however were immaculate! The comforters were super comfy and I had the best sleep I had in a long time.

Overall, this is still a bargain, and I don't feel too bad despite the food being exorbitantly overpriced.

Room Tip: Bring ready to eat food. Their meals are very expensive. $8-10 for mac n' cheese?!?!?
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
hosteltevere, Owner at Hostel Tevere, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
We're sorry you felt our food offerings were overpriced. We would like to say that all the food at Hostel Tevere is specially prepared, from scratch, each day with high-quality, local ingredients and served in generous portions. We sincerely feel the value is great for a hearty, home-cooked meal, and hope you will try us again in the future!

Sarah + Giles - Owners Hostel Tevere
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

If you are in Sugarbush you have to eat at this place. It has a small, creative menu that changes daily. Sarah (owner/chef) has an intuitive knack for blending flavors in a way that will bring you back for more. We ate there several times. Imagine gingerbread pancakes or breakfast burrito with locally made Mexican churizo. Healthy salads, to die for clam chowder, philly cheese steak, pastas, etc. If you are lucky she will top it off with homemade chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches.

Giles (owner) runs the service area and business side. Service is attentive and excellent.

If you are looking for an expensive white tablecloth place you should definitely go somewhere else.

But if you are looking for a casual, artsy place for creative foodies, this is it.

You might want to try the other restaurants first because you will only eat with Sarah and Giles once you try their place.

• Stayed December 2011
Waterbury, Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I've only been here for the food and bar and must say that both are spectacular. This isn't a normal hostel either; it's extremely clean and the owners really pride themselves on taking great care of the property. I would not hesitate to recommend to a friend or family member.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I was here over the Columbus Day weekend with my boyfriend and several other friends for one night. I had already read the good reviews, so I was hoping that it would live up to my expectations. I was not let down. My last hostel experience was in my teens, and this was totally different and so much better.

The owners are super nice and laid back. Check in was super easy, we had already made reservations online. The whole place has a funky ikea meets the country aesthetic. The main rooms, linens and bunks are very clean. Also, the bunk beds are super sturdy! So, if you are like me, and have not used a bunk bed since college you will feel a- ok! The upstairs bathroom is used by many people. So, if you are a little bit of a germ-o-phobe - bring your flip-flops for the shower. Also, we brought our own towels as there is an additional charge to rent a towel of $2.00.

We were in VT for a big party, so we did not have dinner there. But, the bar was cool. My boyfriend was very happy with the beer on tap - local and very tasty. I was happy with the mixed drink selection. The game was on the tv and the other patrons were very nice, friendly and easy to talk to. We had brunch the next day. Of the eight people in our party, everyone was happy with their choices. The gingerbread pancakes were a hit, the person who ordered them ended up sharing with everyone. You can't go wrong with the Southwestern breakfast burrito. They also served mimosas and bloody marys for those who might need them......

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Tevere? Share your experiences!