“Worth the extra 1 1/2 hour drive” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Warren
Activities: Skiing, Mountain biking
More attraction details
Owner description: One of New England's major commercial ski areas.
Pennington
8 attraction reviews
“Worth the extra 1 1/2 hour drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

A family friendly ski resort. We stayed on the Mountain at Clay Brook condominiums. The ski instructors were experienced, friendly and accommodating. Our daughter took a first time skier's three day lesson package. Upon completion the skiers receive a seasons pass. I will be back.

New York City, New York
“Ski”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Great family mountain, easy access to all trails, lodge. Easy walking...fun trails. Kids loved ski school.

Whitehouse Station, New Jersey
“Great Mountain”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Lots of personality and great ski school for the kids. Always try to get up to Sugarbush when we have lots of time to drive up.

Conn
3 attraction reviews
“Great Presidents Day weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

It saddens me to see the other review. I know Sugarbush has had issues last week and Win Smith sent a lengthy email explaining issues w lifts, weather, etc., Yes, it has been cold followed by warm days and then rain, then cold. terrible conditions to try and make snow.

We had a great 4 nights/5 days at Sugarbush just this weekend. They have tremendous staff of hard workers on lifts, grooming the trails, even working in the bars and handing out hot cider and the end of the day. We have been coming to Sugarbush for 7 straight years and while expensive, we think it's worth it. They go the extra mile to make it enjoyable. At some point over our weekend, we always end up on a chair lift w someone who works there and they are kind, enthusiastic and polite. We look forward to our trip every year and we appreciate the time and money that has been put into this resort. Thank you Win Smith for bringing Sugarbush back to life.

Boston
“They need to put some $$ into the mountain”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I am fuming. As in, blood boiling, ticked off, fuming. One ski weekend a year with the kids at grandma's and we had a TERRIBLE experience. Why? Because we could hardly ski!

I love this mountain. And this weekend was all about convincing my husband that this is where our kids should learn to ski as we are looking at property in Vermont. Arrived Friday, main lift at Sugarbush was down. No big deal, we thought, we'll ski Mt Ellen, fine. Arrived Saturday, main lift STILL down - for the third day in a row! Lines at the other two base lifts were over an hour long. So, packed up and drove over to Mt. Ellen (did I mention that the fancy lift that connects the two mountains hasn't been opened this year??). Couldn't even get to the parking lot - cars were parked almost a mile down the access road. We gave up on skiing that day.

Finally got on the mountain Sunday - main lift FINALLY fixed. First run, skied down to the ONLY lift to the summit. THAT WAS NOW BROKEN! No way to get to the top, as the only other high lift, Castlerock, hasn't opened yet for the season due to lack of snow. And it's mid February.

I love the terrain here, but in 2014 there is no reason a lift should be down for three days. The lifts are all old and slow and have limited capacity. And apparently have met the end of their useful life. They've spent tens of millions of dollars on the base area and real estate, and clearly put nothing into the actual skiing. I don't need a fancy ski valet or a latte at the lodge. I need snow and a functional lift system - that's why I drove four hours to be here.

Most of the trails had very light cover. Understandable as we haven't had a ton of snow this season, but it has been COLD for two months. As in,freeze your butt off, almost too cold to ski cold - plenty cold for snowmaking. We didn't see a single snow gun during our 3 days here. Not one. They should be blowing snow all over the place.

Big. Fat. Fail. Sugarbush. As in so bad, we refused to Apres on mountain as we weren't going to give them any more of our hard earned money this visit.

And shame on them - they weren't even discounting lift tickets.

Visited February 2014
SugarbushVT, Public Relations Manager at Sugarbush Mountain Ski Resort, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
First off, I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review. I would encourage you to take a look at our president Win Smith's latest communication, which does a nice job of addressing some of your concerns. Here's the link > http://bit.ly/winsword

As far as not putting money into the mountain, the last decade (since Win and Summit Ventures has taken over ownership of the resort) has seen over $50 million invested into on-mountain improvements. This includes 4 new lifts, improved snowmaking, three new lodges, and groomers.

I'm sorry for your negative experience. This is certainly not the norm here, and not the type of experience we want you and your family to have. I would encourage you to try visiting again and let us prove to you we can improve upon your past visit. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me with any additional questions/concerns.

Thanks,