“Great location ,nice setting , but there's one hell of a miserable person running it , and the toilets don't work when temps dro” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Lion Riverside Inn

Golden Lion Riverside Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Warren
Golden Lion Riverside Inn
You added Golden Lion Riverside Inn to your Saves list
731 VT Route 100, Warren, VT 05674   |
Ranked #5 of 7 Warren B&B and Inns
Avoca, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I've stayed there every January for the past 6 or 7 years. In the past it was quite nice and enjoyable but the woman running it is extremely miserable and downright mean. Plus you may experience frozen water lines during winter months and nonfunctioning toilets ,which leaves you with sewage backing up into your toilets from other rooms. We just returned from our annual trip and had experience all of those things this week! I will not be staying there next year ,unless the problems are fixed and management undergoes an attitude adjustment

• Stayed January 2014
GLion, Manager at Golden Lion Riverside Inn, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Outdoorzguy570,
Thanks for your review of the Golden Lion Inn from your recent stay. I am sincerely sorry that your stay was not 100% to your liking. Clearly I was not as hospitable to you as I have been in the past to other guests, who have written excellent reviews of my service on this very website. I cannot apologize enough.
In regard to the issue with the plumbing, thanks to you and the other guests in your party we were alerted to a situation that had developed in our system that we were unaware of. Fortunately, we have been able to fix the issue and I thank you very much for letting me know what was happening.
I do hope you will give the Golden Lion a try another time, and that I may be able to make up to you the shortfalls in your stay this time around.
Ruth Ann Pattee, Innkeeper

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

If you want an affordable place to stay with great service this is it! Across from the access road, outdoor hot tub, delicious simple homemade breakfast at a great cost, then stay here. Rooms are comfortable for unwinding after a great day of skiing. Ruth Anne defines hospitality. We will be back and we will recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here along with two dogs for the weekend of the Mad Marathon race. I was running the half marathon and it was the perfect distance away from the race. Far enough to enjoy some peace and quiet the days before. It was really nice to be able to bring our pups along to enjoy some fresh air. The room was much bigger than I expected with a nice little sofa for the dogs to rest on. The room was a bit humid but the air conditioning helped with the nasty heat outside. The room had a fridge and a small table which was nice since we couldn't go out to eat too much with the dogs. The property behind the inn is what makes it special. The Mad River Trail is lovely and we had fun exploring it with the dogs. We even got a chance to swim in the river, we had a peaceful dip in the water with no one to bother us. It was beautiful and I hope to go back one day. In our room we were also able to have breakfast. Breakfast is home cooked and it was the perfect way to start the day. I would definitely recommend this place. And if I do the half marathon again next year, I'll be staying here once again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
marietta GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Don't go and expect the Ritz and you wont be dissapointed. The property looks dated, both outside and inside. The rooms were clean, and large, but looked straight out of the 1980's. Old style tv, but with good satellite programing.
There is a small hottub on a deck and hotel is right on the river and directly across from sugarbrush ski area access road.
Strong wifi signal for a very reasonable 1$ per day.
breakfast personally prepared for you in the morning by the owner- wtth a great menu that varies a bit from day to day. My french toast with vermont maple syrup was awesome, as were the pancakes the next day.

By far the best thing about this establishment are the people that run it. Best i can tell it is a mother and daughter, and they were both super helpful and extra accommodating. Sent reservation by leaving a voicemail and the owner called me back that evening and talked with me at length about which rooms would be appropriate for my needs.
Called the day before arrival to shorten my stay by a night - over 4th of july no less- and got a cheery "no problem"
teh day we drive over from NY our AC goes out in the car, so we are hot and sticky and need to cool off desperately. OUr room (#11) did not have a direct AC unit because it was a joined room with #12 to form a suite if needed. The room was cool, and had a fan, but we really wanted to be cooler. THe owner was able move us to another room and let us stay there for both nights even though the property was full for the mad river marathon that weekend. I could tell that she went out of her way to accommodate us. I am sure that the room we were moved to was probably a higher rate than the one we were moved from, but she did not charge us extra. She took the time to make regular pancakes (instead of blueberry) for my son one morning- which shows that they arent stacked up in the kitchen in a warmer.
I would highly reccomend this hotel based on the great people running the place.

The only reservation i would give - if you are someone who is used to staying in 4 star properties, I dont think you'll be satisfied if you expect fancy furnishings and such. But if you know what to expect, you will not be disappointed

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Elizabeth, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

No frills. Friendly helpful staff. Great breakfast included. Close to Sugar Bush and Mad River Glen ski areas.Had WiFi, hot tub older t.v. but had dish network. Some very good eating establishments are located within easy driving distance.There are ski equipment and clothing stores nearby. Next time we are in Vermont we will certainly stay here again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family stayed in the "Riverside Efficiency" Tues-Friday of President's week, Feb 2013. The room was perfectly fine with good space for my family of 5 during evenings, good beds, reasonably well-equipped kitchenette, and spacious bathroom recently renovated.
WiFi Internet was available for a very reasonable rate of $1 per person per day.
And the Breakfast of pancakes or french toast or eggs, plus sausage, plus juice, muffins/banana bread, fruit and cereal; was well-worth the $5 per person per day (breakfast is a $5 per person option when staying in the efficiency rooms).
We enjoyed the hot tub 2 evenings also.

Staff were friendly, helpful, and attentive.

Great location, with only a few minutes drive to Sugarbush main parking lot, and ~1/2 hour to Mad River Glen. Also just a 10minute drive to Waitsfield for restaurants.

We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Milford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The Golden Lion is a great value. Room was clean and neat. Breakfast was excellent. Location is convenient to everything. Half way between Warren and Waitsfield and minutes from the mountain. Staff was friendly, courteous and very accomodating. This is one of our favorite places to stay and be sure will will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Lion Riverside Inn? Share your experiences!