“Wow... great for whole family !!!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 14 Attractions in Waitsfield
Type: Ski/ Snowboard Areas, Valleys, Outdoors
Activities: Skiing, Snow-shoeing, Viewing wildlife, Snowboarding
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular Vermont ski area and New England's best ski buy.
New York
5 attraction reviews
“Wow... great for whole family !!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

My first time skiing here was 3/16/14 after a great dump of snow, I'm hooked.. The vibe is so cool the trails are great, love the single chair.. You really have to ski here on a great powder day , and you'll be hooked as well...

Visited March 2014

Pembroke, Massachusetts
“Mad River Glen - "Hot" Time Skiing with A "Cool" Vibe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

A few weeks ago we made our annual pilgrimage to "The Valley" for a weekend of skiing. Mad River Glen is like no other ski "resort." We watched the "Unconventional Terrain Competition" as we rode the Single Chair Lift which first opened in 1948! MRG is the only cooperatively-owned ski area in America and has a unique, laid-back vibe. After skiing, you must go to the General Stark pub afterwards for a heaping plate of nachos.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful mountain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I only skied at MRG one day, so my experience may not be typical, but I found it beautiful and restorative. It was a Feb. weekend with fresh snow, but it wasn't crowded on the runs. The lifts are old and slow, but I didn't mind so much because I enjoyed the view and fresh air. Great terrain!

The soups were good and the upper floor of the lodge is a nice sunny spot to hang out with little ones. (The adults in our party took turns skiing/babysitting.)

Boston, Massachusetts
“Friendly, old school, natural ski experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

Just returned from MRG for February vacation week with my husband and 3 boys. Everyone was so helpful and friendly! I wanted to give a special thank you to the following folks:

* the chair operators who lifted my 3 little sons into the single chair multiple times a day
* the cooperative members and locals who proactively gave us tips on where to ski with kids
* the mountain host who helped us unload our car at the entrance
* the ski instructors who taught my sons some new techniques and where to find the wood trails
* the Ski Patrol who took such good care of my husband when he fell on day 1 and followed up with us every day thereafter to make sure he was OK
* the lunch staff who accommodated my son's gluten allergy in the midst of lunch hour rush

And the skiing was simply amazing. Lots of natural trails and fresh powder and the freedom to ski where you like. I also loved the rustic lodge and bar with the hearth fireplace. I would highly recommend MRG for families, especially during vacation weeks. We skied right onto the chair lifts the whole week! And it was a great value, especially if you get the MRG Family Mad Card by 10/15 and then you get seasons passes for the kids for free.

Mays Landing, New Jersey
“Mad River Glen Powder Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Fantastic classic Vermont ski experience including the USA's only remaining Single Chair Lift. The good, the snow was fantastic and the mountain views amazing. Something for everyone here, ski it, you can! The only negative is slow lifts and long lines on a holiday powder filled weekend. That being said, you wouldn't want high speed lifts here, it would kill the experience of the solitude you can enjoy on the mountain!