“Don't miss this unique opportunity to relax with your family & pets.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Basin Harbor Club

You added Basin Harbor Club to your Saves list
Basin Harbor Club
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   4800 Basin Harbor Road, Vergennes, VT 05491   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vergennes
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Don't miss this unique opportunity to relax with your family & pets.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2007

We had a fantastic July 4th holiday at Basin Harbor. They presented an incredible fireworks display and had lots of fun activites - such as mimosa's on the waterfront for adults & a kid's bike parade that was utterly charming.

The resort is truly pet-friendly. They managed to achieve a nice balance - guests were respectful of pet rules on clean-up/barking/control and we didn't feel overly burdened with rules or like we were missing out on the property. Our two dogs had a great time lounging on the cottage deck watching boats and running the edgewater trail.

The cottages are quaint and very individual - our original cottage didn't have a deck or porch like we had in mind so the concierge helped us find one more suitable.

The food was very good and there were many alternatives to choose from.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Poughkeepsie, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

We stayed at the Basin Harbor Club merely because it is listed in the Historic Hotels book. Little did we know how great it really is. We stayed about a month ago and it had just opened two days before. We seemed to have the place to ourselves. It was very romantic. Also, we booked online and thought that we’d get a room in the inn (historic hotel and all) but we were surprised to see that most of the accommodations are cottages. Sweet little cottages. Very clean cottages and ours had a huge bathroom with a whirlpool tub. We loved the place entirely. The breakfast was exquisite. We had dinner at the Red Mill because the main dining room wasn’t open yet. It was fine. The grounds are gorgeous and will be truly beautiful in about July and August. We did not have the children with us but there seems to be a great arrangement for the kids with a camp area and dinner with the rest of the kids so the parents can eat in peace. Highly recommend the Basin Harbor Club.

• Liked — The beautiful location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Souzas, SP, Brazil
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

I was searching for a place to sleep with a view of Lake Champlain in order to watch the sun set with the Adirondacks in the background. Because of the posted price, I had eliminated Basin Harbor as a possibility. But as the afternoon wore on after 5 oçlock, I discovered that lake front hotels are very scarce without driving farther north. So I ventured into Basin Harbor Club.

It was commencement weekend at nearby Middlebury College and Memorial Day weekend, but a single room was available for one night, a Friday. I was given a "walk in" rate for room and breakfast, which was a real bargain.

My room, #3 in the Homestead building was tastefully decorated The bed was comfortable and the bathroom huge. Plenty of hot water. As I was alone, I did not take advantage of the many outdoor activities available that evening but enjoyed the view.

The buffet breakfast in the Main Lodge was outstanding. The servers seemed very well trained but the coffee was not good. I did not have dinner the night before as the informal dining possibility, near the air strip, was extremely crowded and I never would have been served. I guess I did not miss much according to other reviews I have read. They could improve on providing meals elsewhere than the main dining room but for one night it was not a serious problem. For those spending more time there in the cottages with children etc., this could be a serious negative.

Basin Harbor Club is a refined resort that attracts much repeat business. The history of the property and the fact that the forth generation of the Beach family runs it a big plus. Try it with an open mind and you should not be disappointed.

• Liked — The view over Lake Champlain
  • Disliked — Options for dinner
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
North Haven, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at Basin Harbor over Colombus Day weekend and had a very nice time. We are repeat visitors to the resort. We booked it though Travelzoo, a golf & breakfast included package, stayed in a studio cottage. Afterwards I realized that that travelzoo deal was supposed to be blacked out over that weekend, but we booked it no problem.
We brought our dog again, who always has a great time. Our cottage was clean and well appointed. Location was great for us, we stayed at Gardenside, was good b/c it has a nice yard for the dog. Food was exceptional as always, we ate in the main dining room. We played golf every day, the course is in good condition however there is some construction going on in certain areas. We took the cocktail hour boat ride on lake Champlain, that was lovely.
Our first night there we were invited to a complimentary happy hour with some hors d'vours, which was unexpected and nice.
The only con- the conceirge in indeed unhelpful and rude. If you are unlucky enough to have to contact him, be prepared for him to be utterly and completely annoyed at you and he will also refuse to help you.

• Liked — Very dog friendly
  • Disliked — concierge
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Killington, VT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2006

We stayed at Basin Harbor Club this past weekend and loved every minute of it! Even though the weather was typical New England (constantly changing, but inevitably cold and wet) we had a wonderful time.

Basin Harbor has a unique charm that you don't see too much anymore. Some call it rustic; I call it old-fashioned. You won't find a TV in your cabin, but do you really need one? With unequalled views of Lake Champlain, a top-notch golf course and acitivities too numerous to mention...who needsTV?

We stayed in a newly remodeled 2-bedroom cabin that was impeccable. Clean, comfortable and the mattresses were heaven! Even though you initially didn't want to get out of bed, too much was waiting for us outside our cabin door to stay in bed!

We experienced the EScape, a tour boat new to the club. We took in the most amazing views and had a wonderfully narrated journey from Captain Ben. The clouds broke and we were able to see the Adirondacks and Green Mountains and it was truly awe inspiring.

I would consider Basin Harbor Club one of the most magical places I have ever stayed. Yes, it can be expensive, but the food is of the highest quality and it is included. The service is top notch. The fourth generation owners know their business and do it well. People (and staff) return year after year, generation after generation, and everyone feels like family. I am not sure many people get to experience a place like that!

Stayed September 2006
BA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

My husband and I travel quite a bit and have had the opportunity to stay at a range of hotels, resorts and B&B's. For the most part, we have very reasonable expectations according to the price of a room at any given property. After recently staying at the Basin Harbor Club, we were completely disappointed by the quality of the "club" let alone the price we were paying for the room ($200 a night).

I'd like to at least tell you two positive things about the "club":
1) The scenery is really beautiful
2) The breakfast buffet was good

Now, I'd like to tell you reasons not to stay at the "club":

1) Mold. There was an overwhelming smell of mold in the room and pretty much everywhere else. This is a huge deal for anyone who has allergy or asthma issues. And as anyone who can tell you about mold, its not the spots you can visibly see but rather the mold that may be growing in areas that you cannot see, like air ducts, remote attic or basement spaces, or wall cavities. I'm by no means an expert, but I can tell you that if you smell it, its there lurking.

2) Beds. My back and neck were hurting after I left the "club". Typically, this is an indication that the mattress and pillows are old and need to be changed out. Not to mention the beds we did get were about to fall apart (the headboard was leaning in on my husband's side). Coincidentally, they do not have any king size beds which is an issue for anyone who is over 5'9".

3) Power Outages. Apparently this is common and accepted as the the norm. At least they provide a candle in case this happens. In this day and age, this is unacceptable. Do they not sell generators in Vermont?

4) Charm. Aside from the views, there is really nothing charming about a moldy and antiquated B&B. I think this must have been a really cool place back in the 50's maybe 60's, but seriously, the amenities are completely outdated. I firmly understand that this is a historic hotel- I celebrate that. But, I don't think that you have to sacrifice basic ammenities to try and preserve the historic feel. Can I just get some sheets with a decent thread count ?

5) Cell Phone Reception- enough said.

I recommend that you look at all of your options before you stay at this B&B. I put the club in quotes because classifying it as such is truly not justified- its definitely not a club. Save your time and money and find a better place to stay.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — see review
  • Tips/Secrets — Not for this location
  • Stayed September 2006
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2006

I returned yesterday from my stay at The Basin Harbor Club. Overall, my husband and I (along with our friends who stayed there) were extremely disappointed. I will start off with the positives. 1) The property is located within beautiful scenery and 2) The food in the dining room was very good. Aside from that, everything else leads me to highly recommend staying elsewhere in Vergennes.

Our room - On first walking in, we were greeted with an overwhelming musty smell. The bathroom (not just the shower, but the whole bathroom) was covered in mildew. Everything felt "damp", including the toilet paper. The carpet was old and had large stains throughout the room.

The price - $200 a night for the quality of our lodging is robbery. I would have been much happier staying at a Holiday Inn Express. This property refers to itself as "club" and "resort". I couldn't disagree more. Our room wasn't even clean. The whole "resort" is in desperate need of remodeling and basic upkeep in order to attempt to fit into the category of "historic hotels".

I truly couldn't have been more disappointed in our stay. Stay somewhere else if you want a clean room. A nice view doesn't allow a hotel to compromise on the basic necessities of comfort and cleanliness, in my opinion.

• Liked — The food and the views.
  • Disliked — The property and the rooms.
  • Tips/Secrets — I would suggest not staying here.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Basin Harbor Club? Share your experiences!