“There are better places in Stowe” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
10/10 Holiday Deal
Ranked #17 of 26 Stowe B&B and Inns
Davenport, Iowa
“There are better places in Stowe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just spent 3 nights here. While our room wasn't great it wasn't horrible. Luckily we were with a group event that had negotiated a lower rate. We had a King room on the end of the main building so we had a lot of windows - our friends rooms in the same main building were small, dark and cavish, extremely disappointing. Even with the extra windows, it was a rainy few days and the light bulbs in our room were not sufficient to light the room. There were no extra outlets, had to plug our phones in the outlet in the bathroom. The hotel lobby closes at 10 not opening till 7:30, very difficult for those in our party who had trouble at the airport and weren't able to get in until after 10pm. The common areas of the hotel are lovely, but the check in desk and area surrounding it are a mess. We did have food in the restaurant, a hosted event, extremely good food! All in all I'm afraid this Inn has quiet a bit to do to restore their reputation as a top notch spot.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a good place to consider for a 3-4 day stay - I have the impression that this Inn had its "heyday" about 3 or 4 decades ago and is now trying to regain it's footing. Location is great - the big wraparound porch is a great place to people watch all the time listening to the babble of the mountain stream. we are a family of 5 and stayed in the attic room which was quite adequate - you dont stay at a place like this if you need all the modern conveniences right in your room - our teenagers had to visit the mainfloor living room to access wifi - but it was great to use the rolltop antique desk for a temporary bar - front desk was courteous - they cut us another key right on the spot as one was not working so well. good bed, good maid service - watch your head on the sloping ceilings. The highlight for us was the kitchen. Chef Brent knows how to cook food - born and raised in Boston and trained in Quebec. Edward the waiter was a good guy to get to know and the folksy musician Rob supplied the right ambience. Chef cooked prime rib to die for one night and Maine lobster the following night - he came to greet us at our table to thank us for supporting the restaurant and the Inn itself. Later that night he took my 3 kids for a ghost walk into the basement with another inn guest by the name of Joan that had worked at this same inn when she was a teenager - this friendly touch was much appreciated by my wife and myself - memories for our 3 teenagers forever. give this place a try and the best way to get on Chef Brent's good side is to offer him a cigar and ask about his kids. we drove back to Toronto by way of Killington Vt and into NY state - beautiful drive. An active holiday of mountain biking, flyfishing and golfing - the Stowe Inn more than fits the bill for this type of family holiday.

Room Tip: stay in the main inn unless you have your dog with you in which case you will want one of the motel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked this trip earlier this year through Priceline. Since we went during peak season (President's Week) prices were especially high so I was glad when I found this deal. I usually only book the top 10 hotels/B&B's in an area based on TripAdvisor reviews but after going through all of the reviews (which was very mixed) and checking out the inn's website, I decided to take a gamble. Since most of the better reviews were of the main inn, I wanted to make sure we got a room there. I emailed the inn as soon as I had made the booking on Priceline and the response was pretty quick. I specified that we wanted a room in the main inn on the first floor since we travelled with our 2 boys, which we did get.
I was impressed with the inn's website and loved the fact that it was such a charming, quaint, little inn in such a charming, quaint little town. A plus for me was that breakfast was included.

We got there a little late at night and checked in without any trouble. A lady with a british accent helped us out and she was really nice, she even gave us dinner advice. The room was down the hall from the main entrance which was perfect but the major disappointment for me was when we actually entered the room. It was really dark and the lamps didn't do much for light. There was a bit of a weird smell and later I realized it was the carpet that smelled like a dog. Being that it was late, and that the kids were tired and my husband saying that the smell wasn't that bad, we just dealt with it and decided to go to bed. The bathroom was dated and did not look as clean as I hoped. I was glad I always bring Clorox wipes with me on trips. Before going to bed, I ended up wiping down the entire bathroom because I just couldn't stand it. I did not even dare put my toothbrush down near the sink.

The 4 poster beds were really cute and comfortable and I thought the room decor went with the inn's traditional theme. The next day we went to breakfast and there weren't that many options. The scones were almost stale, and nothing else seemed good. Granted we did get there close to the end of breakfast, still it didn't seem like there were that many options. Good thing the server was very helpful. He said he could get us some hot breakfast for $10 per person, which we ended up doing. We went about our sightseeing for the day, came back and our room had been cleaned but you could still smell that dog odor. I just tried not to think about it because the inn looked like it was fully booked and didn't want to cause any trouble by complaining. Another minor detail I noticed was that when the shampoo, conditioner and soap were replaced, they were all a different brand from what was provided the day before. I just thought that was weird.

The other major issues I had was the room being so dark. I know the inn is pretty old and maybe that was the whole ambience and I could appreciate that however my oldest son has autism and is highly sensitive to lighting conditions and he found it hard to adjust to so then it eventually became our problem too. Also, there was no table/side table for eating or writing. With kids that's almost an essential for us. We ended up turning our suitcase on its side and using that as a table to feed our kids.

On the positive side, the inn is really cute and has a lot of character and charm which I loved. I liked looking at the different skis and pictures on the wall. The common areas included a study and almost like a living area which was really cool. My husband played the piano a bit too and my boys played with some of the games available for guests to enjoy. The dining area has lots of window which allowed us to enjoy the beautiful views.

I hate to give a negative review but it was just really disappointing considering I was so excited to stay here with all this inn's history and LOCATION. It was right in town and you could walk to stores and the Stowe covered bridge was right outside the inn. But at the end of the day, you're spending money to stay in a good clean functional room and if the room doesn't meet those standards, the location and amenities won't matter. :(

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our stay was very nice from beginning to end. The staff that checked us in was pleasant and helpful. We were checked in, in about 10 minutes. The room was clean and spacious. No compliants -- would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed at the Stowe Inn because we had a groupon making it half price. The room was comfortable and very clean. The reception was cordial and polite offering good advice on restaurants for dinner and breakfast. One negative which is no longer acceptable is that the WIFI was very intermitent and not working most of the time nor was it working at all in our rooms. No meals could be had at the Inn.
At the price we paid it was worthwhile, if I had paid full price I would question the value for the money spent.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool side in the summer as some kids are there early.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Hartford, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This old-fashioned inn charmed us at first sight, but two days there was enough to convince us that management's oversight was slack. Deep holes in the dirt driveway made parking a challenge, traces of black mold on our bathroom tile (that could have easily been removed with bleach) were there when we arrived and still there when we left, the "WiFi" did not operate in our room and appeared to be shut down in late evening, and the morning breakfast was $5 extra for coffee and pastry, $10 extra for hot dishes. On the plus side, the evening bartender was cheerful and accommodating, We did not eat in the restaurant. Our room with two double beds was adequate. We did not know if there was room service or a fitness center available.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

During our trip to Vermont, we had to find accommodations for one night in Stowe. We chose the Stowe Inn because of its price and the location in downtown Stowe, very close to Waterbury. The Inn's decor has definitely been around for a while, but everything was clean and service was courteous. We had a nice flatscreen TV in our room, AC, and the wi-fi worked no problem. Having a room at the front of the inn did cause quite a bit of light to come through- I wish the room had had better curtains to solve this. Overall though, for a single night's stay, that's my only complaint.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stowe Inn? Share your experiences!