“Disappointed” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 26 Stowe B&B and Inns
greeley, Colorado
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stowe inn sounded so wonderful that we bought two vouchers and spent four days there. I'm not sorry we went to magical Vermont, but I wish we had checked in to another place instead. After all, there was not a shortage of wonderful places to stay in. Stowe inn was charming to look at, but the room we stayed in was worst than what you see in motel 6. To begin with, the air conditioner was not working, there was not a screen on the window in the bathroom, the sink was so dirty, I hated to touch it and that was after talking to front desk people and leaving a note for housekeeping. They left the same dirty glasses for us to use and after finding the house keeper who was cleaning the bathroom in another room, I asked her for clean glasses and she proceeded to grab two new glasses with the same dirty gloves and gave them to us. Toilet seat was broken and moved from side to side when you used it. We ate breakfast there only once and decided to go elsewhere for other days. No coffee to begin with and the wait person was so dirty, I hated for him to touch anything I used. We will go to Vermont again, but not to Stowe inn.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Steve C, General Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Hello, Thanks for your review. Being the New GM here, all reviews are very important to me. Im very motivated to discuss and solve any problem that arrise from your stay. Im curious what room you stayed in so I can inspect these issues myself. Our Inn just received a 3 diamond rating from AAA. Our carrige house is being updated now and will continue. I have spoken to our housekeep of 9 years and she explain that her gloves were just put on and wasnt used for cleaning yet. I did however update her on proper procedures. I have questioned the breakfast staff, wich is new, solved the breakfast issues. We will continue to make progress and strive to make The Stowe Inn a great place to stay. We have numerous compliments from our guest and im truly sorry you didnot enjoy your stay. I hope you would concider giving us another try in the future! Steve

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
huntington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

We bought a voucher off living social. Arrived late, key left for us. After opening the envelope we read that we're staying in the carriage house (aka, the run down motel part). . .NOT what I paid for with my voucher. NOT happy but no one on staff at 11pm, had no choice but to spend the night in that room. The carriage house kind of skeeved me, I'm just not a motel type person. It was fairly clean but I don't know, it still skeeved me. The next morning, I called downstairs, told them my story and I have to say I got an EXTREMELY nice woman on the phone and she said "Oh they didn't tell you the Inn was booked when you called to make reservations" (UMM no!) So I told her the only thing they said was, our room would have double beds and if that was ok? (which of course I said was fine at the time) I told her I paid to stay in the INN & I wanted a room in there. They found us a room but we didn't get in until after noon. They give us the rest of our vouchers from the deal and they RAN OUT of cabot passes (how is that possible?? They know how many living social deals were booked!), then the voucher for a "nightly appetizer" had a fine print of "with entree purchase" which was not in the fine print of the deal!!! That's strike 3 at this point!!!

Breakfast was less then stellar, the eggs were gross, I had a waffle and then we didn't even use our free breakfast voucher the next day!

Our new room in the Inn was great, no complaints there.
Close to town, we could walk right in.
Again, worked with a very nice woman (forgot her name though)

I would not stay there again though. What a shame.

Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

In an fairly overpriced area, the Stowe Inn scores ok, based on price and location, service was average, the rooms in the carriage house too. Internet didnt work when we visited. Breakfast was not as good as expected, as many guests paid a heavy premium for their rooms but shared the same breakfast as us, which was just about average, not even ordinary cornflakes were available.

Room Tip: not the carriage house
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi, As the NEW GM at The Stowe Inn, I concider every review very important to me. As you know your welcome letter, posted on our door for late arrivals, from me has my personal cell phone number on it and I live on site. You can also see my contact information posted on our front door every night. I have addressed the reservation issue with our front desk and assure you that a miscommunication will not happen again. I also spoke to the front desk about accomidating you. Our checkout time is 11am and housekeeping cleans the room. Checkinn is not until 3pm. It seems that our front desk moved you asap. We are updateing our carrige house now and will continue. Cabot stopped issuing passes without informing us but we did however deduct $4 from your Taxes to make up for this. Our new staff did place the wrong voucher in your welcome envelope and this has been corrected. If you would have brought this up to our restaurant manager im sure he would have corrected this then. I appologize for not living up to your expectations and The Stowe Inn strives to make your stay even better next time and i hope you would give us a chance in the future. Steve
montreal
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

I went to the stowe inn last week with a living social voucher. The place itself is nice, charming and what you would expect from a historical building in New England. Unfortunately, the staff doesn't seem to care at all about the guests. I had my camera stolen from either the dinning room or the washroom on the first floor. Nobody except for the new (it was his second day) kitchen manager seemed to care. I asked the manager to check the security cameras and he bruched me off, saying he would later. I arrived with my firend by bus, as neither of us drive, and couldn't get any advice as to how to get around. The only advice I got was to take a taxi. My friend and I, who work in the restaurant industry in Montreal, spent most of our time talking about how much better a job we could do if we owned the place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Concord, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

Every year I like to take a trip away with just my daughter...we love the village of Stowe, VT, and have stayed many times, but last August was the first time we've stayed at the Stowe Inn. We didn't have a lot of money to spend so we booked one of the less expensive rooms in the "Carriage House"....the room was awful (and my standards aren't all that high). So awful that there was no way I'd stay there with my daughter. Its a super old motel like building, so the windows weren't flush, which is ok, but it didn't even lock & there was a gape between the frame the window itself. It just didn't feel safe. So I went to the front desk, & asked if it would be possible to upgrade & explained why. The girl behind the desk was beyond awesome! She gave me a key to a room in the main house of the Inn & told me to go check it out. It was gorgeous, a deluxe inn room with two queen beds...two glorious queen beds. I didn't even care how much it would cost me at that point, but she was more than fair (exceedingly fair)! The location is perfect, within walking distance to absolutely everything in town, close to the bike path. We didn't have dinner there, but I did get breakfast in the am, which was ok, nothing to write home about. The setting is beautiful, decor in the main inn is beautiful, but steer away from the carriage house.

Room Tip: don't try to save $ on the carriage house.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Nashua, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

Purchased a LivingSocial voucher for a two night stay in a Superior Room. Inn was overbooked for the amount of vouchers sold, was only able to use the voucher on one weekend, as a 3 night stay in the adjacent Carriage House. The desk personnel were helpful, and the inn itself was charmingly pretentious. The Carriage House is bare bones and needs a bit of TLC, definitely not high end but very basic and clean - reminiscent of an old motel. It had a tiny bathroom not big enough to change your mind in. The mattresses were comfortable. The breakfast was ok, and the location is good for walking to downtown Stowe. Not a bad weekend, but not impressive either. Not sure I'd try it again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

Based on its website, the Stowe Inn sounds and looks like a beautiful, classy, luxurious Inn with elegant suites and a world-class dining experience to boot. Upon our arrival, it was clear we had been DUPED!

THE INN: The main building - the inn itself - looks ok. However, the Carriage-House (which shares the parking lot, and is still a part of the Inn as a whole) looks like a junky strip motel. The wrap-around porch, which is bragged about on the website, is really attached to the restaurant, so it's not a place a guest can go relax by any means. The interior of the Inn looks nice on the first floor, but once you get to the 2nd floor rooms, it's downhill. We spent our entire stay with a cleaning carriage left outside of our door in the hallway. The paint is peeling, the rugs are worn, the views are bad. The Wi-Fi is hard to pick up, and very slow.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: Upon checking in, it was clear that the staff had no interest in being there, nor being welcoming. Unfortunately this attitude carried through the entire team of front-desk staff, restaurant staff, etc., This Inn is not a happy or service-focused place by any means. This became even more evident when we walked through the lobby to witness a staff (manager?) scolding the front-desk clerk in an incredibly unprofessional and demeaning manner.

THE SUITE: We had booked a Deluxe Queen Room. Although it was stated that the picture of such a room on the website wasn't guaranteed to be the one we got, we assumed it would be comparable. I've attached pictures below of the room in real life (compare to website). The bed had no headboard or frame, the rug covering the floor was clearly old and needed to be replaced, there were damaged/soft spots under the rug which felt like they would break through at any moment. The door to the "suite" didn't lock when closed unless you did a tricky maneuver to get it to work. The bathroom door closed over a bit, but didn't close all the way or lock properly. The size of the room was smaller than my freshman dorm room. It was a MAJOR disappointment.

THE FOOD: Breakfast was included, so our first morning there, we ventured to the restaurant. We discovered a very sparse continental breakfast array, and a pan of scrambled eggs. After going through 5-6 dishes that still had food residue on them, a staff asked us if we needed help. I asked if he had any cleaner dishes, to which his response was "Well, I wouldn't put out dirty dishes." I showed him a dish with old egg-matter stuck to it. He returned promptly with cleaner dishes. The tiny bit of eggs left in the pan (note, no other diners were in the restaurant) equaled less than a serving for myself and my husband. We tried them anyway, but they were cold and tough. We grabbed some coffee (that was good!) and headed out to find a real breakfast with clean plates and good service.

THE GOOD STUFF: The coffee is tasty. The location of the Inn is centrally located, as are several other Inns.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Stay somewhere else. Really.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Stowe Inn? Share your experiences!