“Worth the drive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Boston
“Worth the drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Great place, stayed there in early summer on the way to upper Vermont. Fun little town, an excellent restaurant across the street (we didn't try the restaurant at the Inn) and a nice coffee shop up the road on the Main Street. The Green Mountain's bar is small but fun, good service, inice beer selection, wines OK. King suite was very nice, in room jacuzzi, fire place, firm bed and air conditioning. Interesting front porch for people watching. Forgive the rambling, review requires 200 characters:)

Room Tip: Only stayed in a King Suite, very nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
I’m thrilled to read that your stay with us here at the Green Mountain Inn was so enjoyable! It sounds as if you were able to relax a little and take a moment to sit and just enjoy what makes Stowe such a great place to visit. Please come back and visit with us again soon and I thank you for your lovely review. I hope your trip to Northern Vermont was just as memorable.

Patti Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights on our sightseeing fortnight around New England. The accommodation was very good we stayed in a deluxe king room. The Inn is centrally located in town and so all amenities are to hand. They are currently renovating the outside pool area so this was off limits but they did give access to the local town pool if required. Our only disappointment was the Whip Bar restaurant where the service was appalling. To be fair when we checked out the Reception Manager asked hoe our stay had gone and upon learning of our poor dining experience did offer a discount on the food bill that was charged to our room so we were pleased that some recognition had been given. I'd recommend staying here just be cautious choosing where to eat. We ate at Harrison's across the road on our second night and the food and service were excellent.

Room Tip: Choose at least a deluxe king canopy room you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
First and foremost, let me apologize for the service you experienced at our in-house restaurant. It was not at all what we expect for any of our guests. I am happy to hear that your concerns were recognized by our staff and handled appropriately. At the Green Mountain Inn, we wish for each of our guests to leave here with wonderful memories of a relaxing stay and attentive service. I do hope that we can look forward to welcoming you back again very soon and I thank you for your kind review.

Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Green Mountain Inn lived up to expectations. I had booked two rooms, my wife and I had a room in the annex (305) and our friend had a room in the main house. the rooms in the main building are slightly better and the environment in lovely, however we are not complaining.

In the main part of the Inn the decor has lots of naive art, murals, pictures and lovely wallpapers and furnishings. It was like stepping back in time (in a good way!) we loved it. We stayed here only one night but did eat in the restaurant and our meals were all excellent.The staff were attentive and we could have used the spar facilities had we had more time.

Would we go back? You bet!

Room Tip: We thought from our experience that the rooms in the main building had more character but we have no...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Every building at the Green Mountain Inn has a special quality about it…from historic pictures and period furniture to charming fireplaces and four-poster beds, and I’m thrilled that you had the opportunity to enjoy some of that. I’m so happy that the by-gone charm of the Inn added an extra-special touch to your stay! It would be our pleasure to provide you with accommodations in the future, and please don’t hesitate to let us know your preferences. Thank you for your kind review and I look forward to seeing you soon.

Long Island, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Green Mountain Inn for Memorial Day Weekend. We pulled in on Saturday afternoon and found the front desk to be very helpful/accommodating. The parking lot was sufficient.

We were assigned a room in the "annex" area- right attached to the main building, but we had to walk outside to enter the room. The room was spacious for two people and had a nice balcony area. Decor looked antique, but we had modern amenities/desk. The closet was gigantic. There was no mini-fridge, which would have been useful. The bathroom was beautifully updated with granite. The room could have used some more light in the evening, but the bed was comfortable.

Housekeeping at this hotel was one of the best I've ever had. They clearly vacuumed the room each day and everything was immaculate. The bathroom had a tub/shower combo with a hard casing at the top, which I know is hard to keep clean, and it was totally clean. The free toiletries (shampoo, conditioner, soap) were very good quality.

We ate at the hotel's restaurant and thought it was great. They make their own fresh bread and the cheese platter was amazing.

Now the downside- our first morning there was a horrible noise coming from the bathroom area which sounded like a jackhammer around 7 am. It actually made the room shake because of vibration. I was about to call the front desk to complain (after about 10 minutes) when it stopped and I tried to go back to sleep. I later discovered that when we turned on the hot water in our shower, we also had the same noise/vibration, so I suspect it may have come from an upstairs room. On Tuesday morning at 7 am, again, we had loud noise, this time from the construction workers outside of our balcony. My husband visited the front desk and was told that construction wasn't supposed to start so early in the morning, but that was the best they could do. We had really looked forward to a couple of mornings where we could "sleep in" on this trip, so that was disappointing.

Also, due to construction by the pool and restaurant area, the view from our balcony was awful- basically a dirty construction site, and offered no privacy. We were told that we could use a pool at a neighboring facility since the Inn's was under construction, but didn't try that.

Lastly, the bathroom was cold. It was a chilly weekend in Vermont, so we had the heat turned on in our room, but it didn't help in the bathroom. We showered and ran into the bedroom to get dressed.

Despite the negatives, we enjoyed our stay. The hotel has a great location in the Stowe area, and most of the bad things SHOULD be fixed up over time. I would definitely give this Inn another stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
I am extremely grateful for your kind comments and also for letting me know exactly what inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay at the Green Mountain Inn. We are trying very hard to ensure that our renovations do not inconvenience our guests in any way, so hearing that your stay was not as restful as it should have been is certainly concerning. I will be sure to have our Maintenance Engineers look into what may have been the problem with the noisy pipes. I absolutely look forward to having you return in the future when everything is finished to enjoy the exceptional stay that you deserve. Thank you for your review.

Clare
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We spent two nights at the Green Mountain Inn in the beautiful Stowe. I would highly recommend this Inn. I stayed there in August 2012 with my husband and three children aged 10, 8 and 7. We had an annexe room by the pool which actually turned out to be two bedrooms with two bathrooms, the kids loved having a separate bedroom with their own tv. They also loved being right beside the pool which they could swim in at night after we came back from dinner, very special treat for them being able to swim in the dark.
The location is wonderul right in the heart of Stowe, the hotel itself has a small intimate feel about it. We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: The annexe by the pool is fantastic for families
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
It’s wonderful to hear that your family had such an enjoyable time while staying at the Green Mountain Inn. I’m sure your children took away some great memories of their nighttime swims and I hope you and your husband were able to relax a little and enjoy a little time to yourselves too. Thank you for mentioning our convenient location and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back for many more years to come. Thank you for your gracious review.

kc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

This is a late review, we went in December 2012.
We wanted the amenities of a hotel but the comfort of a cozy mountain lodge/bed & breakfast type place, and this was the perfect mix. Service is friendly and professional. There's a daily afternoon tea time with games, and a great breakfast buffet every morning. We bought the option that includes daily hot breakfast (which is extra, it is not usually included but quite worth it).

Location is right in the heart of downtown stowe, near lots of shops and restaurants. It abuts the drive up to the mountain if you want to go skiing, and has lots of parking in the back.

We didn't rent a car because there is a shuttle that goes all the way up and down the mountain, but be warned it doesn't run late at night if you plan to be out for a while (and Stowe is certainly not full of cabs).

The pool and hot tub are AMAZING. Yes, even in the winter, their outdoor pool is heated so you can go back and forth from hot tub to pool! They also have an exercise room.

The Whip restaurant attached is wonderful. Also cozy and warm, great place for drinks. See my review on yelp.

I highly recommend this place. We met people who came to stowe annually and always stayed here - and I completely understand. It's a wonderful (and affordable) option and I would pick it again. I encourage you to try it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Your review has certainly made me smile! I’m thrilled that your recent stay at the Green Mountain Inn was the exact description of what we want every guest to experience. Knowing that you received exactly what you needed to make your stay in Stowe a memorable and ultimately satisfying one is so important. With so many things to do in and around Stowe, our Inn puts in the perfect place to explore the area, without being too far away from the comfort of your guestroom. Thank you so much for your kind recommendation and for sharing exactly what makes our Inn a great place to stay. Thank you for your review.

Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed a night in Stowe mid-May en route from New Hampshire to Quebec. It was our first time in Vermont and we couldn't have picked a better location. If you want to be in Stowe then the Green Mountain Inn is your best choice. The next day (after visiting the nearby covered bridges) we drove over Mountain Road and through the Notch and saw that a lot of the other hotels are situated along Mountain Road and so are closer to skiing but further away from the village. Our room was very comfortable while still maintaining the historic character of the inn. The large bathroom had a huge jacuzzi tub. We caught the last day of a special b&b package - breakfast was wonderful - so it's a good idea to check the hotel's website before booking. For dinner we chose to eat at Harrisons based on the reviews on this site - it was great and is right across the street from the Inn so we didn't have to drive anywhere. The restaurant at the Inn looked good too but we didn't have a chance to try it as we only had one night there. The Inn's staff were friendly and couldn't have been more helpful.

Room Tip: Check the hotel's website - there are several different room categories and locations. In addit...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
How wonderful that the Green Mountain Inn was a restful stop for you on a beautiful journey through New England. It makes me very happy to learn that our staff helped to create an experience that was memorable. I am always so flattered to receive the high praise from our guests who really enjoy the Inn’s homey feel and true Vermont ambiance. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back to our Inn in the future and I thank you for your kind review.

Patti Clark

Been to Green Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!