“Wow factor here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
Leicestershire
“Wow factor here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2007

This was a really nice hotel in a really nice town.

check in was prompt and friendly.

Rooms are huge !!! we had a deluxe fireplace room and it was fantastic. 4 poster bed was large and comfy , and bathroom was very smart.

highley recommended !!!!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
East Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

We had a very nice 2 night stay at this attractive hotel right in the centre of Stowe. We found the reception staff to be very busy and somewhat harrassed and rather unwelcoming. They were also quite unhelpful when we asked them the next morning on our way out for the day to reserve a table in the hotel restaurant for that evening. The young man seemed perplexed by our request and suggested that we ring the restaurant ourselves from our mobile phone when it opened at 11.00am. We pointed out that neither of our phones could obtain a signal anywhere in this region and it seemed ridiculous considering all he had to do was call the extension number! He did, however, manage to do this small request for us in the end! Our room was a fireplace room which was absolutely gorgeous with a four poster bed and a large jacuzzi bath. The fire made the room really cosy, especially as there was thunder and lightening going on outside! There seemed to be a bit of a problem the next day though, as no clean towels were left until much later in the day, although a note of apology was left by housekeeping staff. That was fair enough, but they also failed to replenish the complimentary coffee, soap, shampoo etc. which I felt was poor for such a hotel. This aside, we really liked the hotel and dined in their restaurant on both nights because the food was really excellent and inexpensive.

• Liked — Beautiful room
  • Disliked — Unhelpful staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Wenatchee, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2007

We popped in to Stowe for one night as we were driving through on Highway 100. This is the first hotel we saw, and it being the fall foliage season, we thought we better book it since we were warned that everything fills up fast. Although the property itself is nice, I have NEVER stayed in a louder room - - even in downtown San Francisco where the sirens are blaring all night long. There must have been some major construction because there were dump trucks that stopped and started every two seconds right in front of the hotel (it is a 3-way stop with no light, so everyone has to stop and start again). The room itself was very nice. The front desk was wonderful. They honored a lower rate for a nicer room without being asked. I would recommend this hotel, just be sure to get a room that doesn't face the highway (I don't know if that is easy since the highway runs through the town) but it is a very charming place. I suspect we got a loud room because they give the reservations the better rooms. Oh, and one more thing..the stairs are a killer if you have heavy stuff you are toting around...no elevators but we found this is common in New England....no ADA checks there!

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

After using TripAdvisor religiously over the past year, it never ceases to amaze me how two people can see the same property so differently. I think this is for two main reasons: everyone has different standards and expectations, and most people only stay at a hotel once, so their opinion depends solely on that one stay.

I travel to Stowe quite often and have stayed in dozens of properties in Stowe, and my last 10+ stays have been at the Green Mountain Inn. I've never read the reviews until now, but I will say that in my experience, it's all true - the good as well as the bad. Here's why I stay at the Green Mountain Inn:

1. Relatively good value for Stowe - Stowe has some of the most overpriced awful hotels anywhere. Green Mountain Inn isn't cheap (and the price varies widely by season) but it's not egregious compared to other places. They have a frequent stay program which gives a free night after the eighth night.
2. Convenient - Most (but not all) of the rooms have good wi-fi internet access, there is a computer on the second floor and one in the lobby, it's the only hotel in downtown Stowe so you can walk all around including the Shaw's general store and shops next door (Vermont Ski Museum is next door on the left), there's plenty of parking right on-site, if you arrive late The Whip restaurant in the basement is one of the last places in Stowe to close (others include The Shed, The Rusty Nail and the Sunset Grill).
3. Quaint - It looks like a hotel in Vermont should look - red clapboard siding, wood floors which aren't even, ancient and steep stairways, circuitous hallways, historical pictures on the wall - it's why we all love Vermont. For a quintessential Vermont experience, I get a quick bite next door in the morning and see the same five guys there every time, chatting away about local and national politics.
4. Good front desk - They're all Vermonters - no nonsense, friendly, efficient and by the book.
5. Most of the rooms have been renovated - make sure you ask for one because there's a huge difference - the newer rooms have flatscreen TV's (not smaller 17" picture tubes), big soaking tubs, new bathrooms, nice wallpapering and wood wainscoat
6. Some people think the food in Stowe is excellent, others call it highly overrated. I say it's not cheap but there are lots of good places to eat (Mes Amis, Michaels, Blue Moon are my favorites), and the Whip is perfect comfort food on a cold winter's night - it feels like the neighborhood dining room - Stowe's version of Cheers. Moreover, the breakfast buffet is excellent.

With that said, here are some things to be aware of:
1. Don't stay in one of the older rooms on the main road - Vermont 100 is the main street through town and any and all trucks (and there is a lot of construction in Stowe right now) seem to pass right outside your window before you're ready to get up
2. Some rooms are small, and if you only have one bed in your room, it's probably small
3. Wi-fi doesn't always work
4. Keys don't always work
5. Front desk people go to sleep at some point and it can be inconvenient if you come in late
6. Some rooms require you to walk outside which can be a pain if you just lugged your luggage to the front desk and then have to go back outside when it's 30 below (which is not uncommon in Stowe). Also, if you don't like stairs and/or you must have elevators, this isn't your place.
7. You're in Stowe so things close at night and I've had to go to the gas station across the street to get food sometimes
8. You're in Downtown Stowe which means that if you really want to be close to skiing you've got a drive which is anywhere from 15 minutes to tomorrow depending on the traffic along Mountain Road - 2 lanes - one way in, one way out. If you want to be close to the mountain, Topnotch is the closest luxury bet and the Inn at the Mountain is the closest.

Like anything, I've grown used to the Green Mountain Inn, faults and all. I've often thought that I could probably do better, but it's going to cost me a lot more, and there are no guarantees. It's like my comfortable blanket with holes in it. I could just buy a new blanket without the holes in it, but I'm attached to the one I've got and it keeps me warm at night, and that's the way I like it.

• Liked — Quaint, not too expensive, Downtown Stowe location
  • Disliked — It's like an old house - some things don't work very well
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

My wife and I found the Green Mountain Inn while searching for hotels near Stowe for a family wedding. We booked two months in advance for a suite for four that included breakfast.

We arrived in the town of Stowe and enjoyed the layout of our suite in the Mansfield House. At first I was taken aback that the building we were in was so far from the main building, but it ended up being closer than I thought and it suited our needs well.

We enjoyed the daily breakfasts and afternoon teas but opted for dinner a little more suited to our kid's needs and went up Mountain Road for pizza and mexican food. My kids utilized the heated outdoor pool "very nice, but only 6' deep so no diving board" and they loved our in-room Jacuzzi and fireplace. The kingsize bed was quite comfortable; I slept wonderfully here compared to three other hotels the previous week and thought the rooms were well-designed and comfortable.

While the hotel seems a little pricey at first compared to other three star resorts, I think there is a level of service and quality that is appropriate. I would bring my family here again with no reservations --but make reservations! They were completely sold out!

We took a day trip to Eden Lodge for Dogsledding (actually dog-carting, as we went in the summer- no snow!) and had a BLAST! A once-in-a-lifetime special event, our family (kids 6&8) were able to meet the animals, hook them up to their harnesses and the cart, ride with them through the trails, then afterwards water, feed, and play with them. What a treat! For a family of four our cost was the same as two tickets to a Broadway show, so it's not inexpensive, but the experience was extraordinary. Not to be missed if you are animal lover and understand dogs, but expect to have a somewhat rugged and messy experience. An amazing visit, with luxury in Stowe and perfection in Eden.

Stayed August 2007
Rochester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2007

Stayed in huge NATIONAL apartment in MANSFIELD block attached to Inn. 2 x 55" TVs, massive lounge and bedroom, impressive kitchen with all appliances required. Son loved fooseball table in lounge! Breakfast very good and staff in restaurant very helpful. Only criticism would be abrupt manner of some of the front desk staff.

• Liked — Size of the rooms and decor.
  • Disliked — mattress!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

There were so many little problems that marred our stay. We booked a townhouse for a week because we have teen and pre-teen children (2) and so wanted the space/kitchen. The townhouse looked fine, but soon enough we ran into some problems and disappointments. First, the keys we were given at check-in didn't work. Luckily, I had asked the clerk for his phone number when we checked in, so I was able to call on my cell phone, and we waited for a new set to be delivered to us.

Once inside, we were initially quite pleased. The kitchen was fine and reasonably well equipped. The bedrooms and living room were nice, and tastefully decorated. But then the issues started popping up. We found that although there was a small porch, it did not have a comfortable chair and it faced sort of an eyesore of a back road. With all the wonderful scenery in VT, this was a big disappointment. Also, the curtain rod over the sliding door to the porch was coming out of the wall and the lights in the master walk-through closet didn't work. The shower/whirlpool combo in the master bath was dangerous in my opinion - too deep to reasonably step in/out (especially with wet feet). I ended up showering in the kids' bathroom.

The biggest problem though was that getting housekeeping service was a nightmare. Every day we saw the housekeeping cart in the parking lot, and every day we waited, waited, and begged for service. One day we never got service, and the next day the excuse was that the housekeeper had gone home sick. When we did get service, they did not include going over the kitchen. For the amount of $$$ we spent, we expected better.

As for amenities, we only used the pool. We thought the water had a very odd taste/smell (not that we drank it, but the taste does get on one's lips), and one day there was a terrible ... sewer ... smell in the pool area.

Overall, If I were looking for a townhouse, I'd find somewhere else to stay around Stowe next time. I cannot speak to the main hotel, however.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service, upkeep
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Green Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!