“Lovely hotel, but just not 5 Star” 4 of 5 stars

Best Available Rates
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Westchester, NY
“Lovely hotel, but just not 5 Star”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I wholeheartedly agree with MGS227. Stowe Mountain Lodge is a 3 or 4 star hotel that wants to be 5 stars, but just doesn't put forward the extra touches and service. We were on an American Express Platinum Package which includes a room upgrade, if available. There were plenty of rooms available, but we had to actually ask for the upgrade. (It should be given automatically.) We were asked to wait an hour or two and they would have an upgraded room available for us. They suggested we have a drink in the lounge while we waited, but did not offer to comp the drinks. The first room we were given was clearly an upgrade - a large suite, but it also smelled badly and had food and dirt on the floor in the living area and bedroom. We were then told it would take another hour or two for another upgraded room. We went to dinner and when we returned, we were given a suite albeit, much smaller than the first room. Overall, the hotel was beautiful with wonderful amenities. They just need to step up their service game:
- housekeeping is not that of a 5 star hotel. Towels were changed and beds made...that's it.
- pool service (towel service, chair set-up, food etc...) is lacking although the pool area is quite nice
- service needs to be improved (The concierge is below par for a hotel of this caliber. Staff is friendly but doesn't go the extra mile).

We actually liked Stowe Mountain Lodge as the lounge and restaurants were very nice, the lobby is warm and inviting, and the room was nice as well. We just wish the service at the hotel was better. It would have made all the difference.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Stowe Mountain Lodge tries really hard. I'll give it that. I was continually reminded of the theme song from Cheers ("Sometimes you want to go where everybody knows your name…."). Everywhere we went, the staff knew who we were and greeted us by name and asked how that particular day's activities went ("Hello Mr, X- how was your bike ride). They were all very nice and eager to help. That was the best part.
My wife actually said it best, when she said it was a 3 star hotel that wanted to be a 5 star hotel. It's the little things that make the difference in the best of stays.
Unfortunately, many little things were disappointing at SML:

Upon arrival the stopper in the bathtub was broken (though it was quickly fixed).

There was a jagged/broken piece of plastic in the shower drain that I luckily saw before I had the chance to cut myself on it.

WiFi service is spotty at best. Most of the time it was either intermittent or completely unavailable. When it was available it was slower than dial up service used to be 15 years ago. This was very frustrating as there is very little cell reception as well and I was supposed to be doing some work while also on vacation.

They ran out of towels at the pool the first day we were there before we got there. There were explanations about overuse and a late shipment, but how does a resort run out of towels?

The food at the pool was also pretty bad. It took a very long time to arrive and the waiter had given us wrong information about what we ordered.

My wife was also given totally incorrect information about the spa when we booked. We were told that the spa facilities would be available to guests of the Lodge but not if you booked through an owner. Not true. There is a daily fee for spa facility usage. What's more, when my wife asked to take a look at the spa facilities they would not even let her take a look. She did wind up booking a treatment that she enjoyed, but this was not good customer service at all.

When housekeeping made up our room every morning, they woudl never leave fresh supplies (shampoo, conditioner, bath gel). I always had to track them down to replenish.

As noted, the room was comfortable and the staff was very nice, but you expect more from a property of this reputation.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We appreciate hearing about your recent stay. We are currently addressing the WIFI opportunity and are able to boost signal in any given location throughout the Lodge. Your comments regarding the pool dining, as well as the general room maintenance are being addressed in a training environment.

Please let me know if you plan to visit the area in advance. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to exceed your expectations.

toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Alright so this was our second time. We went over July 4th weekend and had an absolute blast. so much so that we after driving about 2 hours to get back home, we turned around and went back for another night. Why, why not. The staff was wonderful, the hotel is outstanding, hiking is spectacular, bike riding fun and the residents of Stowe welcome you with a smile and open arms. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: Can't help with this one. we had a view of the front which included a stunning mountain view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
WOW! Thank you for returning to Stowe Mountain Lodge - so soon! We love hearing stories like this. We look forward to seeing you again….whenever you like!

The Woodlands, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family of four stayed two nights at the Stowe Mountain Lodge in early July 2014. Despite checking in late in the evening, the friendly young lady working the check-in desk (I wish I could remember her name!) was able to upgrade us to a suite (with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer - quite helpful given the dirty clothes that we had accumulated during our ongoing road trip); she was also quite accommodating regarding our request for sandwiches to be made and delivered to our room early the following morning to take on our zipline tour (at ArborTrek). The rest of the staff (housekeeping, valets and bellhops) were also well trained and quite friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs and pleasing their guests. Unlike my stay at the equally pricey Hershey Hotel (in Hershey, PA), at Stowe Mountain Lodge I feel like I got a premium hotel experience and premium service for the premium price paid. I plan to make Stowe, VT part of our next trip to the northeast and to stay again at Stowe Mountain Lodge.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the glowing review of Stowe Mountain Lodge! We are thrilled to hear about your visit during your road trip and look forward to your return to Stowe, Vermont.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

The hotel itself it's beautiful, the service amazing... And thank god it is because of the price you pay for everything to stay at this resort. Don't forget your toothbrush or else you can get a really expensive one. No complimentary items here. Only disappointing part was after visiting the spa we, the bridal party were required to take off our own shellac polish, and it was replaced with regular nail polish. No one uses that anymore!!!! Ah! Not worth the price. The spa staff however were super sweet, but need to have more staff on hand to take care of a bridal party. We spent 6 hours in there and all had to redo our nails the next day, and change our makeup. However the wedding planner was AMAZING and made my best friends wedding a dream come true. Don't think I would go back for a stay, but was nice to visit.

Stayed July 2014
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Stowe Mountain Lodge and our Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience at The Spa. I have shared your experience with our team at The Spa in a training environment. Kindly reach out to me at the Lodge with any more questions or comments.

Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at the Stowe Mountain Lodge in late June. The resort is very nice. The lobby is expansive and well appointed, and our room was comfortable. They even let us self park in the lot next to the hotel so we would not have to pay $21 per day for valet parking. I imagine this is not possible during the winter. They did try to have my sign some paper that I think would have signed me up for timeshare presentations, but I refused to do so and it wasn't an issue.

We stayed in the Timberline studio. It had plenty of space and decent stocked kitchenette if we wanted to cook. The bathroom was nice with a separate shower. There were some issues: There are no electrical outlets anywhere near the desk. I had to run the plug for my laptop to the other side of the room. Additionally, the wireless Internet was experiencing severe problems. I encountered major packet loss and could barely load any pages.

The resort itself is very nice. But the big problem we had was that virtually nothing is active at Stowe during the summer. None of the shops are open. The cafeterias are not open. There was construction everywhere. Even the gondola was not operating. I talked with a staff member in reservations, and he failed to mention that the gondola would not be operating this summer. Apparently Stowe planned to open a chairlift for the July 4th weekend, but we left before then.

Note that the Lodge is at the base of Spruce Peak. This is where the Alpine Slides are located. But the hiking and views are on Mt. Mansfield, which is nearly a half mile from the hotel. During winter there is a gondola to transport you to Mt. Mansfield. This was not operating while we were there. I don't know if it was closed for the summer or if this was due to gondola maintenance.

If Stowe was more active in the summer like other ski resorts, the Stowe Mountain Lodge might be a great place to stay. For us, it ended up being a pretty resort in the middle of nowhere with virtually nothing going on. I'm sure it's nice (and very expensive) during the winter.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate hearing your perspective and thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in offering a variety of experiences for all travelers; including dynamic group functions, romantic getaways, and family adventures. Our Alpine Concierge is pleased to fine tune our guest’s visit and we are always happy to offer a more personalized experience.

Belmont, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We recently visited the Lodge as a large group (three families) and the experience was excellent.

As soon as we pulled into the driveway, the service was wonderful. All the staff were very friendly and welcoming, but Stephen at the front desk was outstanding. His ability to accommodate all our needs (without skipping a beat) was exceptional. We've traveled throughout the US staying at the Ritz properties and the level of service is similar. Kudos to Stephen and the management team.

Highlights of the trip:
Swimming in the pool - large, clean pool without the crowds of summer
Zip lining in Smugglers Notch. - little scary, but very fun adventure
Hiking to Bingham Falls swimming hole - absolutely beautiful spot and refreshing water
Gazing at the star from the patio

Thank you for a memorable vacation.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Stowe Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!